Forum Home Forum Home > General Arcade Chat > Arcade - General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Turbo Outrun - Any love?!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2huwman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turbo Outrun - Any love?!
    Posted: 15 September 2017 at 9:47am
I recently got a Turbo Outrun PCB to play on my Outrun DLX and was pleasantly surprised by how good it is! It had been setup to use the start button as turbo, and works perfectly with the movement and shaking/rumbling etc. My expecatations were quite low since I could only remember playing it once in an arcade and not enjoying it at all. And the general negativity that there is towards it as an unworthy sequel.

Anyway, what I like about it so far are:
  • Fast and somewhat forgiving racing action - you can bump other cars a bit, go offroad, and take a bit of damage without necessarily stopping.
  • Racing against a rival and being pursued by the police are cool additions.
  • I think it makes better use of the movement and shaking/vibration in the DLX cab than the original Outrun, what with it responding to debris on the road & jumps, and rumbling when revving at the start,etc.  
  • Audio I would say is generally good. No iconic tunes like the first one, but the sound FX are good and meaty, and it keeps on rockin'!
OK, so the graphics are definitely more bland and have less style, but some of the scenery is well done and shifts at an impressive rate. I also like the fact that you race all 16 levels in a row. Might be a negative for some people but I like it. 

Anyway, clearly not up to the lofty standards of the first one, but not too shabby either in my opinion. Anyone else got some love for turbo?

Message me if you need a JAMMA Cab-ready 15Khz MAME PC!
k1ngarth3r View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k1ngarth3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2017 at 10:13am
I have the upright Turbo Outrun and really love it!

I'm not very good at it though, I have the difficulty on 'Normal' and can get to maybe stage 5 on 1 credit and even with 10 credits and still can't finish the game!

I might give it a go tonight in fact, you've put me in the mood!

Would love the official deluxe Turbo Outrun cab but image playing the game like you do is even better!

Edited by k1ngarth3r - 15 September 2017 at 10:47am
cosine View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cosine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2017 at 10:29am

Yeah I quite like it Wink It was the 1st cab I bought since I couldn't find an Outrun locally, but I really enjoyed Turbo on the C64 as a kid, so this was the next best thing for me.
The way I see it, if you don't treat it as an Outrun game, it's a perfectly good racer in it's own right. People berate it, as it's not as good as the original, which I don't disagree with, but to right it off completely is unfair, I've clocked up many hours on this machine, and I still love it Smile
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my sanity the most.
seanr28 View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanr28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2017 at 10:39am
my restored Turbo Outrun

20170518_144934 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/149562394@N02/]
2huwman View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2huwman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2017 at 1:16pm
Some very nice looking cabs there! I need to smarten mine up Embarrassed 

Taken on its own merits it's definitely a good game!
2huwman View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2huwman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2017 at 11:56am
...and there's even an 'arcade perfect' home port now - on the 3DS. 

With added widescreen & 3D (which works really well on this and many of the other converted sega arcade 3D classics - worth getting a 3DS just for these games IMO).

And some 3DS gameplay (not my vid).

Brettster View Drop Down
Patreon
Patreon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brettster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2017 at 12:36pm
Never really given Turbo outrun a chance
first played it in a deluxe cab and thought the turbo button was cool
but always preferred Chase HQ, and of course the original Outrun
not keen on outrunners either
also didn't know it was out on the 3DS so may give it a purchase :)

Looking for a Daytona, Sega Rally cab
lhantz View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhantz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2017 at 1:23pm
Thanks for the heads up, I must get all these Sega 3D titles for when I get the SNES 'New' 3DS XL in a few weeks (Metroid FTW)
outrun1986 View Drop Down
Bonus Stage
Bonus Stage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outrun1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2017 at 1:29pm
the sega games on 3ds are good space harrier 3d looks good i think i have 3 packs on mine but some are japanesedont know if all came out in uk
turbo outrun has grown on me i played it first on amiga
it was better than outrun amiga with the intro ooootttttrrruunnnnnn
which was good till you played the game
samusaran View Drop Down
High Score
High Score

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samusaran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2017 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by lhantz lhantz wrote:

Thanks for the heads up, I must get all these Sega 3D titles for when I get the SNES 'New' 3DS XL in a few weeks (Metroid FTW)

Great game Metroid, I'm playing it at mo.

Will get Turbo Outrun as didn't know it was out, only Outrun.
Flinnster View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2017 at 8:02pm
Personally I always felt Turbo was Sega trying too hard to be cool, and missing the 'sweet spot' that they got just right in the first game. I think they got a lot closer in Outrunners (although that one was perhaps trying to be a bit too much like a theme park ride!), and later on with Outrun 2 than with Turbo. Not saying I'd write it off completely, but it doesn't quite tinkle the high notes for me.

Still jealous of all you bods with dedicated cabs tho Tongue

Edited by Flinnster - 18 September 2017 at 8:04pm
Wanted:
- PCBs: Rainbow Islands, Rolling Thunder
- Parts: Naomi non-swivel castor wheel, coin mech metal clip for Dino King Door
- House Extension
Tedward View Drop Down
Bonus Stage
Bonus Stage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tedward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2017 at 12:05am
Honestly never had many chances to play it. Wasn't as common and whenever I did see one there was something better to play.

There was a fully converted DLX Turbo at an arcade somewhere on the Kent coast a few years back... unless it's gone now, how has anyone not hoovered it up yet?
REVENGE OF DR ROBOTONIC
2huwman View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2huwman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2017 at 6:56am

Nice - I've preordered the SNES 3DS XL as well LOL

Turbo Outrun has only been released so far in Japan as far as I know, as part of the third compilation of Sega 3D Classics. But if you've installed CFW then you can play it Wink

Pretty much all of the others are on the Europe eshop or on the compilation released here (including Power Drift - hooray!). 

lhantz View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhantz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2017 at 11:10am
Is Sega 3d classics collection worth getting? I notice it is missing Space Harrier and Outrun or or they included as an unlockable or something?
2huwman View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2huwman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2017 at 11:13am

Is Sega 3d classics collection worth getting? I notice it is missing Space Harrier and Outrun or or they included as an unlockable or something?

Definitely - it's got power drift! Plus loads of others!
lhantz View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhantz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2017 at 11:19am
Cheers I'll get that, shame it has no Outrun or Space Harrier though. Hopefully we will get a Vol.2 released with Turbo Outrun, Afterburner, Streets Of Rage 2 etc..

Just seen SEGA 3D FUKKOKU ARCHIVES 1.2.3 TRIPLE PACK but for Japan 3DS only, gah!

Is it possible to make a UK 'new' 3DS multiregion?

Edited by lhantz - 19 September 2017 at 11:21am
2huwman View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2huwman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2017 at 11:21am
Yeah, or download them individually from the eshop!
2huwman View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2huwman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2017 at 2:31pm

Cheers I'll get that, shame it has no Outrun or Space Harrier though. Hopefully we will get a Vol.2 released with Turbo Outrun, Afterburner, Streets Of Rage 2 etc..

Just seen SEGA 3D FUKKOKU ARCHIVES 1.2.3 TRIPLE PACK but for Japan 3DS only, gah!

Is it possible to make a UK 'new' 3DS multiregion?

yes, you need to install custom firmware. it's a bit of a process but there are plenty of guides. just make sure you don;t update your 3ds firmware as the newest one isnt supported (last time i checked).
tin View Drop Down
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2017 at 2:38pm
I love Turbo more than Outrun. Is that bad? It's probably because shoveling many 10ps into a Turbo upright in a holiday park somewhere down Devon/Cornwall way was my introduction to Outrun.

I have an Outrun DLX at the moment and partly because the Outrun board has a sound fault, TOR is in there. I bloody love it. The whole cab still needs some work and the ROMS (I think) don't understand a DLX cab, so I don't yet get the full DLX experience, so your post has egged me on to try and get more bits fixed!

Same feelings as you otherwise I think - love the rivalry, the weather & stuff on the road, the sort of early warning of smacking into a few things and not coming to a halt. For some reason I love the upgrades, with finding out if you got beat, the upgrade tune from various Sega games (Hotrod is the only one I can remember right now) and the little band in the corner playing it are neat touches.

Personally I think the tunes are better than Outrun though, better use of the same hardware, less plinky-plonky than Outrun. I am of course talking shades here - Outrun tunes are iconic, TORs are listenable IMHO.

I think I do miss the option of taking routes though, although that does mean a full game of TOR is longer than Outrun, it also means it's the same journey every time. Can't really decide on that one.

The C64 conversion absolutely ruled as well (apart from the tape loading).

Regard the 3DS I understood it was Sega 3D classics 1 = outrun, 2 = power drift and 3 = turbo outrun, but 3 isn't released in anywhere but Japan yet. I was debating getting the triple pack and a Japanese 3DS just to get my hands on TOR. Never thought of the e-shop, will investigate!

2huwman View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2huwman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2017 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by tin tin wrote:

I love Turbo more than Outrun. Is that bad? It's probably because shoveling many 10ps into a Turbo upright in a holiday park somewhere down Devon/Cornwall way was my introduction to Outrun.

I have an Outrun DLX at the moment and partly because the Outrun board has a sound fault, TOR is in there. I bloody love it. The whole cab still needs some work and the ROMS (I think) don't understand a DLX cab, so I don't yet get the full DLX experience, so your post has egged me on to try and get more bits fixed!

Same feelings as you otherwise I think - love the rivalry, the weather & stuff on the road, the sort of early warning of smacking into a few things and not coming to a halt. For some reason I love the upgrades, with finding out if you got beat, the upgrade tune from various Sega games (Hotrod is the only one I can remember right now) and the little band in the corner playing it are neat touches.

Personally I think the tunes are better than Outrun though, better use of the same hardware, less plinky-plonky than Outrun. I am of course talking shades here - Outrun tunes are iconic, TORs are listenable IMHO.

I think I do miss the option of taking routes though, although that does mean a full game of TOR is longer than Outrun, it also means it's the same journey every time. Can't really decide on that one.

The C64 conversion absolutely ruled as well (apart from the tape loading).

Regard the 3DS I understood it was Sega 3D classics 1 = outrun, 2 = power drift and 3 = turbo outrun, but 3 isn't released in anywhere but Japan yet. I was debating getting the triple pack and a Japanese 3DS just to get my hands on TOR. Never thought of the e-shop, will investigate!

The more I play TOR, the more I like it. Agree with you about the sound quality on TOR - nothing's gonna beat flooring it to Magical Sound Shower and Splash Wave on OR for me, but I'm not a fan of Passing Breeze really. All the music in TOR is very listenable and well done. 

Just wondering if you've checked the dip switch settings on your TOR PCB? Make sure theyre set to the DLX settings, or you wont get the motion & feedback. 

And on the 3DS, the eshop has loads of the games, but I don't think TOR is on the European eshop yet. 

Never had a C64 but heard the conversion was unusually good. A bit like Chase HQ on the Spectrum - better than it had any right to be!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic