Forum Home Forum Home > General Arcade Chat > M.A.M.E
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ZVG - Zektor Vector Generator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2huwman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2018 at 12:03pm
Well, I must have somehow insulted the Vector God, because now my ZVG appears to be malfunctioning!

I've tried 2 new PSUs, both of which are outputting slightly above 18v, with the correct polarity and enough amps. The correct LEDs come on for when it's connected but not outputting vectors, and then the correct LED comes on when it should be outputting vectors. Except there's nothing on the Vectrex screen now!

The Vectrex itself works fine, as I've hooked it back up to it's own CPU board and vector output, so there's nothing wrong there. And I've switched the ZVG back to a different mobo and config that worked to produce vectors (but no sound), and still nothing. 

The only thing I can think of is that when the original PSU blew, it damaged the ZVG Cry

Not sure there's much I can do now - I might see if Zektor can repair it...
Message me if you need a JAMMA Cab-ready 15Khz MAME PC!
Monstermug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monstermug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2018 at 12:32pm
I feel for you man.  In the first picture you posted, you had the zvg on that silver antistatic bag.  I'm pretty sure those bags are slightly conductive as it works by forming a Faraday's cage around the components.  Maybe it's shorted something, taking out the PSU?   
2huwman View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2huwman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2018 at 12:40pm
I hadn't realised that - but it was just sitting on bubble wrap when the PSU broke, so hopefully I didn't bring this on myself. Unless bubble wrap is conductive!
2huwman View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2huwman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2018 at 8:04pm
Well, this has been a rollercoaster - Zonn from ZVG just emailed me back and said that the ZVG will behave exactly like i described if you use an 18v DC adapter, rather than the 18v AC adapter that it needs! So apart from feeling like a dummy, there's no harm done!
EQUITES View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EQUITES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2018 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by 2huwman 2huwman wrote:

Well, this has been a rollercoaster - Zonn from ZVG just emailed me back and said that the ZVG will behave exactly like i described if you use an 18v DC adapter, rather than the 18v AC adapter that it needs! So apart from feeling like a dummy, there's no harm done!

Look for a US Robotics power adaptor with 18v AC
Atari PCB's (and most non-Atari), AR2's, Vector Deflection/HV boards repaired & refurbished.
Wanted: Non-working Atari PCBs.
Monstermug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monstermug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2018 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by 2huwman 2huwman wrote:

What a relief! can't wait till the next episode! wish i coukd just drop everything and dig out my zvg. at the rate im going it wont be for a few months at least
2huwman View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2huwman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2018 at 11:28pm
Thanks guys, I found a PSU on eBay, and Zonn gave it his blessing, so should be fine.

He said he'd like to do another run of ZVGs but would need to do a redesign of the PCB as some of the parts aren't available anymore. But he doesn't have the time at the moment sadly.

Edited by 2huwman - 14 February 2018 at 8:59am
2huwman View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2huwman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2018 at 9:52pm
Got the new power supply - plugged it in - and my ZVG works again! Been playing some Tempest and Lunar Lander on my Vectrex, with sound! LOL

I'll update the first post this week with a list of the hardware that works and the various config files!
Chad View Drop Down
Bonus Stage
Bonus Stage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2018 at 9:50am
Excellent news!

I'll dig out my sbpci.ini file for you, it might just need tweaking at your end in order to get the ct4810 working, then we can add that to the compatibility list.

Also the vmmenu I sent you is an unreleased version with some additional functionality for setting config within the program. You may see a setup/menu key definition in the config file.

Chad
2huwman View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2huwman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 5:28pm
Thanks Chad, it's great to have it working properly now! I've moved the cf card and SB over to my initial mobo and CPU, and it doesn't work on that, so it is very picky about the hardware (as others have said!).

The current CPU I have is a little short on power - it's a 3.2ghz Pentium D. The mobo can support some (but not all) LGA775 C2Ds, so I've ordered an C2D E4600. Only a couple of quid.

With my current working setup, there is some slowdown when a lot of vectors need drawing (often on intro screens, high score tables, or when the death star blows up for example!). Reducing the sound sample rate in MAME helps to some extent. Obvously using the -zvg 2 option helps as well.
Chad View Drop Down
Bonus Stage
Bonus Stage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 6:26pm
Even the real hardware slows down when there's a lot of vector activity so you may already be at max. I remember running star wars on mame years ago full speed on a pentium 233, so gigs of cpu may be overkill.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic