Forum Home Forum Home > General Arcade Chat > Arcade - General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bournemouth arcade cafe

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RetroArcader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bournemouth arcade cafe
    Posted: 04 February 2018 at 9:08pm
Hi All

I Just found out about an arcade cafe opening in my hometown of Bournemouth.

Location is tbc at the mo but I've been told it will be central to the town centre.

https://www.zapsco.com

Looks like they have managed to curate some absolute classics! If you live nearby or fancy a trip when it opens?
k1ngarth3r View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k1ngarth3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2018 at 9:16pm
Oh fantastic, sounds great! 
Tedward View Drop Down
Bonus Stage
Bonus Stage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tedward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2018 at 9:33pm
Ah, great stuff. Bournemouth has been lacking in good arcades for ages, the pier has some alright modern stuff but once Sega World downsized it hasn't been the same. Looks like some real classics they have too, and a decent amount for these cafe's and bars that have games.
REVENGE OF DR ROBOTONIC
Flinnster View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2018 at 1:28am
Count me in for a trip down to the coast. Wish it was in the BIC or the end of the old pier though!
Wanted:
- PCBs: Rainbow Islands, Rolling Thunder
- Parts: Naomi non-swivel castor wheel, coin mech metal clip for Dino King Door
- House Extension
digweed View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2018 at 5:54am
Yay I hopefully will be a regular there now. Very happy Big smile
Wanted: Lordsvale or Neo Geo themed cab
dlightbulb View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dlightbulb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2018 at 8:01am
Yep! I spoke to one of the owners on here cos he was going to buy my cab, but it since had a few problems so I had to pull it.

Really nice bloke and they have loads of great machines and know what they are doing. I'm definitely gonna be heading down there
big10p View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2018 at 10:53am
Cool! Bournemouth is my old arcade stomping ground from BITD. Sound like they're proper enthusiasts, so hopefully no LCD monitor replacements. Tongue
Monkeykong1 View Drop Down
High Score
High Score

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monkeykong1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2018 at 11:27am
Cool, hopefully you can hear the original sounds and not really loud techno like other arcade bars. 
r-type View Drop Down
High Score
High Score
Gorf Brigade

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote r-type Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2018 at 11:24am
That looks promising. Bournemouth used to be a second home for my friends and I.
Blast off and strike the evil Bydo empire!
Steveylou View Drop Down
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steveylou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2018 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by Tedward Tedward wrote:

Ah, great stuff. Bournemouth has been lacking in good arcades for ages, the pier has some alright modern stuff but once Sega World downsized it hasn't been the same. Looks like some real classics they have too, and a decent amount for these cafe's and bars that have games.
The last time I was down in Bournemouth (which granted was a few years ago) I went on a pilgrimage to find Sega World. It had closed down Cry

Has it re-opened again now, albeit smaller?
Tedward View Drop Down
Bonus Stage
Bonus Stage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tedward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2018 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by Steveylou Steveylou wrote:

Originally posted by Tedward Tedward wrote:

The last time I was down in Bournemouth (which granted was a few years ago) I went on a pilgrimage to find Sega World. It had closed down Cry

Has it re-opened again now, albeit smaller?
Basically what happened is Leisure Exchange, the operators that owned what was Sega World Bournemouth, went into liquidation. They sold it to an ex-Bowlplex managing director and it was refurbished shortly afterwards, which is when you probably went. 

It's called Funcentral now, and although it is a lot cleaner and better looking than what it was before, it's about a quarter of the size of what Sega World used to be- a shadow of it's former self. To be fair they have a few nice DX OutRun 2 SP's (the yellow ones) and a few shooters too but it's pretty sad looking at it today and thinking of what it was.

Btw they have also adopted that card system some arcades are trying out now, it's pretty neat but just not the same as dropping a few 10p's into a machine Unhappy
REVENGE OF DR ROBOTONIC
g00n3r View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote g00n3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2018 at 9:47am
This place could have some potential, I doubt the original hardware will be happy running 12 hours a day, but we shall see.

Just reading their blog and I get the impression the technical knowledge to keep these old games running is possibly lacking, but maybe that's just how it reads to me.

Good luck to them, it's been many many years since Bournemouth last had a decent arcade and I don't mean Sega World, I mean a decent classic arcade.
Munkeycop View Drop Down
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munkeycop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2018 at 2:26pm

Hi everyone. Looks like you stumbled on our 'little secret' before we managed to tell you about it.

Myself and ‘Zaps’ have been working on a opening a new Retro Arcade Bar/Cafe in central Bournemouth called ‘Zaps’.

We’ve already managed to source a number of cabs and we’re looking at having approximately 25 running on site with a few spare so we can swap them in and out every few weeks (or as they inevitably break down, whichever happens first).

We’ll run the machines on tokens which can be purchased over the bar.  We’ll also be serving coffee/hot drinks during the day along with some lovely craft beers through the afternoon and evening. Of course there will also be those all important snacks to help keeps those gaming energy levels up.

It’s all a bit of a big jump for us. We’ve actually left our jobs in order to do this but we feel it’s something that is lacking down here on the south coast so we’re happy to step up to the mark. We’re looking forward to building a nice hub for the retro gaming community down here in the south and for anybody else who wants to try out some old school arcade machines. So far it’s been great meeting some of the local cab collectors who have helped us with building our collection. We're essentially lurkers here on Jamma+ but we've found all kinds of useful information and tips from here that has helped us along the way (thanks everyone).

We have a website up and running, you can check out our list of games on there along with a few blog posts detailing our misadventures with fixing some of these cabs up.

You can find it at - www.zapsco.com

We’re also on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram, you can find us at...

https://twitter.com/ZapsCo

https://www.instagram.com/zapsco/

https://www.facebook.com/zapsco/

Before you ask, we don’t have an opening date at this stage. We’re still waiting on our licensing and planning to go through and then we have all kinds of other details to sort out but once we know, you’ll know.

Hope to see you there.

Cheers.

big10p View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2018 at 2:54pm
Wishing you all the best with this venture, Munkeycop. Looks like you have some great games in your lineup. Pics of your actual cabs would be good to see on your website, though. Wink

Bournemouth is my old arcade stomping ground from BITD, and I don't live that far away, so I'd love to visit once you open - although I'm sans car, at the moment.
zapsco View Drop Down
Insert Coin
Insert Coin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zapsco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2018 at 3:18pm
Thanks big10p, and don't worry – more pics of our actual cabs will be coming soon, just a little tricky at the moment. Many are being worked on elsewhere or are in transit, and yet more are crammed into my dining room! It'll be much easier when the venue is ready to set them up!
damagestar View Drop Down
Patreon
Patreon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damagestar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2018 at 3:51pm
Now we all want to see pictures of the cabs crammed in your dining room LOL

I quite like the idea of buying tokens. When cabs are on freeplay I tend to lose interest in the game as soon as I make a mistake and just move on to the next game, but if I've paid for the credit I tend to concentrate more and want to get my moneys worth and it all feels more like it did bitd. Good luck hope it all goes well. 
Tedward View Drop Down
Bonus Stage
Bonus Stage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tedward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2018 at 4:00pm
I'm sure it will do well- the South really is lacking in retro arcades, and if you promote it enough I'm sure families will come.
REVENGE OF DR ROBOTONIC
Munkeycop View Drop Down
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munkeycop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2018 at 4:02pm
We’re looking forward to getting some cab pics online. They’ll look much better once we get them in place. Here’s a little preview from my workshop in the meantime.
https://instagram.com/p/Ba2CPf9hVLB/

@damagestar - Very much agree with you on the tokens front. Dialling in half a dozen credits on free play can turn things into more of a grind. When credits are limited by cost each game becomes more valuable to the player. Essentially we want to make it as close to the original experience as we can. That feeling of putting in a single coin and having a game. Unfortunately we can’t afford to make it a single 10p per game so this is the next best thing.
Munkeycop View Drop Down
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munkeycop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2018 at 4:43pm
Hmmm that link doesn't directly work. If you copy and paste it into your browser it should be fine though. 
strykr View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen
Dragooooooo!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strykr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2018 at 9:23pm
Cool, love Bournemouth me and the Mrs go every year, will be sure to pop in.
Wanted - Electrocoin Wheels Runner Cabinet http://tinyurl.com/oq6dkau
Badlands & Champ sprint TG mame WR holder
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic