Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade Technical and Restoration > Tech, Maintenance & Repairs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Where to add 3 more buttons?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keeponjammin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where to add 3 more buttons?
    Posted: 16 April 2018 at 8:18pm
Hi Guys,
I recently got myself this arcade cab. However it only has 3 buttons. Due to the start button it's pretty hard to add more. Maybe some of you guys could shed some light on where to put them. Looking forward to your responses!
keeponjammin View Drop Down
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keeponjammin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2018 at 8:19pm
Picture insertion does not seem to work properly. Link is here:
https://i.imgur.com/cxGbCLt.jpg

Edited by penrhos - 16 April 2018 at 8:26pm
Flinnster View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2018 at 8:36pm
You will probably want to have a new panel made. The coach bolts around the edge of that existing one will allow it to be removed from the front of your cabinet.

Then, see the example joystick layouts here, one of the most useful pages on the internet:
http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/layout.html
Wanted:
- PCBs: Rainbow Islands, Rolling Thunder
- Parts: Naomi non-swivel castor wheel, coin mech metal clip for Dino King Door
- House Extension
damagestar View Drop Down
Patreon
Patreon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damagestar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2018 at 8:51pm

There you go mate.

Could do with seeing a photo from underneath as well to answer the question properly.
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keeponjammin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2018 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by Flinnster Flinnster wrote:

You will probably want to have a new panel made.
Hmm. That's what I was afraid for. Might have to look into that.

Originally posted by damagestar damagestar wrote:

There you go mate.
Thanks for this. It ain't easy being new here. Tongue
strykr View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen
Dragooooooo!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strykr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2018 at 9:00pm
As Finnster said best to get a new panel cut and a new overlay. Leave that one original and just remove it. Gonna be a bit cramped on there with 6 buttons per player.... any way of losing the ashtrays and making it bigger?

Edited by strykr - 16 April 2018 at 9:01pm
Wanted - Electrocoin Wheels Runner Cabinet http://tinyurl.com/oq6dkau
Badlands & Champ sprint TG mame WR holder
Flinnster View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2018 at 9:00pm
Flat panels are not that hard to make up. Curved and oddly shaped ones are far harder Thumbs Up
Wanted:
- PCBs: Rainbow Islands, Rolling Thunder
- Parts: Naomi non-swivel castor wheel, coin mech metal clip for Dino King Door
- House Extension
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keeponjammin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2018 at 10:55pm
I should be able to remove those even though I think they look rad. Gives me the fuzzy feeling of smoking inside and tar everywhere from back in the day.
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keeponjammin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2018 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by Flinnster Flinnster wrote:

Flat panels are not that hard to make up. Curved and oddly shaped ones are far harder Thumbs Up

Did some research inside the cab. I Should be able to remove the panel. 
Patreon
Patreon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damagestar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2018 at 11:03pm
The solution is simple. Leave this one as it is and buy another one with 6 button layout Smile
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keeponjammin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2018 at 12:34pm

The solution is simple. Leave this one as it is and buy another one with 6 button layout Smile

Buy? Or build Smile
big10p View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2018 at 12:47pm
That looks like one of the easiest control panels to replace - assuming the silver coach bolts are all that's holding it down? Just get a piece of sheet steel cut to size, then you can cut the button and joystick holes, using a qmax hole cutter/punch.
Patreon
Patreon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damagestar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2018 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by keeponjammin keeponjammin wrote:

Buy? Or build Smile

Sorry I wasn't very clear. I ment to say keep this cab as it is and buy another cab that already has 6 buttons per player. Was only half joking though Wink

If you definitely need the 6 buttons just carefully take that panel off and as others have said buy some steel panel and make it yourself. Cheapest and easiest option though would be to go to a local sign making compamy and ask for some dibond/alupanel (they may do it you for free) cut to size from their off cuts then you can very easily drill the holes with a step drill. Then get a new cpo printed and wrap it including the edges.
Obviously keep the original panel nice and safe for the future when you have more cabs and decide it would have probably been better keeping this one in its original condition Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic