Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade Technical and Restoration > Tech, Maintenance & Repairs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why is my cab blowing the plug fuse?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why is my cab blowing the plug fuse?
    Posted: 13 August 2017 at 12:16am
Oh dear. I have a jamma converted Dino King cab that's now blown the 5Amp fuse in the plug at the wall three times this weekend.

It had done it once before, when it had all the Dino King original internals in there, so I'd just put that down to it being the one that the op had used for years and put it down to age.

Soo... I did some tests to try and isolate the issue.

- First of all I removed the ISO transformer and monitor power from the incoming mains filter.
   Because I can hook up a couple of Dino King cabs next to eachother, I was able to run the video via VGA out to another fully working cab next to it. I spent a good while running jamma boards, MVS, PGM with just the switching power supply providing power to the coin door area + jamma edge and no issues at all with the fuse all day.

- Then I reversed the above, this time removing the switcher from the incoming mains, and just powering up the ISO transformer. Everything worked fine for a good few hours, switching on and off and no issue. Then the cab wouldn't switch back on, tested the fuse and yep it had gone.

So, the issue is related to the ISO transformer, the service panel with the degauss + power switch, or the monitor itself. Literally nothing else was in the cab when the fuse went.
Also it wasn't losing power while playing. It must be blowing the fuse when the power is switched off. Normally I power down the cabs by switching off the wall sockets.

I've checked resistance levels / continuity on all the cables + conections in the above stuff and it all seems similar to the other identical cabs I have. Any ideas? Cry

Edited by Flinnster - 13 August 2017 at 12:18am
Wanted:
- PCBs: Rainbow Islands, Rolling Thunder
- Parts: Naomi non-swivel castor wheel, coin mech metal clip for Dino King Door
- House Extension
gunblade View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunblade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2017 at 12:22am
does it blow a 7a fuse?

Edited by gunblade - 13 August 2017 at 12:22am
Flinnster View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2017 at 12:45am
Pass Smile

I don't think I have any 7a here so I'd have to go shopping!
All the cab's plugs are fitted with 5amps, and I have just 3, 5 and 13 in the toolbox for household stuff!

Edited by Flinnster - 13 August 2017 at 12:46am
Wanted:
- PCBs: Rainbow Islands, Rolling Thunder
- Parts: Naomi non-swivel castor wheel, coin mech metal clip for Dino King Door
- House Extension
gunblade View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunblade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2017 at 9:52am
i would imagine 5a is right on the edge of what that cab pulls
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic