Forum Home Forum Home > General Arcade Chat > Arcade - General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sega World London?!?! Anyone Remember

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Field305 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sega World London?!?! Anyone Remember
    Posted: 06 November 2017 at 8:01pm
New to this forum, but was curious if anyone had any found memories of Sega World in London back in the day. I live in the USA but was in London for the millennium. I stumbled upon the best arcade I have ever seen right in the center of town. Anyone remember this amazing place!
yenComity View Drop Down
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yenComity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2017 at 8:42pm
I also live in the usa, but went to sega world before and after it shutdown. I want to say I was there around 96-98 on a family trip to london. Also lived in london from 2001-2002 and visited a few times.

As a kid I loved the mini amusement rides. I vividly remember the tank bumper cars. You also had a number of motion games/rides including an r360 with afterburner. By 2001 it was no longer owned by sega. Most of the arcade games in it were still sega and older titles. It was no longer setup to pay an entry fee and then everything on free play, but instead was a normal arcade. All the motion rides were gone, all the amusement stuff was gone too. It was ok for an hour or two, but it was nothing like it had been a few years before.
damagestar View Drop Down
Patreon
Patreon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote damagestar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2017 at 8:45pm
Hi there. There's a thread here.. http://www.jammaplus.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=84132&title=the-rise-and-fall-of-the-london-trocadero with a link to a really good read and some cool vids of the Trocedero and Sega World.
Missile5 View Drop Down
Bonus Stage
Bonus Stage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Missile5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2017 at 8:48pm
I remember it well. It was in the Trocadero. I used to enjoy meeting with old friends there because London was a good central point for us to meet. We'd play some games before going to the Mexican on Leicester square for an all-you-can-eat-buffet. Good times :) Sadly around that time Segaworld was starting to become a bit run down. I think it closed a couple of years later.

I remember it most though before it was Sega World. Around 1995 they had an official full-size Ridge Racer machine with a huge screen.

You sat in a fullsize red Mazda RX 5 (?) At that time Ridge Racer was mindblowing so to see it on a big screen and to sit inside an actual car was something else. There were about 25-30 people standing around watching and playing

Edited by Missile5 - 06 November 2017 at 8:53pm
Flinnster View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2017 at 9:20pm
Somewhere I'll still have my original 'Sega World' entry tickets, they were like credit cards.

In a way SEGA were very pioneering back then, the idea of a pay-once entry ticket to a game theme park and then all the machines on freeplay, rather than pay-per-credit like every other arcade and seaside amusements of the time.

Of course, nowdays this is a more common setup for arcades to actually survive in the wild, but back then it very much served as an arcade-education for me. I played so many games back then on freeplay that I'd never have put money into, simply because I could. All the quirky and wierd interesting ones Wink Plenty of stand out games like the full scale RR above, Prop Cycle and the VR rides too of course.

But then the Trocadero still had masses of atmosphere when it reverted to the standard free to enter arcade and all the locals were in on the fighters and shooters, alongside the Asian businessmen on their evenings out playing 8-player Daytona after doing their UK work deals.

It's a sad tale from then on really, such a shame.... but arcades were closing everywhere at that point.
Many many happy memories. I still have a little talking cat from an SNK machine that my mates bought for me after a great weekend out there Smile

Edited by Flinnster - 06 November 2017 at 9:27pm
Wanted:
- PCBs: Rainbow Islands, Rolling Thunder
- Parts: Naomi non-swivel castor wheel, coin mech metal clip for Dino King Door
- House Extension
Tedward View Drop Down
Bonus Stage
Bonus Stage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tedward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2017 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by damagestar damagestar wrote:

Hi there. There's a thread here.. http://www.jammaplus.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=84132&title=the-rise-and-fall-of-the-london-trocadero with a link to a really good read and some cool vids of the Trocedero and Sega World.
Thanks for linking that for me! Definitley better than me shamelessly self promoting it.

Yeah definitely give my article on the Troc and Sega World a read- I've tried to find every bit of information and media there is of it, and while I do keep finding more (I have revised it a little since I first put it out in June), I do believe I have the most complete compilation of it, as well as the true history of the place, since most other sources often have wrong information.

Here's a taste...

Edited by Tedward - 06 November 2017 at 9:49pm
REVENGE OF DR ROBOTONIC
Field305 View Drop Down
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Field305 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2017 at 9:47pm
Thanks for posting guys, man seeing this brings back those memories... it was the first time Ive seen a DDR machine too. Glad I at least got to experience it, it really was the best arcade experience in the world! We are all very lucky to have seen it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic