Forum Home Forum Home > General Arcade Chat > M.A.M.E
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adventures in Maming an Afterburner Cab

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Patreon
Patreon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brettster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adventures in Maming an Afterburner Cab
    Posted: 05 August 2017 at 11:15pm
While I'm waiting for a replacement, working afterburner PCB to turn up I have been looking into putting a Mame PC in my cab, should be fairly easy I thought!!!

I wanted to get the full experience of the game in the cab, this means the flashing lights and maybe a bit of shaking too.

looking into what's needed, so far I have

1 PC
Apac for analogue control interface
PacDrive for converting the outputs from mame into flashing lights and feedback
Video Amp to boost the PC output to arcade levels
15k Graphics card (ATI 5450 flashed with Atom15)
Groovymame
CRT Emu Drivers
Mamehooker, to pass the games outputs to the PacDrive

Things really have not gone to plan, it's taken me nearly all day to figure out how this works.
the Main problem was that Mame was not talking to the Mamehooker software
I started by installing windows 7 64bit thinking it would be the most compatible, along with the latest Mame windows command line version, not a thing was picked up by Mamehooker from Mame
the guides are all good but mine was not having it, so I then tried a 32 bit version of Mame, same issue
I then thought it may be Windows, so I started again and installed the 32 bit version of win7. nope nothing. at this point I turned to searching the net and found a couple of youtube clips of this working for Chase HQ and the poster had mentioned which version of Mame it was using.

so I spent another age trying to find a working version of mame 0.147 32 bit. Bingo this worked with Mame hooker and I was finally making progress Wink

once this was working it's really easy to set up
you play Mame in a window and Mame hooker shows you what's outputting so for example when you insert a coin in afterburner it flashes the start button, all you do then is play until you know which output is for what action and then you feed this info back into Mamehooker and re load up your game. Tada flashing lights when you play.

This was all working great with basic VGA graphics but I needed 15k for the cab so I set about flashing the card and installing the CRT Emu drivers for 320 x 224 bliss... then I discovered that this requires win 7 64bit!!!

so back to installing windows again and setting everything back up. fortunately everything is self contained in the Mamehooker folder and this went smooth

While this was installing I found some random threads about mame output being broken and then changed from version 0.170 onwards

So I am now running 0.169 of GroovyMame in silky smooth 15k with some flashing lights  Tongue

here is a quick video of a Days work lol

you can see the bigger blue LED is the lock on light, the small red one is when the enemy has lock and the small blue led is the credit button.

Next step is to get this into the cab and figure out the analogue controls to the apac
If I have time tomorrow, that's my plan

while it's running Mame I've also popped a few more games on like Gloc, Space Harrier, Thunderblade and Galaxy Force

as of yet I dont see any motor output from afterburner and the test menu skips it so I'm not sure if its not being seen by mame but at least it has the lights, Just need to figure out how to connect the Pacdrive to the SSR's in the cab
Looking for a Daytona, Sega Rally cab
gameover View Drop Down
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gameover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2017 at 6:47am
Excellent work there Brett :)

Wish I had the skills that to do that
jessybr View Drop Down
High Score
High Score

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jessybr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2017 at 8:31am
does thundrblade work well??
i have one here with faulty board also,and thinking of maming it

Brettster View Drop Down
Patreon
Patreon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brettster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2017 at 8:41am
Thunderblade should work fine too. although the flashing light only seems to trigger when you are shot down
jessybr View Drop Down
High Score
High Score

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jessybr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2017 at 9:14am
oke thx
Luigi View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luigi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2017 at 8:29am
Very interesting project. Wouldn't it be great to have a few flight games running let's say on a Pi sitting inside the cab? :-)
Brettster View Drop Down
Patreon
Patreon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brettster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2017 at 7:20pm
OK got some time this weekend to work on this a bit more
so far I've rebuilt windows using win 10 x64, latest Mame and swapped the gfx card for an Ultimarc Arcade vga 5000. I had to swap the card due to the Hanty in the cab really not liking the ATI card with Atom15 bios!

Now that I have a nice stable video image, I set to work on the rest
so far I have both the warning lights flashing but I have a dead spot light bulb on the top, so need to source one of those or look at replacing all three with something LED, anyone done this?

I have the fire and start buttons working via the A-pac, Throttle working via the A-pac but Im not sure how to get the UDLR working, the connector from the 2 pots only has 4 wires and I need 5 to feed the A-Pac

I am guessing there is a shared ground that goes to another pin?
I dont fully understand the wiring diagram from the back of the Manual as the start and fire buttons were not where the diagram said they would be.

Im also doing this by hooking everything up the connectors on the end of the loom (the ones where the PCB plugs in) in the hope that a working PCB turns up eventually :)

can anyone help solve the analogue stick problem? also is the start button illuminated by 5 volts? tried to hook that up to the pac drive but nothing, and it did work from the PCB so suspect it does power from 5V

almost there!!
BigBadWolf View Drop Down
Forum Patrol

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBadWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2017 at 7:26pm
Moved this for you.. Cool
JAMMA+
***Sorry.. I have no fcuks left to give!
Brettster View Drop Down
Patreon
Patreon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brettster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2017 at 6:18pm
After many Months of Monitor faults, PSU faults and Sound faults
I Finally have this WORKING!!

Sound, Lights Action

And for fun I also played some

also has Galaxy Force II and G Loc
I'm sure there are other games I can include but I'm just happy to get this working eventually

Pressing Fire, Missile and Start exits back to the menu to chose another game and Start also doubles up as coin

Still lots to do to restore the cab, and it needs another bulb or replace with LED ones

Shaking is disconnected!!

seanr28 View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanr28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2017 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by Brettster Brettster wrote:

After many Months of Monitor faults, PSU faults and Sound faults
I Finally have this WORKING!!

Sound, Lights Action

And for fun I also played some

also has Galaxy Force II and G Loc
I'm sure there are other games I can include but I'm just happy to get this working eventually

Pressing Fire, Missile and Start exits back to the menu to chose another game and Start also doubles up as coin

Still lots to do to restore the cab, and it needs another bulb or replace with LED ones

Shaking is disconnected!!

fantastic!  what was the issue with the sound?
Brettster View Drop Down
Patreon
Patreon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brettster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2017 at 7:33pm
it was a Faulty PSU for the Sega sound amp it had voltage but no current, swapped it for a spare and Bam
seanr28 View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanr28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2017 at 7:36pm
ok, is in not fed straight from a transformer?
Brettster View Drop Down
Patreon
Patreon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brettster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2017 at 8:11pm
in this cab the main transformer powers the Monitor 3x lights and motor, 5v Sega Switcher, separate 18V ac to 12V DC psu for the Sega amp
I could have just swapped out the Sega switcher for one that also has 12 v too but I want to keep the cab as stock as possible in the hope that a working AB pcb turns up one day 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic