Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade Technical and Restoration > Pandoras Box
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pandoras Box -> Pi3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ninjabadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pandoras Box -> Pi3
    Posted: 12 February 2018 at 1:20pm
Hi Guys,

A little disappointed with the emulation performance of my Pandora's box 5 (Genuine 960 in 1).
I've seen people recommend I use a Pi3 instead.

I know my official arcade sticks have 2 USB outs to use with PC, PS3 etc. and am hoping they will work on the Pi3 I have just now ordered.  Assuming it should if PC compatible.

Anyone know how the joysticks work with the Pi?  I mean does the pandoras box need to be turned on or do the joystick functions work independently?

Also has anyone got an idea of a Pi Image that would be good to use?  Pref just arcade games but would be happy with others too.

Thanks

Edited by ninjabadger - 12 February 2018 at 1:53pm
djlunchbox View Drop Down
Bonus Stage
Bonus Stage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djlunchbox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2018 at 8:16pm
Did you grow up on all arcade versions?

I'm curious to know what you're looking at? Can you see the framerate drop? I know there's a few with screen tearing but how much of a bother is it actually?

TBH i don't actually see the differences between the CPS games on the PB vs the RPI and I have both. 

There's plenty of images out there, however know you'll end up tinkering more with the RPI than actually playing. 
Late nights, early flights. VIP drinks for free.
Flinnster View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2018 at 9:58pm
ArPiCade image for the pi is pretty good. USB arcade sticks will appear on the pi as usb joystick devices. So it'll just be a case of reconfiguring mame / retroarch to use the right buttons as you wish.

My image uses attractmode for the frontend. I made an attractmode theme of the Pandoras Box interface a long while ago.

Wanted:
- PCBs: Rainbow Islands, Rolling Thunder
- Parts: Naomi non-swivel castor wheel, coin mech metal clip for Dino King Door
- House Extension
ninjabadger View Drop Down
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ninjabadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2018 at 8:39am
Thanks for the comments guys,

I've been lucky enough to own a fair amount of genuine hardware over the years.  Following that I had an overpowered PC running a modded MAME which ran beautifully.

As such it's quite obvious to me a chunk of the PB games have frame skipping, screen tearing a sound issues.

Just fire up Wonderboy in Monsterland, Green Beret or Elevator Action Returns on the PB5 if you want an example of these.

Now, for what the unit costs you really can not complain.  Bang for buck on these is fantastic.
But because I've been spoilt in the past I think is the more the problem.  Don't get me wrong, a lot of games run perfectly.

I guess I could hide the games that run poorly but think that defeats the object.  Also I do miss high-score saves.

I must admit, I thought I'd hate the default filters used "quality optimisation", however on a 28" screen I've become quite fond of them and hope I can find something similar on the Pi.

My Pi should arrive today so if I get chance to set it up I'll try the suggested image.
Hopefully I don't have to do too much messing around to make it see both controllers.  My PB5 has 2 USB ports and 2 cables so think they may have fixed that issue, we will see.

Cheers.

Flinnster View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2018 at 11:35am
Yeah Pandora's box is eternally plagued by running in high res mode, yet it's running low res games in the main, so they are all being rendered out at 4x the raw pixel cost on a processor that can't really handle them.
If they made the thing 320x240 native, I swear it would bloody fly on everything, but they are clearly chasing HDMI out for modern day devices, not creating something for the old school. Shame.

In comparison the Pi has at least a 20% faster processor and is rendering out just 25% of the pixels that the Pandora is on native 15Khz out. No filters are needed. And it's more easily customised in terms of game lists and updating emulator versions etc..

WBML / WB3 running fine on my pi, as is Green Beret.

Elevator Action Returns uses a lot of transparency and sprite scaling / rotation, so while I have played it, there was a little slowdown in places where a lot is going on.

They all look great on a 29" CRT though.. If you are using HDMI to a modern TV with filters, you can activate the CRT filters - they are reasonably good, but I'd still side with CRT in a cab or a decent PVM in preference.

I shall have to do some videos I think of people's fave games running. Everyone seems to think there has been no difference between a pi2 and a pi3 Wink

Wanted:
- PCBs: Rainbow Islands, Rolling Thunder
- Parts: Naomi non-swivel castor wheel, coin mech metal clip for Dino King Door
- House Extension
djlunchbox View Drop Down
Bonus Stage
Bonus Stage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote djlunchbox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2018 at 2:23am
I got you. 

Well depending on what games you're looking for i have a few images to suggest. I built my nieces a nice 32gb image with about 7000 games, 920+ arcade games. It's pure 8 and 16 bit goodness. NES, SNES,, SMS, Megadirve GB, GBC, GBA, Turbografx, neo geo and some PC games as well as vectrex. Here's a link to the review of it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgHCkD74Qkc
Late nights, early flights. VIP drinks for free.
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ninjabadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2018 at 9:09am
Originally posted by djlunchbox djlunchbox wrote:

I got you. 

Well depending on what games you're looking for i have a few images to suggest. I built my nieces a nice 32gb image with about 7000 games, 920+ arcade games. It's pure 8 and 16 bit goodness. NES, SNES,, SMS, Megadirve GB, GBC, GBA, Turbografx, neo geo and some PC games as well as vectrex. Here's a link to the review of it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgHCkD74Qkc

That looks ideal!  Thank you :-)
richhard1 View Drop Down
Insert Coin
Insert Coin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richhard1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 hours 36 minutes ago at 10:24pm
Anyone know how to setup the PB controllers to work with the pi3? Doesn’t seem to know the joystick/s or both control player sets correctly.
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ninjabadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8 hours 53 minutes ago at 12:07pm
Originally posted by richhard1 richhard1 wrote:

Anyone know how to setup the PB controllers to work with the pi3? Doesn’t seem to know the joystick/s or both control player sets correctly.

It has to be (stupidly) turned on.

You'll need to unplug the internal speaker also as technically you will be operating both units at the same time.  

Can't get my head around why it's setup this way.

Edited by ninjabadger - 8 hours 50 minutes ago at 12:10pm
RedboX View Drop Down
Patreon
Patreon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedboX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 43 minutes ago at 7:57pm
Originally posted by ninjabadger ninjabadger wrote:

A little disappointed with the emulation performance of my Pandora's box 5 (Genuine 960 in 1).
I've seen people recommend I use a Pi3 instead.

To be honest, the PB5 is a very odd device, it has a much more powerfull CPU but it seems they have just slapped on the same crappy emulator/menu as the PB4, I'm not even sure it's been all that well optimized to make use of the extra cores.

Originally posted by ninjabadger ninjabadger wrote:

Can't get my head around why it's setup this way.

Whats is going on is the PB board is reading the raw (on/off) state of the buttons on it's GPIO ports, and as well as using them for it's own purpose (drive the menu/game) its then taking those inputs and feeding them into a USB device emulator, so to a USB host (your PI) it appears to be a joypad or similar.

If you really want the PB out of the loop, you could disconnect the inputs from the PB board, and then connect them directly to your RP, you will need to workout how to connect the yourself, and then implement some sort of GPIO driver like we do with the custom images.

I used : gamecon_gpio_rpi driver, tho you might be better off using mk_arcade_joystick_rpi as it's specificaly designed for the RPI

https://github.com/recalbox/mk_arcade_joystick_rpi.

Edited by RedboX - 41 minutes ago at 7:59pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic