Forum Home Forum Home > General Arcade Chat > Arcade - General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First visit to a proper arcade in 17 years!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rotunda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First visit to a proper arcade in 17 years!
    Posted: 17 December 2017 at 12:34pm
Sorry if this should be in the "arcade reports" section I wasn't too sure where to post it but I just wanted to share this with you all.

It's been awhile since I've been on this forum but yesterday I visited an arcade which is roughly 70 miles away from me. It's one of only 3 big arcades (that i know of) in the UK and I've been meaning to go visit for about a year now.

With the holiday season coming and spare time on my hands I thought why not... let's do it!

Upon arrival... the sounds of glorious retro games hit my ears and instantly i was taken back to my childhood.

rrr

rthe

rther

erhehtrh

erhteh

erhehrt

They had everything here... Multi cabs, original 80's cabs, racers, SEGA uprights, Neo Geo cabs, cocktail cabs and loads more... so much to look at but of course, me being me (for those who remember me) i came here for one game in particular.

ertherwth

erhgewheh

A real, deluxe twin cab Rave Racer (Ridge Racer 3.) I spent about 5 hours on this machine. But, I took something else away with me after this visit which i didn't expect. I'm finding a deep love and respect for the older cabinets. I played Chase HQ, Donkey Kong, Pengo, Robotron and many more all for the first time. Some of these were multi cabs so not the real deal but they were the closest thing I have experienced when it comes to a proper 80's cab.

The beautiful scanlines on some of these RGB monitors is just stunning to me. The crisp clear image of a CRT is far nicer than any LED/LCD panel in my opinion. 

I really took away a love and respect for these 80's cabinets and quite honestly I'm thinking about buying myself a JAMMA cabinet now as some of these games are just fantastic.

Lastly... I had to mention the marquee's... Some of them were just beautiful to see. Especially in a row of machines all glowing away with their amazing art work. It's was just such a nice sight to see.

ewrgwg

All in all, this place is a really great day out and if you haven't already been (I'm sure many of you have) I'd recommend getting down there...

Timewarp Arcade 
Watsons Ln 
Bridgwater 
TA6 5BE 

Edited by rotunda - 17 December 2017 at 12:38pm
Brettster View Drop Down
Patreon
Patreon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brettster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2017 at 12:46pm
You really need to get up to Arcade Club, Now that is an arcade and a half!!
no emulations or multicades and no LCD's except for the cabs that should have them :)

Looking for a Daytona, Sega Rally cab
rotunda View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rotunda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2017 at 12:52pm
I've been hearing great things about Arcade Club and I do have plans to get up there for sure! Sadly though I don't drive (only a small motorbike) so I'm limited by distance. 

One day though, one day I will go! I've definitely got the bug now. I love everything about these cabinets.

Highly unlikely but do you know if he has a Cosmic Avenger? (Universal cab) 
Tedward View Drop Down
Bonus Stage
Bonus Stage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tedward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2017 at 9:34pm
I don't think they do, no. But then again they have so many games I'm sure I missed it. If there's any other games you want to clarify are there just look at their website, pretty sure all their games are listed on there. I think they have Ridge Racer 1 and possibly 2 as well, but not Rave as far as I'm aware.

If they managed to get enough space for a Ridge Racer Full Scale though, now that would be amazing... surely the one at Blackpool Pleasure Beach (if its still there) would be safer at Arcade Club. Needs to be preserved, not sure there's any others left, I do believe you know more about them than anyone else though.
REVENGE OF DR ROBOTONIC
bones View Drop Down
High Score Ref
High Score Ref

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2017 at 9:41pm
Nice one for putting these pictures up. Thumbs Up
daveyheats View Drop Down
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daveyheats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2017 at 7:30am
Loved reading about this! Not a million miles away from me so may pop down sometime. And they have a twin Sega Touring Cars! I've smashed the pants off that on the saturn even with its stroke inducing handling. Have always wanted to try the arcade cab.

Hoping to visit Weston at some point too, but I hear the new pier hasn't got a great selection so this sounds like a much more interesting trip.
daveyheats View Drop Down
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daveyheats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2017 at 7:33am
p.s - was that Naomi universal out of order? Looks like it had a sign stuck on it? :(
rotunda View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rotunda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2017 at 10:10am
rotunda View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rotunda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2017 at 10:23am
Quote If they managed to get enough space for a Ridge Racer Full Scale though, now that would be amazing... surely the one at Blackpool Pleasure Beach (if its still there) would be safer at Arcade Club. Needs to be preserved, not sure there's any others left, I do believe you know more about them than anyone else though.

That machine is indeed still there and to my knowledge (5 years of looking for one) it's the last one in the UK and one of 2 left in europe (the other is in an arcade in Barcelona.) 

With regards to the Blackpool machine the last i heard the wind screen was smashed. It gets vandalised a lot. When i went to see the machine nearly 2 years ago now the gear shifter was completely shot. the stereo had been removed so you could only play 1 track, the car was dented all over, the rev counter didn't work and the heaters didn't work, the steering was knackered and would pull to the left randomly at times. Worsed of all though in my opinion they swapped out the CRT projectors for digital ones which could take LED bulbs... good cost saving exercise sure.. but you now get slight input lag from the controls which was really quite annoying.

I completely agree that such a machine deserves to be at Arcade Club. I am actually aware of one in storage (unsure how complete it is though) I might get in touch with them and see if they can work out a deal to possibly save it. I was looking to purchase it myself but I have no room and frankly like you say... it needs to be in a place where it will be preserved and taken care of and used for future generations.

All that being said though... they do put in a lot of effort to keep it going and overall it's a pretty clean machine.

d

Quote p.s - was that Naomi universal out of order? Looks like it had a sign stuck on it? :(

Unfortunately yes :( I spoke with the owner (he's a TOP bloke, such a nice chap) and he said the machines are always breaking down which is a shame. There was a dedicated Defender cab there which I was dying to try out but sadly the board had gone wrong (again.)

He puts a lot of love into the place and it's such great fun so if you can get down there, go for it.

rotunda View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rotunda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2017 at 10:28am
For those interested about this machine, i did make a video when i went and you can hear the technician speak about it briefly which is interesting to hear.

*** Not work safe *** I have the mouth of a salor at times so ... yeah... (sorry)

https://youtu.be/aSjN_xrFN60&rel=0" />https://youtu.be/aSjN_xrFN60&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="never" allowNetworking="internal" wmode="transparent" width="560" height="350">

(if a mod can make that a video rather than a link i would appreciate it, i can't work out how your video embed system works.)

Edited by rotunda - 18 December 2017 at 10:31am
Monkeykong1 View Drop Down
High Score
High Score

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monkeykong1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2017 at 1:31pm
what happened to the full scale ridge racer in the trocadero? 
big10p View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2017 at 3:44pm
Is the Star Wars cockpit working at Timewarp, yet?
Tedward View Drop Down
Bonus Stage
Bonus Stage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tedward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2017 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by rotunda rotunda wrote:

Quote If they managed to get enough space for a Ridge Racer Full Scale though, now that would be amazing... surely the one at Blackpool Pleasure Beach (if its still there) would be safer at Arcade Club. Needs to be preserved, not sure there's any others left, I do believe you know more about them than anyone else though.

That machine is indeed still there and to my knowledge (5 years of looking for one) it's the last one in the UK and one of 2 left in europe (the other is in an arcade in Barcelona.) 

With regards to the Blackpool machine the last i heard the wind screen was smashed. It gets vandalised a lot. When i went to see the machine nearly 2 years ago now the gear shifter was completely shot. the stereo had been removed so you could only play 1 track, the car was dented all over, the rev counter didn't work and the heaters didn't work, the steering was knackered and would pull to the left randomly at times. Worsed of all though in my opinion they swapped out the CRT projectors for digital ones which could take LED bulbs... good cost saving exercise sure.. but you now get slight input lag from the controls which was really quite annoying.

I completely agree that such a machine deserves to be at Arcade Club. I am actually aware of one in storage (unsure how complete it is though) I might get in touch with them and see if they can work out a deal to possibly save it. I was looking to purchase it myself but I have no room and frankly like you say... it needs to be in a place where it will be preserved and taken care of and used for future generations.

All that being said though... they do put in a lot of effort to keep it going and overall it's a pretty clean machine.

d

Quote p.s - was that Naomi universal out of order? Looks like it had a sign stuck on it? :(

Unfortunately yes :( I spoke with the owner (he's a TOP bloke, such a nice chap) and he said the machines are always breaking down which is a shame. There was a dedicated Defender cab there which I was dying to try out but sadly the board had gone wrong (again.)

He puts a lot of love into the place and it's such great fun so if you can get down there, go for it.

Awesome, awesome machine. Where was the one in Barcelona and is it confirmed its still there/in good condition? And the one that was put into storage, was that the one at Leysdown On Sea? Would be ideal to contact the arcade that had it, yes. Maybe they have spares for the parts that don't work on the one in Blackpool.
REVENGE OF DR ROBOTONIC
rotunda View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rotunda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2017 at 6:42pm
Quote what happened to the full scale ridge racer in the trocadero?

Would you believe they had it in SEGA world for I think it was 2 years, if that... then the entire thing was scrapped. Angry

As for the others in the UK, this is what i know...

Weston Super Mare had one and it was scrapped, rumour has it that someone purchased the MX5 shell, put an engine in it and used it as a track day car for years.

Margate dreamland had a machine but that went up in flames with the place itself.

I did have a list once of most of the old UK locations but sadly I've lost it since but basically they were all scrapped.

Quote Is the Star Wars cockpit working at Timewarp, yet?

Sadly not. I actually asked about it and apparently It's been in a repair guys hands for a number of months now. It's a shame as I was really looking forward to seeing that. 

Quote Where was the one in Barcelona and is it confirmed its still there/in good condition?

Sadly this was years ago now so god only knows if it's still there. It was at Barcelona's New Park Arcade I have no clue if it's still there. Last time i heard about it would of been 2013 or so. I did see a picture of it and it looked original, more so than the one at Blackpool (still had the stereo system) the projectors were very nasty though from what i remember. Very yellowed and worn out.

As for the one in storage... I've kept my cards close to my chest as I wanted to find the right person to go and get it if it is still around. I actually asked them about it this summer and left messages with their head office but heard nothing back so... As I literally could never save it due to space here and it's in the interest of the community to find this machine and preserve it (even if it's just parts) here are the details of what i know so far...

It was a machine which was originally located at the Rotunda in folkestone but it was soon moved to Jimmy G's in Leysdown on Sea. It was there for years (even the lady i spoke to when i called said "ahh yes i remember that big old thing") The place has since been renamed "Mr G's" after Jim passed away.

It was stripped down to make way for newer machines not sure when exactly but I know for a fact it is still in storage, somewhere.

Details: 

Address: The Promenade, Leysdown-on-Sea, Sheerness ME12 4QB 
Phone: 01795 510871

If this turns into some sort of raid I would love it if someone could let me know so I could come along and help recover the machine. I have zero interest in the parts or the machine to keep for myself BUT it would mean the world to me to see it being recovered especially as it's the one from my childhood arcade (hence my name, Rotunda.) I have invested a stupid amount of time researching these machines and to see one rise from the dead would make me so happy.

Edited by rotunda - 18 December 2017 at 7:00pm
RichyS View Drop Down
High Score
High Score

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2017 at 1:35pm
I love Timewarp. I'm in Cardiff so I go with the kids a few times a year (free parking and no traffic on a Sunday). Fantastic place - machines change pretty often due to age and breaking. Arcade Club is great, but it is a long drive and a hotel for me. Everyone from down South should go.
Tedward View Drop Down
Bonus Stage
Bonus Stage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tedward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2017 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by rotunda rotunda wrote:

Quote what happened to the full scale ridge racer in the trocadero?

Would you believe they had it in SEGA world for I think it was 2 years, if that... then the entire thing was scrapped. Angry

Would it be the one seen in this video... no sound but still. Considering t he machine came out in 1994, and this footage is from 1994, 2 years before Sega World opened and before the overall refresh of the trocadero's decor, its more probable that it arrived in 1994 for the Funland arcade and it was damaged or simply scrapped during/because of the renovations which happened in 1996. 

Not saying it wasn't at Sega World but I put months into looking for photos and videos for my article I made of it and I didn't see it once. Also, in the videos I've seen, there is a massive hollowed out space made out of where the Full Scale was located... hmmm

Idk if you knew about this one but there was also a Full Scale located in Cape Town, Africa, there's an arcade report from 2008 on here with it pictured, noticeably without a base... 

I wouldn't think its still there and the name of the arcade with it wasn't given but still, nice to see one lasting that long as well.
REVENGE OF DR ROBOTONIC
rotunda View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rotunda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2017 at 6:15pm
You are correct that is my mistake I thought the Trocadero was ~SEGA world. I'd never been there nor am i familiar with London so I would say you are 100% correct. I do know it was scrapped though when SEGA world went under and Funland downsized. 

Never seen that one from Africa, amazing to see! I really do wonder just how many are out there...
wizbiscuit View Drop Down
Bonus Stage
Bonus Stage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wizbiscuit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2017 at 7:59am
Just to bound in, where are the 3 best arcades in UK now?? being down in North Devon I seem to be to far away from anything, but might be worth a special trip :)

Looks like Bridgend and one in Manchester???
Check out my YouTube channel "Back in Time Sime" - https://www.youtube.com/c/BackinTimeSime
maskeddev View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maskeddev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2017 at 12:14pm
Bury is worth the trip
https://twitter.com/ArcadeFacts
WANTED: 25" Electrocoin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic