Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade Technical and Restoration > Tech, Maintenance & Repairs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Light Gun cab help please!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2huwman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Light Gun cab help please!
    Posted: 22 November 2017 at 2:47pm
Just wondering if anyone can advise on an issue I've got with my Virtua Cop 2 cab. Basically, the guns don't register unless the monitor brightness is higher than it should be (image goes blurry). Even then, they dont register in the corners of the screen. 

I've tried swapping the guns from my HOTD cab (which works perfectly), but they don't work any better. I've also swapped the gun sense PCBs, but no change. I've even swapped over the mirrors, but again, no better with the HOTD mirror in the VC2 cab. 

The voltages are fine as I've read that if it's too high, that can prevent the guns working properly.

So I'm starting to think it's maybe something to do with the monitor (which is the standard Nanao that came with the cab). I can't find any contrast adjuster on it, and the contrast seems a bit low. Also, the longer I leave the monitor on, the better the sensitivity to the guns.

Anyone had issues like this? Any other suggestions? Thanks! 

Edited by 2huwman - 22 November 2017 at 3:38pm
Message me if you need a JAMMA Cab-ready 15Khz MAME PC!
channel27 View Drop Down
Bonus Stage
Bonus Stage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote channel27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2017 at 3:44pm
What's the burn like on the monitor?
My HOTD has a small "dead space" in the bottom right hand corner which doesn't register gunshots because the burned area doesn't get bright enough.

Wanted
New Net City
Tekken: 3, 5DR, 5.1, 6, 6BR, TTT2
Virtua Fighter: 1, 2.1, 3TB, 4, 5
Any working / faulty Sega Model 1/2/3 boards
2huwman View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2huwman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2017 at 3:52pm
Thanks - there's actually not much burn on it at all, and the chassis has been recapped recently. 

Does your HOTD monitor have a contrast pot? Mine does on the remote, but the VC2 monitor is a slightly different model and doesn't seem to have a contrast control.  
channel27 View Drop Down
Bonus Stage
Bonus Stage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote channel27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2017 at 4:03pm
The monitor in my HOTD is a MS8 26SU that was originally in a VC2 (which was badly water damaged)
Which monitor is in yours?

Edited by channel27 - 22 November 2017 at 4:15pm
Wanted
New Net City
channel27 View Drop Down
Bonus Stage
Bonus Stage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote channel27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2017 at 4:16pm
(Got a 500 error whilst posting that and it's not appearing in "Last post"... Lets see if this message posts correctly...)

>>> Edit: Nope :(

Edited by channel27 - 22 November 2017 at 4:16pm
Wanted
New Net City
gunblade View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunblade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2017 at 10:23pm
what chassis is it?
2huwman View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2huwman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2017 at 5:20pm
Hopefully you're able to ID it from these pictures!

It would be the right size for a MS8 26SU, and I think it's the original monitor in there, so probably this?

Edited by 2huwman - 23 November 2017 at 5:23pm
gunblade View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunblade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2017 at 5:44pm
yes it is

there are gain and cut off pots if you look between tube and frame from the front
2huwman View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2huwman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2017 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by gunblade gunblade wrote:

yes it is

there are gain and cut off pots if you look between tube and frame from the front

Thanks - do they do the same thing as contrast?
gunblade View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunblade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2017 at 6:01pm
well gains do, but these chassis can be difficult to tune in
2huwman View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2huwman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2017 at 8:31am
OK thanks, I'll adjust those and see if it makes a difference. 
seanr28 View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanr28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2017 at 8:31am
I have had a similar issue with my TC3, both guns work fine, but only on one screen!  Would be interested to see how you get it sorted.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic