Forum Home Forum Home > General Arcade Chat > Arcade Reports
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skegness = crap!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tedward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Skegness = crap!
    Posted: 12 September 2017 at 9:25pm
Well just a few weeks ago I came away from a holiday in Skeggy rather disappointed. I have been going for the past few years and although there is nowt in the way of classic cabs I do like the selection of modern cabs on offer.

Well that has all changed. Gonna vent my anger out in this post so it'll be very long lol.

The first arcade I went in was Lucky Strike... on the second floor near to the back they have a good amount of modern cabs but the condition of them is absolutely terrible. All the rear projection cabs have had very very bad LCD conversions, they are the right size but the games look terrible on them, yes even the Lindbergh stuff like Harley Davidson and OutRun 2 SP DX. 

Speaking of OR 2, the state of this one was very very bad. The hydraulics seemed to work then they stopped and then they started up again. Can't imagine that's a good thing. Plastic was chipped everywhere, covered with tape in haste. The wheels were almost hanging off and the force feedback on the first is buggered. And some graphics + texture glitches were already happening, oh dear.

I tried to have a go on both Operation Ghost and Time Crisis 5 but neither would coin up. I tried both types of £1 coins but they just wouldn't start. Didn't want to play it as it's not very good but I ended up playing on a DLX Sega Rally 3. Again bad LCD conversion, music was barely audible, and hydraulics weren't working. There was another one of them next to it for link play but it wasn't working.

Most of the other arcades in Skegness were the same story (bad condition, turned off) except with less cabs- I tried the new Walking Dead game which was in some of them, as despite being a Raw Thrills game I did quite like their Jurassic Park shooter. 

...Unfortunately it has these stupidly massive crossbow controllers that are hard to use well. Why couldn't have they just stuck with actual guns... I mean even if Sega did it first with House Of The Dead I wouldn't care...

The pier was somewhat of a standout, they had some okay condition stuff at least and there was a few games that predated 2010 (Ghost Squad, Time Crisis 3 & 4, Star Wars Arcade Trilogy, Thrill Drive 2, King Of Route 66). No OutRun 2 though Unhappy

I did venture out into other near by towns and the arcades were actually much much better. Mablethorpe had The Mirage, which is absolutely massive. It has absorbed an arcade next door to it and a indoor market space behind it over the past few years which I find insane. Lots of good modern cabs as well in top condition (Lost Land Adventure, Battle Gear 4, Rambo, Jurassic Park) and...

Hell yes Smile This one was in top notch condition too. Strong force feedback and hydraulics, fully functional controls, and music turned up loud which is always a good thing when it's OutRun 2. The only defect it had was a rather dim projection screen on the second car. I have heard Sega now have a team that do LCD conversions themselves now so hopefully this is fixed soon.

There was also a 3 screen F355 Challenge at the back, it's living out it's last days it seems as the left screen is down Confused bizarrely there was another older racer, Touring Car, in The Mirage too, and I could've sworn this wasn't there last year. I think it's been restored as well, the only damage I could spot was the tiniest bit of screen burn.

Ingoldmells was okay as well, Planet Fun had lots of good condition cabs and Fantasy Island's 4 player deluxe Daytona is still alive and kicking Big smile

Cameras have been ripped out, rear projections are now LCD's and the seat hydraulics were barely working, but that's to be expected for a 20+ year old machine. Enjoyed a few plays.

The indoor areas of Fantasy Island have had a refit to look a little ore appealing since I was last there, and the arcade has been included. While the Daytona was once in the main arcade it's now been moved to the indoor plaza with a few other cabs. 

I'm surprised they haven't gotten rid of it considering that new Daytona's out. Someone with nuff money save it before it's gone... I don't think there's too many of these deluxe Daytona's are left now.

Finally I went into Winthorpe just outside of Skeg after hearing there was an arcade there. There was indeed, Smith's Amusements. This place had almost no new machines in at all, not even coin pushers or fruities, it looked like it had not been touched since around 2005 or so.

I got excited for a few seconds thinking there would be some forgotten Jamma's in the corner but it was not to be unfortunately. That's not to say they didn't have games though, in fact they had the oldest games I encountered while there, although they were of varying condition. 

Oh and I got pics this time, that's one other thing I hated about the arcades of Skeg, they were real hard on cameras there. I had to use a family member's phone though instead of mine, and we were about to leave so some of them didn't come out well.

Ridge Racer 2... sadly switched off. Shame too, I would've loved a play on it.

OutRun 2... one side didn't have sound and the other (as you can see from the photo) had a severely discoloured CRT. Bloody Sanwa's Angry

Time Crisis 2... actually in good condition, good calibration on guns and good CRT's. Scary to think it'll be 20 years old next year.

Ghost Squad... rear projection was on it's way out and player 2 gun was a bit iffy, but playable.

Not pictured was a King Of Route 66 (discoloured CRT again), Sega Rally (one side had a LCD conversion, surprisingly 4:3), Suzuka 8 Hours 2, Fast & Furious, F&F Superbikes, and a few DDR's + 2 Real Punchers.

And that was it really. I came away from Skegness with a bad taste, it now seems that you should just avoid the big seaside towns if you want good cabs in nice condition and go for the smaller ones. I was just surprised at the state of them entirely, although you could blame it on the fact that I went right at the end of the summer after 6 weeks of tourists.
REVENGE OF DR ROBOTONIC
Nukem View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nukem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2017 at 8:02pm
I agree with the title, didn't read the rest Wink LOL
Buy & Sell retro (and modern) games & consoles? Join us --> Click Here
k1ngarth3r View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k1ngarth3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2017 at 8:21pm
Enjoyed your write up, loved the pictures too.

Although it's not a patch on what it was it still looks kind of good - I guess I was expect zero machines so seeing some nice ones there was nice.
jase38 View Drop Down
Bonus Stage
Bonus Stage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jase38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2017 at 11:29pm
Great write up. It's a shame to hear about the condition of the cabs in 'Skegvegas'.
'
I enjoyed my trip to Mablethorpe a couple of summers ago, they've got a decent selection of modern titles and that OutRun2SP SDLX is awesome. There used to be an F-Zero AX in Mablethorpe, I'd love to know what happened to that / where it ended up.

Raw Thrills output has definitely improved over the years.  I quite like the Walking Dead game myself, despite never seeing an episode of the series.  Me and my daughter often put a couple of quid in the Jurassic Park game as well.

Edited by jase38 - 14 September 2017 at 11:31pm
Tedward View Drop Down
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tedward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2017 at 11:51pm
Oh and I forgot to mention... Butlins has gone to crap even further now. Last time I was there their arcades were packed full of modern vids, a rather good 2p pusher-to cab ratio.

However, as of this year, they've had a massive cull of everything (not only vids but fruities, 2p and ticket machines) in both it's arcades. As a result, unless some of these had already gone and my mind is playing tricks on me, all these poor games have gone...

House Of The Dead 2, 3, and 4
Time Crisis 2, 3, and 4
Ghost Squad
NASCAR Arcade
Terminator Salvation (yes even that)
Lets Go Jungle
Sega Rally 2
Sega Rally 3
OutRun 2 (Cry)
After Burner Climax
Silent Scope EX
King Of Route 66
F&F Super Bikes
Fast And Furious
Mario Kart Arcade GP
GRID
Dream Raiders
Transformers
Deadstorm Pirates
Rambo
Need For Speed
Sonic Allstars Racing Arcade
H20verdrive
Dark Escape 4D

And what's left? Jurassic Park Arcade, 4 player Cruis'n Blast, and some motorbike sim (MotoGP?), again 4 player. To be fair the last two are fairly impressive but it's not enough. Where's the Star Wars Battle Pod? Where's the Time Crisis 5? Where's The Walking Dead Where's the new Daytona? Where's the new Mario Kart Arcade? And why have even pretty recent games got the chop too? 

All I can say is that I probably won't be going back to Butlins anytime soon, unfortunately. Having said that I didn't go the whole way around the site, so there may be another separate arcade I didn't see. But if all those modern cabs got the skip that is very sad.

Edited by Tedward - 14 September 2017 at 11:57pm
REVENGE OF DR ROBOTONIC
venom View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote venom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2017 at 12:05am
Oh happy memories.

Train from Leicester, bottles of thunderbird wine, arcades and then finding one of the few B&B's that would take a load of teenage lads.

Yes are computer club geeks were not great female magnets !

Big smile

Owner Supreme video, a Woodie and Thunderbirds pachislo.
DPrinny View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DPrinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2017 at 6:01am
Viz got it right

TNOG.ORG - Games nights in Manchester
tb2000 View Drop Down
Da Mon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2017 at 8:27pm
Can't understand why arcades now have machines in such disrepair (the ones down here in Cornwall seem to be fairly well kept at least, from what i've seen anyhow!) Surely with stuff working properly people would be a bit more willing to come in and spend a few quid? Even if they don't have anybody anymore onsite that can repair the monitors, 5 minutes on the 'net would find people who do repair them! The Outrun 2 SP SDX doesn't even need converting to LCD - they use DLP projection as far as I know so it more than likely just needs a new lamp in that second cab. £50 or so off of eBay, job done!
Currently looking for: Ridge Racer PCB set (or Rom set), maybe a B+W game pcb of some sort :)
DPrinny View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DPrinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2017 at 9:14pm
Its probably because they dont know how to fix them and dont want to spend money
TNOG.ORG - Games nights in Manchester
Tedward View Drop Down
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tedward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2017 at 11:47pm
To be fair I did go at the end of the summer, that's 6 weeks of kids/chavs jumping on the machines and battering them...
REVENGE OF DR ROBOTONIC
andrewberwick06 View Drop Down
Patreon
Patreon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewberwick06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2017 at 8:20am
yep skegness area has a chap in mablethrope tat can repair monitors. had stuff repaired by him before :)

also best time to go if you want i reasonably quite is 1st week of holidays :P lol  

Edited by andrewberwick06 - 22 September 2017 at 8:21am
ლ(ಠ_ಠლ)
woody View Drop Down
Insert Coin
Insert Coin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2017 at 11:37am
Originally posted by Tedward Tedward wrote:

Oh and I forgot to mention... Butlins has gone to crap even further now. Last time I was there their arcades were packed full of modern vids, a rather good 2p pusher-to cab ratio.

However, as of this year, they've had a massive cull of everything (not only vids but fruities, 2p and ticket machines) in both it's arcades. As a result, unless some of these had already gone and my mind is playing tricks on me, all these poor games have gone...

House Of The Dead 2, 3, and 4
Time Crisis 2, 3, and 4
Ghost Squad
NASCAR Arcade
Terminator Salvation (yes even that)
Lets Go Jungle
Sega Rally 2
Sega Rally 3
OutRun 2 (Cry)
After Burner Climax
Silent Scope EX
King Of Route 66
F&F Super Bikes
Fast And Furious
Mario Kart Arcade GP
GRID
Dream Raiders
Transformers
Deadstorm Pirates
Rambo
Need For Speed
Sonic Allstars Racing Arcade
H20verdrive
Dark Escape 4D

And what's left? Jurassic Park Arcade, 4 player Cruis'n Blast, and some motorbike sim (MotoGP?), again 4 player. To be fair the last two are fairly impressive but it's not enough. Where's the Star Wars Battle Pod? Where's the Time Crisis 5? Where's The Walking Dead Where's the new Daytona? Where's the new Mario Kart Arcade? And why have even pretty recent games got the chop too? 

All I can say is that I probably won't be going back to Butlins anytime soon, unfortunately. Having said that I didn't go the whole way around the site, so there may be another separate arcade I didn't see. But if all those modern cabs got the skip that is very sad.

the company operating the arcades at butlins has changed
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic