Forum Home Forum Home > General Arcade Chat > Arcade - General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which moniter? Confused.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Insert Coin
Insert Coin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starksy86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which moniter? Confused.
    Posted: 09 December 2017 at 8:18pm
Hi all

New to the scene and was wondering on which moniter to buy?
It's going in a bartop, horizontal and also audio options? Built in or separate speakers? How hard to install?
Any help appreciated.
Brettster View Drop Down
Patreon
Patreon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brettster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2017 at 8:27pm
If you are going to be playing the classics then Ideally you want a 4:3 ratio screen, and CRT if you can fit one in

not many 4:3 LCD monitors are made now, nearly all aimed at CCTV markets
but there are lots of used ones around
the built in speakers in all of them will be naff so get a nice pair of pc speakers to cover audio
Looking for a Daytona, Sega Rally cab
Starksy86 View Drop Down
Insert Coin
Insert Coin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starksy86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2017 at 11:59pm
Thanks for reply what's the standard aspect ratio of your run of the mill LCD monitor. I can't justify a crt yet as this is my first build. What's the disadvantages of it not being 4:3?
bones View Drop Down
High Score Ref
High Score Ref

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2017 at 12:28am
Save yourself some hassle.
Fuck the bartop off, get a jamma cab.
You can spin the monitor horizontal or vertical as you need & there's enough room inside them to put your pcbs in.
LCD's are a bag of wank.

Welcome aboard Thumbs Up.

chrd View Drop Down
Bonus Stage
Bonus Stage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2017 at 5:17am
Originally posted by Starksy86 Starksy86 wrote:

Thanks for reply what's the standard aspect ratio of your run of the mill LCD monitor. I can't justify a crt yet as this is my first build. What's the disadvantages of it not being 4:3?

Your image will be all stretched (which is horrible) or featuring big black borders (not nice, too). All in all, you'll need to jump through a lot of hoops (resolutions and upscaling algorithms, scanline emulation, LCD panel input latency) in order to get something that looks reasonably authentic.

Why not put in a nice CRT (which are given away for free)?
Starksy86 View Drop Down
Insert Coin
Insert Coin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starksy86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2017 at 10:42am
Will it look that bad then? I can't get a crt in my bartop it will be too damn heavy. I know it's not authentic, there must be an alternative?
Ex_Mosquito View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ex_Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2018 at 3:13pm
A 14” Commodore 1084s would be perfect for a bartop. You could have the native resolutions on arcade games using Groovymame+CRT_Emudrivers and it also has handy geometry adjustments knobs like a proper arcade cab.

An LCD would work I guess but the compromised image quality and potential input lag would make it a no-go for me personally.
My Arcade 1-Credit Replays
http://www.youtube.com/user/exmosquito
Buttonbasher View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buttonbasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2018 at 8:00pm
If you 'must' use a LCD monitor you could use a scan line generator, gives a pretty good compromise
Solder is my friend
skykappah View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skykappah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2018 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by Starksy86 Starksy86 wrote:

Will it look that bad then? I can't get a crt in my bartop it will be too damn heavy. I know it's not authentic, there must be an alternative?

LCD will have to do if you can't fit a CRT into the bartop. No it will not look too bad.... It will only look really bad if you tell yourself that. If you are a dabbler and not an enthusiast then don't let it bother you.

Try scouting around cash convertors and such for flat 4:3 LCD screens.

Edited by skykappah - 05 January 2018 at 9:39pm
All YOUR CANDIES ARE BELONG TO ME'S.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic