Forum Home Forum Home > Pinball > General Pinball Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pinball table prices

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote new666uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pinball table prices
    Posted: 26 October 2017 at 1:09pm
Hi all,

Firstly, I don't have any pins of my own, just a couple of cabs and lots of consoles.

I was at Play Manchester recently and having a good (for me) go on a couple of tables. Some were for sale and even new ones were easily £10k. It got me thinking, what's the cost build up of a pinball table?

By profession I'm in procurement so we tend to mentally want to break things down and understand the cost drivers.

This is purely for fun/curiosity, I'm not having a go at the industry/hobby!

Some very crude numbers...

£200     Glass       
£100     Wood/cabinet
£500     Electronics
£250     Misc. parts
£500     Labour
£100     Licencing/branding rights
£1650    TOTAL

Thoughts?
PCB's WANTED (boot or orig): Ghosts n' Goblins, Bezerk, Salander and Solomans Key.
robin_l View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robin_l Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2017 at 3:47pm
£31.63 glass
Breaking Dad View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen
USA USA!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breaking Dad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2017 at 3:56pm
I'm sure the Star Wars license was a tad more than that...!!!... ............Joey
I have no more money for pinball machines...!!!....Joey
JAG555 View Drop Down
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAG555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2017 at 5:50pm
I think you are forgetting a load of other overheads, like premises, electricity, tools, etc.

Plus, £500 for labour? Are you getting these made in China :0)

Like everything, I think the set up costs for a new game would be at astronomical to firstly produce.

Good discussion point though!
macro View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen
Mike>Senior member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2017 at 10:50pm
New ones are around 6k for base model, going up for special / limited editions.

until recently (thinking less than 5 years) new ones were 4k (and second hand were £500!) - but then it all went ballistic.

shame, 'cos I really fancy a Wizard of Oz, but at 7.5k or so, it's not going to happen Dead

Macro
new666uk View Drop Down
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote new666uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2017 at 2:55pm
Like I said this wasn't to have a go at the skill involved in setting up a machine. I simply figured a weeks labour at double the NMW or there abouts purely to get something together. Even if I double everything and add another £500 for miscellaneuos setup and parts it just doesn't feel 'right'

Let's be honest, there is somewhat more machinery and setup costs in producing a new car yet there are several available brand new for similar money.

As a more relevant comparison, a brand new licenced fruit machine is in the £2000 - £4000 range and has many similarities in terms of the components.

If licencing (per machine) works out so much more thats a sad reflection on how marketing monetise everything.

Thanks for those who fed back, it's just for fun.

BTW - Wizard of Oz is great, I was playing that not long after it came out at the EAG show in London.

Paul
PCB's WANTED (boot or orig): Ghosts n' Goblins, Bezerk, Salander and Solomans Key.
neil1637 View Drop Down
High Score
High Score

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neil1637 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2017 at 3:01pm
Surely the R&D costs must be massive though?

Please visit my Arcade Diary Blog at https://neilsarcadediary.wordpress.com/

Always looking for Cabaret Cabinets

new666uk View Drop Down
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote new666uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2017 at 3:36pm
Compared to the intricacies of a motorcar?
neil1637 View Drop Down
High Score
High Score

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neil1637 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2017 at 4:15pm
But then the motor cars sell in far higher numbers?

I know nothing by the way. Just thinking out loud.

Please visit my Arcade Diary Blog at https://neilsarcadediary.wordpress.com/

Always looking for Cabaret Cabinets

maskeddev View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maskeddev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2017 at 11:20am
Also bespoke pieces they won't be making tens of thousands of. John's Arcade visits the Stern factory, see if you can dig out that video. QI seeing them in production etc.
new666uk View Drop Down
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote new666uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2017 at 1:02pm
Thanks, I'll see if I can find it.

For what started as just a random thought seems to have taken on a life of its own now!

I used to work for an amusement machine company a few years ago and we were owned by one of the manufacturers. I didn't get to see the factory but saw the prices of fruit machines, pool tables and the like as they were ordered. Just got me thinking that's all.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic