Forum Home Forum Home > General Arcade Chat > Arcade Reports
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Japan gets all the fun! - VR Zone in Shinjuku

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Japan gets all the fun! - VR Zone in Shinjuku
    Posted: 07 September 2017 at 8:31pm
Man I would love to be in Japan! A work colleague forwarded this to me today, no idea if it's been posted anywhere but it's the first time I've seen it.

Now I likes me classics of course, but this Bandai Namco operated VR arcade in Japan fills me with hope for arcade gaming. Mario Kart in full VR sitting in a motion-rigged kart where you can use your hands to throw the weapons? Yes bloody please!
They also have some really nice other VR demos, from Dragonball-Z using a wall sensor so you can do hadoukens (or whatever) with your own hands, to a copy of Namco's PropCycle in VR with the good old pedals flapping your wings.

Check it out:

Edited by Flinnster - 07 September 2017 at 8:31pm
Wanted:
- PCBs: Rainbow Islands, Rolling Thunder
- Parts: Naomi non-swivel castor wheel, coin mech metal clip for Dino King Door
- House Extension
damagestar View Drop Down
Patreon
Patreon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damagestar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2017 at 8:50pm
Mario Kart looks incredible would love to have a go on that!
samusaran View Drop Down
High Score
High Score

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samusaran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2017 at 10:17pm
+1 for mazza kart
Looks superb
Tedward View Drop Down
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tedward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2017 at 11:09pm
Yeah these do look really cool. Never liked Mario Kart Arcade but the fact there's now a VR version exclusive to them gives it the edge. And Prop Cycle VR is all kinds of awesome. 

Not sure if I'd like that Dragon Ball Z fighting game in VR though... I'm fine with VR for racing or shooting games but something just doesn't seem right in making a VR fighting game.

I would love to see Namco dig up some of their old 90's IP's, you know the ones I'm talking about, stuff like Wild River, Aqua Jet, Alpine Racer. Now that would be fun to play in VR. The absolute dream though for me would be Ridge Racer VR. All will be forgiven, Namco, if you make that...

It's funny how it was supposed to be the future back in the 90's with the Virtuality games and arcades like Sega World but then it just kind of died out. Only time will tell if it's here to stay now...

Actually, I'm fairly certain I've heard about one of these opening up at the O2 arena in London. Can anyone in the area confirm?

Edited by Tedward - 07 September 2017 at 11:43pm
REVENGE OF DR ROBOTONIC
Flinnster View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2017 at 11:31pm
First I've heard. But if it's true I'll definitely be going before the headsets and controllers get all sweaty and worn out Big smile

Did you go to the Troc in London when they had the virtuality area with the hang gliding game and the fighting pods? It was high novelty and not really that well received by most - how primitive it was.
I was working on ideas to use VR to train staff to get off oil rigs in an emergency before they started work on one, back in the mid-90's. As you say it all died a massive death. This week an old colleague of mine was featured on the BBC news with his new photo-realistic training aid for fire fighters.
So yeah, the computing power and backpacks / headsets are finally, finally, after decades getting there!

Edited by Flinnster - 07 September 2017 at 11:32pm
Wanted:
- House Extension
Tedward View Drop Down
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tedward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2017 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by Flinnster Flinnster wrote:

First I've heard. But if it's true I'll definitely be going before the headsets and controllers get all sweaty and worn out Big smile

Did you go to the Troc in London when they had the virtuality area with the hang gliding game and the fighting pods? It was high novelty and not really that well received by most - how primitive it was.
I was working on ideas to use VR to train staff to get off oil rigs in an emergency before they started work on one, back in the mid-90's. As you say it all died a massive death. This week an old colleague of mine was featured on the BBC news with his new photo-realistic training aid for fire fighters.
So yeah, the computing power and backpacks / headsets are finally, finally, after decades getting there!

Never did had a chance to go to Troc, although I have played on a Virtuality machine before. It was at that Snibston museum which has sadly closed down now, I think they were having a retro gaming exhibition with consoles and arcade machines. And a Sinclar C5, for some reason.

Anyway, oh yes it was very primitive. Didn't it run on Amiga's or something? I was just reading up on them and I am surprised how many games they actually made for it.

Oh, and here's a video of the Troc's Virtuality games I've found, as well as G-LOC. Apparently this was actually the very first place in the UK to get them.

REVENGE OF DR ROBOTONIC
Flinnster View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2017 at 2:15am
Yep seen that video before - it's a goodun! I think they'd switched round the games the times I went, I don't remember that Battlezone style tank game.
Unfortunately the specs were a lowly intel 486 I believe. With the turbo button taped in Tongue
Wanted:
- House Extension
Tedward View Drop Down
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tedward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2017 at 5:11pm
Right found a article about Namco's new 'VR Zone' inside a Hollywood Bowl at the O2...

Currently there's a game there called 'Argyle Shift'. Never heard of it but it looks like you control a mech or something. I love Virtual On and mech games in general so I may give it a visit if I'm ever near there.

There is also 'Hospital Escape Terror', which is of course your bog-standard VR horror game. Oh, and Mario Kart Arcade VR is supposedly in the pipeline!

I must ask though, why isn't this at Namco's Funscape in County Hall? You'd think that, with it being their most successful and well known arcade, they'd have it there instead of having it on the side of a bowling alley, although to be fair one near the biggest arena in the country... still it makes more sense to me at least they would have it at their flagship arcade.
REVENGE OF DR ROBOTONIC
Lupin View Drop Down
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lupin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2017 at 3:34pm
In and out of Japan often so thanks for info Flinnster.

Here's floor plan and current VR games and prices:

New game will be Ghost in the Shell, coming soon(TM).
Flinnster View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2017 at 3:38pm
Great game lineup there. I'd happily play the lot! Damn teleportation needs invention...
Wanted:
- House Extension
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic