Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade Technical and Restoration > Restorations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Two Magnum Cabinets - restoration project

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peterc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Two Magnum Cabinets - restoration project
    Posted: 31 August 2017 at 1:31pm

Hi,

My name is Piotr (Peter) and it is my first post here, to be honest I found this forum 3 days ago, when I started my journey towards restoration of the two cabinets :D.

It think that like most of you ;) I had a dream of having an arcade cabinet at my home (having in my mind memories of my childhood in '80s a). So I was looking to buy second-hand cabinet rather than building a complete new from the plans. I found such opportunity this weekend. One disadvantage was that I had to buy the two instead of one (the seller wanted to sell it in bulk). But I think having two arcade cabinets is more cool than having the only one ?.

Therefore, on Sunday after 12h in the car traveling with my older son through Poland those two Magnums landed next to my garage.

The first words of my wife were: I didn't realised that those cabinets would be so big... ;) ;) Well, those are big indeed and quite have (I estimates around 70kg each). Budget consumed so far 400$ (including fuel and transport). And those cabinets have CRTs which is just beautiful:D.

tl;dr -> Two cabinets will be restored

Restoration
I still not 100% sure, how I will restore those. I think that I will put into one Pandora box and into another one RaspberryPie. My initial though was to leave one with Magnum style - leaving as much as is possible untouched, and the second one did with full restoration (including side painting) - but I am not sure about it.

Subsequently I have started the removal of everything to find out what could be needed to be repaired. Luckily, at least at first glance it looks inside better than I expected.

CRT is there and seems to be unbroken. Monitor seems to be from Italy, Board is a Chinese replacement - it is even better - seems that it was working not long time ago.

Other close-ups:

It needs a little bit of clean-up - I love those dead spiders...

Funny Fuses - haha, I had a laugh there, how it was done. I think that previous owner didn't have enough fuses to be replace. Or it could be an indication of some other problems with electricity...

So at this moment a lot of things are just removed in orded to be cleaned and this is just going to take some time...

Plan for this week
1. Finialise the demolition phase...
2. Start of patching, filling and cleaning sides of the cabinets.

Couple of questions:
     1. Are you familiar with any plans of those cabinets?
     2. Have seen such buttons and joystick - any names to search it on the internet?
     3. T-molding - I was looking everywhere to find such fancy tmodling (chrome with black stripes). Have you ever seen such molding? Detailed picture below:

I hope that you will like this report/log and please excuse my language/spelling mistakes (probably so far you have noticed that English in not my native language ;)).

Best regards, Piotr
bones View Drop Down
High Score Ref
High Score Ref

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2017 at 2:51pm
Nice looking cabs mate.

I wouldn't bother tarting them up.
I'd give them a clean, then have one horizontal & the other vertical.
They'll look mint next to each other. Thumbs Up

AaronBoone View Drop Down
Patreon
Patreon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronBoone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2017 at 3:22pm
Welcome for the forum! Those cabs are massive aren't they. Personally I'd probably make one into a dedicated Street Fighter II as there's enough room on the control panel for a few more buttons and it'd look awesome on a 25" screen. 

Regarding your questions, they're generic JAMMA cabs so it's unlikely you'll find much about them I wouldn't think. The joysticks are bat tops - you can find loads of different types of joysticks and buttons at https://www.arcadeworlduk.com/. I think you'd struggle to find any more of that exact T-molding - arcadeworld has something a bit similar and you could always have a look on https://www.t-molding.com/ to see if they have something near to it.

Good luck with whatever you do to them and take lots of photos as you're going!
damagestar View Drop Down
Patreon
Patreon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damagestar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2017 at 9:01pm
Hi Peter welcome to the forum.

They are nice cabs, nice design nice shape. They look quite modern but originally only had 2 buttons by the looks of it. I bet they weigh a lot more than 75kg as well, probably well over 100kg
peterc View Drop Down
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peterc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2017 at 11:41am
Hello Gents,

Thank you very much for the warm welcome here and your responses :). It is always encouraging!

Bones -> What a great idea  I did not think about that before and that is a very good justification to keep those two arcades at home… the best think is that those CRTs are having kind of the frame that should give such possibility to move it vertically or horizontally… some close-up pictures below. Only one thing that worries me is how to get rid of that high voltage from monitor (yes, I watched a couple of youtube films how to this with the screwdriver…).

CRT frame close-ups

AaronBoone -> thank you for sharing the link for that t-molding – it is possible that I will take that one since I haven’t much luck finding something similar elsewhere. Photos – yes, why not, maybe it will be relevant for somebody else.

damagesta -> yes, you can be right about those tow buttons (then it fits into design of the panels), especially that some of the buttons are of different types and also the holes in the pulpit are bored poorly.
And yes, those can be closer to 100kg – still my arms are sore ;))) after moving those on 1floor (where my workshop is located) – even though I did it together with help of me neighbour – we sweated a lot during that activity… ;)

Demolition in progress

So the metal parts will be sanded and painted again because those are a little bit rusty. I plan to patch sides and give them a good sanding with that vibration devil during the weekend.
I should be able also to clean at least some of the buttons or glasses).

I think that I would do ‘1942’ sidearts for vertical and ‘invaders’ for horizontal cabinet. I managed to order some toys (buttons, joystick, cables vga/cga converters, raspberry )from Aliexpress, so another 190USD was added to the project, totalling so far 590. Since I am going to strip the paints from marquee and monitor glass I was thinking of scanning it before ruining it – just in order to leave it to the future generations ;) What do you think is it a good idea to attach those scanned pictures to this thread?

Best regards, Peter
big10p View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2017 at 12:08pm
Nice design of cab, those. They look great together as a pair, too.

BTW, you don't need to discharge the monitor to rotate it.
bones View Drop Down
High Score Ref
High Score Ref

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2017 at 2:32am
Originally posted by peterc peterc wrote:

Hello Gents,

Thank you very much for the warm welcome here and your responses :). It is always encouraging!

Bones -> What a great idea  I did not think about that before and that is a very good justification to keep those two arcades at home… the best think is that those CRTs are having kind of the frame that should give such possibility to move it vertically or horizontally… some close-up pictures below. Only one thing that worries me is how to get rid of that high voltage from monitor (yes, I watched a couple of youtube films how to this with the screwdriver…).

CRT frame close-ups

Yep, spin the monitor on the 3 button cab to vertical & keep the 6 button cab horizontal. Cool
peterc View Drop Down
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peterc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2017 at 1:48pm
Hi,

Thank you for your input to this thread.

Therefore, during the weekend I spend a lot of time on patching and sanding the sides.

Also couple of hours were devoted to cleaning and removing last parts of the cabinets. Luckily, I had a little helper who is visible on the photo below. I also bought screws and some L-shaped metal plates (another 30USD added = 620 USD in total) in order to replace some rusty ones. Cabinets were really dirty inside – I imagine that it was a first cleaning of the inside ever – apart of dead spiders I have found also some dried snails shells and 1 PLN coin (around .25USD) inside .

I also decided to drill an additional button hole for credits. I was done with help of my neighbour and a few glasses :) of vine  yesterday evening. Today I visited local paintshop, so all metal parts will be sanded and painted with glossy black paint. I expect to receive it back in two weeks.

Measurements were also done yesterday – I plan to prepare the artwork for the cabinets’ sides – I planned to make one with ‘1942’ game, but since I’m a real fun of Spitfire planes (as you can see some pictures are already hanged on my workshops’ walls) I think that I will make Spitfire cabinet devoted to Sq. 303 from WW2.

And last but not least two questions :).
Question 1. Rotating Direction of monitor
Which way/direction I should rotate the monitor - is it always CCW/CW - is there any way to indicate it without turning it on?

Question 2. Coin mechanism
Do you recognize the coin PCB I have below on the pictures? I suspect that it is as board, which controls the coin mechanism - it has 10 wires to be plugged to coin mech. In addition, I wonder what is the purpose of that turnable knob and the button. It would be really nice to find the coin mechanism that could work with that PCB board.

Best regards and… stayed tuned! :)
Peter
peterc View Drop Down
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peterc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2017 at 12:25pm
Hi,

I hoped to work on the cabinet more during the weekend, but I did not manage to fulfil the plans ;).
However, there was some progress -> I cut the bezel from 700g paper (luckily I had one damaged in the cabinet that I could use as a template). I decided to use self-sticky black, glossy and carbon foil to put it on the back of the cabinet. This type of foil usually is used to cover the cars and comes quite cheaply. It saved a lot of painting work since back of the cabinet was covered with old, miserable black paint. The preparation of the surface was simple it took no more than 5 minutes to smooth the wood under the foil.
Friend of mine luckily find somewhere in the net a manual for B915 PCB I was asking in the previous post – even though it is written in Deutsch I was able to decode most of the info. B915 is a 4-channels coin acceptor board, including 12V coin counter and sound selector. I hope that I will make use of it in the future (now thanks to the manual I know how to program those M1, M2, M3 selectors on the board).
I also order the hardened glass to replace the old ones (should be ready this week) and I looking forward next week to receive sanded and painted joystick panels. Still there are no parts from Aliexpress yet… I expect to receive those next week. We shall see…
I started to prepare the graphics for sides and panel - one of the cabinet will be devoted to Metal Slug… the second one – I am not so sure still...

BR. Piotr
peterc View Drop Down
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peterc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2017 at 8:28am
Hello,

During last weekends, I was working a little around this project. I managed to draw the template for sides (as you can see below first fittings) – I have prepared the graphics as well – this one is going to be dedicated to Metal Slug.

I have ordered also new reinforced glass. In addition, I brought home painted metal parts.

So let us add-up once again the costs… so far 620 USD + 30 (printing services) +25 (glass) + 125 (sanding and powder painting) = 800 USD in total so far for both cabinets.
Finally… Pandora box arrived yesterday I have wired it up and…

Hooray… It is alive… at least one of two  I was happy to see it up-and-running. I have not checked the second one yet.

In the meantime… I was tempted to buy another toy… which arrived last week to my garage… . Unfortunately it doesn’t have boards and monitor chassis – so that project looks a little more complicated.

So I will continue above project during next month - but I expect to manage to finish it in October.

BR. Piotr
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic