Forum Home Forum Home > General Arcade Chat > Arcade - General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Turbo Outrun - Any love?!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2017 at 10:02am
Personally I'd rank it as my favourite OutRun game.

Sure, there are things that were better in the original, such as the branching tracks, iconic tunes and in places the graphical style (although I'm not actually too keen on the general washed out look the original has) but Turbo Outrun always felt like a more intense game, better suited to the arcades than the original.

One thing worth noting with it is that like OutRun there are player noticeable differences between the available romsets, the main one being the newer sets use the music in a different order than the older ones.
tin View Drop Down
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2017 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by 2huwman 2huwman wrote:

Just wondering if you've checked the dip switch settings on your TOR PCB? Make sure theyre set to the DLX settings, or you wont get the motion & feedback. 

I have, unfortunately. The board was sold to me as not being compatible with DLX and nor can I map the start button to turbo. The dip switch settings screen shows it as "no function" but weirdly it flashes the start button as if it would work. I think it's a ROM thing, some new EPROMS arrived about a week ago, I just need to get round to learning how to burn them! I can get to stage 8 now without turbo Tongue

And on the 3DS, the eshop has loads of the games, but I don't think TOR is on the European eshop yet. 

I can feel a japanese version purchase is coming on!

Never had a C64 but heard the conversion was unusually good. A bit like Chase HQ on the Spectrum - better than it had any right to be!

Yeah I think that's true. There was clearly a LOT of effort gone into it. It was very special at the time, as I say just the tape load screwed it completely. Hoping some enterprising hacker creates a cartridge version at some point and I'll give it a good play again!
moomootown View Drop Down
Bonus Stage
Bonus Stage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moomootown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2017 at 10:56pm
I have a Japanese 3ds and the 3 physical Sega compilations - the uk release (bizarrely exclusive to Argos) is actually pack 2, they just named it 1. So essentially pack 1 didn't come out in the U.K. And that's the one with the original Outrun on it. You can download Outrun though from the eshop and space harrier etc.

Turbo is great on 3ds, the Japanese also have Thunderforce III :)
maverick View Drop Down
Bonus Stage
Bonus Stage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2017 at 10:25pm
If you love OutRun check also the original japanese course that Yu suzuki made in the beginning but just for the japanese market (overseas is like we know it today),

Here some more informations when we talked about it years ago

Link:

http://www.jammaplus.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=25957&title=outrun-japan-course

Edited by maverick - 29 October 2017 at 10:25pm
Powman View Drop Down
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2017 at 2:28pm
I played the turbo version before the original in arcade, because of this i prefer turbo, but mostly because it looked so cool. I wonder if everyone had seen turbo first maybe they would think the same as me. Outrun on consoles didnt interest me so much.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic