Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > Console And Retro Gaming
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TurboDuo issues.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TurboDuo issues.
    Posted: 07 October 2017 at 2:15pm
Hello, I thought I'd seek the advice of the pc engine fans and experts on here about some issues I have with a TurboDuo I recently got.

First problem is the corrupted graphics:

I've come across Fagin's video which is somewhat similar although the problem was missing pixels rather an all over gibberish corruption. He fixed it by swapping out the video ram.

The second problem is that the machine won't spin a CD. I'll hit run and the access light comes on and I can hear the laser trying to focus but no spinning, the message on the screen will then return back to 'press run' and 'set disc'. Checking the drive with no CD and holding down the lid sensor I can see the laser activating and the lens also moves up and down a bit. I'm guessing this might require a pot adjustment to get it to focus? or an entirely new drive?

And the third problem, which at this stage isn't worth mentioning, is that the hu card needs to be pulled out a little from the slot otherwise I get a purple or beige boot screen but seems to run when pulled out a little further. Not sure if I came across a fix for this but it's something that can wait.

I know the first port of call is to recap the machine so before I order a kit does anybody recommend I purchase any additional video ram or some other chips? Appreciate any help.

Edited by Gunstar - 07 October 2017 at 3:25pm
pulstar View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pulstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2017 at 2:58pm
Have you opened it up and had a look to see if any of the caps have leaked and caused damage on the motherboard? Might be this rather than failed components.

As for the 'Set Disc' problem, you might fix it by adjusting the pots on the motherboard but you might also need to get a new optical pick up. 
penrhos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penrhos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2017 at 6:19pm
Check power supply voltages and then pop it open and check the caps.

I've just done two that wouldn't read Cd's and had crackly audio that was fixed with a cap kit.

Cabs : 2 * Leisure 2000, 2 * Euro 25, 1 * Velwix, 1 * Super Megalo.
Gunstar View Drop Down
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2017 at 7:02pm
@pulstar - I'll check the caps more thoroughly, I don't think I checked for corroded solder pads. Appreciate the help.

@penrhos - The audio had a loud hum going on, possibly some distortion too so I'm guessing it's likely a cap issue somewhere. Thanks for the help! I'll see how I get on with replacing the caps before looking at the various chips.

I have a question about the cd spindle, should the cd loosely fall onto it? It doesn't seem to have any of the resistance that you get with the PSX or Saturn when placing a cd in the drive.
penrhos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penrhos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2017 at 7:06pm
Yes the CD just rests on the spindle and is clamped in place by the magnetic ring in the lid.
Gunstar View Drop Down
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2017 at 7:18pm
Awesome, thanks again for the help, penrhos!
penrhos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote penrhos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2017 at 11:24pm
I got my cap kits from here..

GamedoctorHK stocks them too.

On one of the DUO's I have leaking caps have caused some components to fall off the PCB as the pads/legs have been eaten through by the electrolyte.

I used side-cutters to chop the tops off the SMD caps (by cutting between the plastic disk and the metal  can so not to damage the PCB) then desoldered the old legs from the pads, cleaned the PCB up with Isopropanol, and soldered the new caps into place. Took me ages for the first one.

I still have issues with getting audio to play from the CD's even after fitting the cap kit but at least the audio is OK on HU-cards and it loads data fine from CD-ROMS.

Edited by penrhos - 07 October 2017 at 11:33pm
Gunstar View Drop Down
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2017 at 1:35am
Thanks for the link, I went with GamedoctorHK for the kit. 

I opened it up and I think I've noticed one leaking cap, also there was some mysterious fluid in few other places that might be good indications of bad caps. Hoping this will solve the issues but the graphical corruption has me worried!

Luckily nothing seems to be eaten like with what happened with your DUO. I'll keep that in mind when trying to take the SMD caps off, hopefully, they'll come off cleanly without me ruining the pads. I've done a GameGear recap before but that was around 13 caps or so, the TurboDuo requires 55! Pretty sure that's going to take me an entire day.

Have you considered getting a new cd-rom? I don't even know if you could obtain that part now.
penrhos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote penrhos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2017 at 6:21pm
Its a HOP-M3 so you can still get new pickups.

It takes me about 4 hours to re-cap a DUO Embarrassed

I chop the tops off all the SMD caps and use a solder sucker on the radials as it speeds up the removal process and reduces the chances of lifting the pads off the board. Once they're all off I desolder any remaining legs and tin the pads ready for new caps.

I use isopopanol to clean any leaked electrolyte from the PCB and use a fiberglass pen to clean up any corroded pads.

After my audio issue I then check the 4558's near the heatsinks for corrosion and replace if necessary.

I work from the right front corner backwards re-fitting the caps, for the SMD ones I bend the legs at 90 degrees and chop them off level with the sides of the cap, put a bit of flux on them and solder them onto the tinned pads.

I've found the cd rom pots 101 & 103 needed a slight tweak once the new caps were fitted.
Gunstar View Drop Down
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2017 at 12:05pm
I should probably pick up Hop-m3 as a backup, just in case they dry up.

4 hours, you show off! Took me about that or more for just the game gear recap.

Appreciate the tips and info! I noticed gadget UK had a somewhat similar issue on his pc engine and it turned out he had a bad GPU chip but I'll see when the caps arrive if I need to purchase that, I hope I don't have a lemon on my hands!
penrhos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penrhos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2017 at 12:55pm
If you need any chips I have a scrap pc engine I've been stripping for parts.

I'm also putting some bits up for sale over the weekend.

Gunstar View Drop Down
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2017 at 8:36pm
If you have a spare HSRM20256LM12 ram chip or a HU C6270 I'd be interested!

penrhos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penrhos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2017 at 1:00am
Originally posted by Gunstar Gunstar wrote:

If you have a spare HSRM20256LM12 ram chip or a HU C6270 I'd be interested!

Do you need them de-soldered or still attached to the PCB?

Gunstar View Drop Down
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2017 at 12:22pm
De-soldered would be great but if it's a pain then with the pcb would be fine also. Let me know how much you'd like for them!
gojira54 View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gojira54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1 minute ago at 9:37pm
I've got a HU C6270 stuck to filing cabinet, dunno if it works or not but yr welcome to it if u like :p

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic