Forum Home Forum Home > General Arcade Chat > Arcade - General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

6 charged with making fake Pac-Man games

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sleazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6 charged with making fake Pac-Man games
    Posted: 11 August 2017 at 10:48am

Havent heard of people being charged for this before.

A certain company in the UK would get hammered!
robin_l View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robin_l Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2017 at 4:46pm
Brilliant!  Let's hope that idea catches on over here!  
Nawa oh!
doorframe2 View Drop Down
Bonus Stage
Bonus Stage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doorframe2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2017 at 8:39pm
Will the last person to leave planet Earth please turn off the lights? 

If it's come to this...............
BigBadWolf View Drop Down
Forum Patrol

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBadWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2017 at 9:13pm
what were they doing? cabs with roms?
JAMMA+
***Sorry.. I have no fcuks left to give!
Flinnster View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2017 at 12:40am
I would say it was the piccy of their 'family run company' warehouse looking like a proper arcade production line that probably made IP holders or authorities in a state where lots of game companies reside get a bit iffy about things:

I'm sure they were doing things nicely and had lots of positive feedback, but ultimately if doing it without a license from the original manufacturers they are just re-using other peoples cabinet designs, artwork, and games to make a profit, even if they are making a ton of physical bits themselves.
(I can write CDs, so I can start selling compilations of Beatles Albums online right, that's retro music now eh?!)

Once you get a certain size and public image for that, then in the current climate where 'retro is cool', you are definitely going to raise attention (and in silicon valley no less!). I can't see authorities going after the average hobbyist who makes a mame cab for fun though.

In short, they should have done their manufacturing in Guangdong like everyone else, while making phone calls and taking orders while residing in a tax haven like the Cayman Islands Tongue

Edited by Flinnster - 12 August 2017 at 12:54am
Wanted:
- PCBs: Rainbow Islands, Bomb Jack, Rolling Thunder
- Parts: Naomi non-swivel castor wheel, coin mech metal clip for Dino King Door
- House Extension
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic