Forum Home Forum Home > General Arcade Chat > Arcade - General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Things you did in the past you shouldnt...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wizbiscuit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Things you did in the past you shouldnt...
    Posted: 13 December 2017 at 6:01pm
No, no sex stuff, I mean arcade related things you did, but you wished you didnt...

I am sorry to say I had a arcade machine that I smashed up and took the dump, the screen stopped working and I just got feed up with it, so I took a hammer to it... I was only a ugly JAMMA one, not dedicated or anything...

Wouldnt do that now, but then, well it was a different time... (10 years agoish for complete clarity)

Sorry...

Sime
Check out my YouTube channel "Back in Time Sime" - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjX19copJKwkPuvebRWBoxw
Breaking Dad View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen
USA USA!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breaking Dad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2017 at 6:43pm
I wish I never got my 1st pinball machine...I'm now looking for my 5th...!!!... ..........Joey
I have no more money for pinball machines...!!!....Joey
damagestar View Drop Down
Patreon
Patreon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damagestar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2017 at 7:41pm
I remember a monitor in my old Jamma cab going pop and I was so peed off at the time I just took it out and gave it away to a fellow collector. I then installed an lcd in its place ConfusedEmbarrassed It was completely burn free with a beautiful picture as well. What was I thinking? Why the hell didn't I just get it fixed!? Oh well we live and learn.
BBZ149 View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBZ149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2017 at 8:10pm
Got married Evil Smile lol

robin_l View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robin_l Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2017 at 9:18pm
As a teenager I peeled the hub cap sticker off an Out-Run.  Please don't tell the police.
skykappah View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skykappah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2017 at 11:32pm
That I overlooked small cabs in the beginning...
All YOUR CANDIES ARE BELONG TO ME'S.
big10p View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2017 at 11:46pm
Before I got into cabs, I had a broadcast quality Hantarex monitor. Only 2nd hand but bought direct from Hantarex and cost me about £250 I think. Was in a steel housing and weighed a ton. After a couple of years, the on/off rocker switch needed replacing, but I ended up just taking it down the tip! Had a lovely burn-free tube, too. Cry
wizbiscuit View Drop Down
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wizbiscuit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2017 at 8:06am
Haa, glad it wasnt just me doing the daft stuff, the things sold cheap... pff
Check out my YouTube channel "Back in Time Sime" - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjX19copJKwkPuvebRWBoxw
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wizbiscuit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2017 at 8:09am
Pinball mind, I now have zero machines, moved on my last about 6 months ago... just dont have the room and the issue with STTNG just got me down... Should have stuck with that brand new from box Metallica, boy I loved that... but needed the bathroom done, so she had to go... If I get room or the urge again in the future, it would have to be a new Stern though, if nothing else so the thing is ready to play and working at all times... :)
maskeddev View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maskeddev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2017 at 10:24am
Sold an adapter that I still needed
lhantz View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhantz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2017 at 10:45am
Getting rid of a Salamander PCB because it had GFX issues... I needed the space, good thing is it only cost me £25, yeah it was back in the 90's
Wanted - Nice Electrocoin Goliath
channel27 View Drop Down
High Score
High Score

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote channel27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2017 at 10:53am
Sold 2 (intermittently faulty) Virtua Fighter PCB sets many years ago for next to nothing.
Someone sell me a Virtua fighter 1 set, pleeeeeeeeeease? Big smileCool
Wanted
New Net City
Tekken: 3, 5DR, 5.1, 6, 6BR, TTT2
Virtua Fighter: 1, 2.1, 3TB, 4, 5
Any working / faulty Sega Model 1/2/3 boards
69er View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2017 at 11:46am
all those huge bonfires were very entertaining for the kids back in the 90s BUT................ if only I had joined jammaplus sooner          ....    could have saved lots (I mean well over 200 ) dedicated and generic attractive video cabs from a sad fate....... 

just for example I have 5 and a half sets of pole position boards on ebay finish today must have been in cabs at some time ... got rid of about 6-8 asteroids pcbs a while back 

we once had a midway galaxian as a sandpit for our children just took the front out...and lay on its back ..later swapped it for a pooltable body (better for sitting round the edge).  got heavily criticised by people on here when they heard but space costs money when storing things nobody wants at the time ................  

however I must be well up in the running to win 'parts hoarder of the century' just ask anyone who knows me........  

Edited by 69er - 14 December 2017 at 11:49am
all that glitters is not gold but may just be junk
but my junk is like gold to me and there is loads
of good old stuff in among it xx 69er xx
*FACT* IF YOU CHUCK IT AWAY YOU'LL NEED IT THE NEXT DAY!
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wizbiscuit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2017 at 12:39pm
wow, that really is a lot worse than my story :) I feel way better about destroying just the one machine now... thanks for saving my sanity...
gaz300372 View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gaz300372 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2017 at 2:26pm
Sold a really good Outrun Mini that I should've put into storage before I got married.... Regretted it ever since the divorce... LOL
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wizbiscuit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2017 at 2:56pm
Ha, to quote 10CC, the things we do for love... such as sell a really cool Outrun (dont think they had that last bit) ;)
NeoGeoJames View Drop Down
Bonus Stage
Bonus Stage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeoGeoJames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2017 at 3:10pm
Burned A house of the dead, point blank 3 podium, winfall, ridge racer sitdown and an electrocoin mvs just due to not having the space and being too dumb to rent somewhere (I was loaded at the time)
char1ie View Drop Down
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote char1ie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2017 at 3:50pm
I threw a Battlezone cabaret away once and left an I Robot in someone's shed. And a Paperboy in someone's garage - and never bothered going back for them.

Charlie
69er View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2017 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by NeoGeoJames NeoGeoJames wrote:

Burned A house of the dead, point blank 3 podium, winfall, ridge racer sitdown and an electrocoin mvs just due to not having the space and being too dumb to rent somewhere (I was loaded at the time)

OH NO !!!!   another one of my babies MURDERED !     (winfall didn't make cabinets .... I made AMAZON cabinets but because tony smith our neighbour of winfall leisure was buying so many to build up his national slot round selling scam that eventually they were assembled with winfall video marquees but the AMAZON palm tree logo still remained on even on about 600 + winfall marquee 'd jamma cabs) not to worry heard of many meeting their death but ........

they have stamina all around 20-30 years old now       .....  they show up on ebay almost every week as winfall customers sold them on privately as their sited machines lost popularity with the advent of freeplay Gameboys / nintendos / and other hand held games
especially when small café owners and barber shops and video libraries had the issue of the 10p changing size in 1993 many of the machine round buyers who fell for TONY SMITHS scam £7000 for 3 sited machines ...  or bargain lots of £15,000 for 6 or 7 installed in 'TOP ' sites in your own town anywhere ..... have your own part time business ..................  he was buying machines new off us for £770 each with a good game in....    SO MAKING NEARLY 5K just for sticking them in a shop or café and reselling them often with the coin boxes laced with extra coins to make poor unsuspecting would be operators think they would be millionaires .............. 

sign here mate thanks for 7 grand no back up service no info and often re-poached the better sites with newer games ........which  bound to take better money ............   happily he no longer trades but he was on TV as a young entrepreneur interviewed by late Anthony H Wilson of GRANADA REPORTS NEWS with his beaver venders outside shops and businesses in north wales when he was just a teenager

Edited by 69er - 14 December 2017 at 5:01pm
all that glitters is not gold but may just be junk
but my junk is like gold to me and there is loads
of good old stuff in among it xx 69er xx
*FACT* IF YOU CHUCK IT AWAY YOU'LL NEED IT THE NEXT DAY!
Flinnster View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2017 at 4:55pm
It was late in 1993.. right on the heels of the Amiga and early 32 bit machines. My ZX Spectrums had been consigned to history a couple of years before.

I was looking at Superguns, probably after chatting to friends about them, and reading an article in the new fangled 'EDGE' magazine that came in a black bin liner as it was -that- special.
I sent off for tons of mail order lists from all the arcade distributors, and poured over poor quality FAX style A4 pages of game names and prices. Pages of 'Street Fighter II' for £65.00.
What to get, which supergun to get?

In 1994 I got wind of the Sony PlayStation, so got one of those instead... and wandered off into the new fangled era of 3D gaming, and skipped the whole supergun thing.
It was probably the sane thing to do, I got a job doing 3D graphics and no way at the time did I have the secure space as a student to deal with all those Jamma boards. But oddly my early PlayStation games were things like R-Types, Metal Slug, Puzzle Bobble and Viewpoint.
The arcade itch never really went away.. it was just there bubbling under....

Late in 1996 I was offered an Outrun Deluxe for £600. The steering wheel was a tad wobbly and the rear lights were not working. I looked into getting a loan for it, then I started to measure up, and realised I'd never have the room. So I passed on that. It was the first of many Outrun cabs I've had to pass on. I won another upright on ebay in the years before reserve pricing. The seller wouldn't sell for £75... there was nowt I could do.
The bloody game is my nemesis I think....

Edited by Flinnster - 14 December 2017 at 4:58pm
Wanted:
- PCBs: Rainbow Islands, Rolling Thunder
- Parts: Naomi non-swivel castor wheel, coin mech metal clip for Dino King Door
- House Extension
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic