Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade Technical and Restoration > Pandoras Box
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which one to buy?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keeponjammin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which one to buy?
    Posted: 16 April 2018 at 7:53pm
Hi Guys,
Recently got myself an full size arcade cabinet. Came with an original Pandora's box 4s. After reading the forum and the state the official one is currently in i'm looking to upgrade and run Retroarch (or something similar). This brings me to my question:
Which one should I get? Moonlight version or Austar? Are there any other things I need to look out for? Like a clone of a clone? It's a CGA cab using the (ch/j)amma interface.

Looking forward to your responses!
Flinnster View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2018 at 8:07pm
They are all flawed in some way. But it ultimately depends on what you want to play mostly, and how.
If you just want a large list of games and like fighters, and are not that hung up on 100% accuracy, pandoras box etc.. are fine - you won't get a massive amount more upgrading from a 4s to a 5 or any of the various bootleg flavours.

If you have a handful of favourites or are not in any way interested in fighting games, then you'll find a pi to jamma based solution far more flexible for your needs. And it'll run many more games, far more accurately.
Wanted:
- PCBs: Rainbow Islands, Rolling Thunder
- Parts: Naomi non-swivel castor wheel, coin mech metal clip for Dino King Door
- House Extension
keeponjammin View Drop Down
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keeponjammin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2018 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by Flinnster Flinnster wrote:

They are all flawed in some way. But it ultimately depends on what you want to play mostly, and how.
I guess you are right. Thanks for the information.

Originally posted by Flinnster Flinnster wrote:

If you have a handful of favourites or are not in any way interested in fighting games, then you'll find a pi to jamma based solution far more flexible for your needs. And it'll run many more games, far more accurately.
Something to consider in the future. Big smile

Edited by keeponjammin - 16 April 2018 at 8:59pm
strykr View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen
Dragooooooo!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strykr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2018 at 9:26pm
get an old dual core or quad core, a soft 15/groovy mame compatible gfx card  and a jpac will play all you want Smile 

Wanted - Electrocoin Wheels Runner Cabinet http://tinyurl.com/oq6dkau
Badlands & Champ sprint TG mame WR holder
myzar View Drop Down
High Score
High Score

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myzar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2018 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by keeponjammin keeponjammin wrote:

Hi Guys,
Recently got myself an full size arcade cabinet. Came with an original Pandora's box 4s. After reading the forum and the state the official one is currently in i'm looking to upgrade and run Retroarch (or something similar). This brings me to my question:
Which one should I get? Moonlight version or Austar? Are there any other things I need to look out for? Like a clone of a clone? It's a CGA cab using the (ch/j)amma interface.

Looking forward to your responses!

if you want to run retroarch and openpb4 austar , which one is in your cab ? maybe you've an austar already
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keeponjammin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2018 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by myzar myzar wrote:

if you want to run retroarch and openpb4 austar , which one is in your cab ? maybe you've an austar already

Xiyangyangs2_v21 Rev 2016.12.02

I believe this is one of the original ones. Here is a picture: 

Edited by keeponjammin - 16 April 2018 at 10:52pm
myzar View Drop Down
High Score
High Score

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myzar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2018 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by keeponjammin keeponjammin wrote:

Xiyangyangs2_v21 Rev 2016.12.02

I believe this is one of the original ones. Here is a picture: 

That's a 3A doesn't work with retroarch yet , get a cheap austar clone like this one

https://www.ebay.it/itm/999-in-1-Multi-Arcade-Classic-Jamma-Game-PCB-Board-HDMI-VGA-For-Pandora-Box-5S/232710984039

It's crap like the one you've in the cab now , but you'll able to enjoy openpb4 & retroarch if that's your goal

Edited by myzar - 17 April 2018 at 11:42pm
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keeponjammin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2018 at 12:34pm

It's crap like the one you've in the cab now , but you'll able to enjoy openpb4 & retroarch if that's your goal

In that case I shall wait untill something better comes along.
Thanks for the info!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic