Forum Home Forum Home > General Arcade Chat > Arcade Videos & Multimedia
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The rise and fall of the London Trocadero

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tedward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The rise and fall of the London Trocadero
    Posted: 03 July 2017 at 9:32pm
Hi all. Around this time last year I began researching the London Trocadero's history, of course particularly the part where arcades come in. I have sat on everything I found (videos, images etc) for quit e a while, but I have condensed them all into one blog post. There are 3 videos of Funland (before Sega World), 6 of Sega World (+ a few more in the links) and a few of Funland's final years after Sega pulled out. I have even included a section about the rest of Sega's UK arcades.

Feedback would be appreciated Smile

Edited by Tedward - 10 October 2017 at 6:36pm
REVENGE OF DR ROBOTONIC
Nukem View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nukem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2017 at 10:11pm
Nice write up, will have a proper read through later :)

Buy & Sell retro (and modern) games & consoles? Join us --> Click Here
Flinnster View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2017 at 10:21pm
Thanks for bringing back the memories Ted. It's a great read, and a great watch.
Really sad to see the state of the place now, not in terms of the building site, but the complete lack of grandeur at the entrance that used to be like the gateway to another world (or a slice of neo-tokyo at least). I cherish the memories Thumbs Up
Wanted:
- PCBs: Rainbow Islands, Rolling Thunder
- Parts: Naomi non-swivel castor wheel, coin mech metal clip for Dino King Door
- House Extension
trev1976 View Drop Down
High Score
High Score

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trev1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2017 at 10:24pm
Never got to go to Troc

Went to Bournemouth and Southampton plenty of times though.

Edited by trev1976 - 03 July 2017 at 10:25pm
david656 View Drop Down
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote david656 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2017 at 9:43am
Great Post!

I passed my driving test in 2010 (Bristol) and exactly one week later a few of my friends said "lets drive to Funworld!" - probably not the best plan a week after passing my test!

We drove straight into the center of London and parked up £20 for 1.5 hours!!

I have to say we were a little disappointed, having read that article I now have an understanding of why, so sad.

I never did get a chance to go to any Sega arcades, which is a shame.
Monkeykong1 View Drop Down
High Score
High Score

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monkeykong1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2017 at 4:30pm
I remember that full size Ridge Racer. 
BBZ149 View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBZ149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2017 at 9:08pm
I never went and worked up the Road BITD Disapprove Got this today from a m8

vib_ribbon View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vib_ribbon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2017 at 9:16pm
i got a big bag of those, but over the years i've been giving some away here, some away there... to the point where i've stopped giving them away. Confused

ps- i got them because my sister did her work placement there for her uni. she gave me a huge bag. LOL i've got 2 different designs here.

ps- i also have tokens for namco wonderpark county hall.

Please don't sell me anymore stuff!
Games fixed: 001 (green beret) 002 (ikari warriors) 003 (victory road) 004 (sfz2) 005 (double dragon) 006 (final fight) 007 (sky shark) 008 (ninja turtles)
BBZ149 View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBZ149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2017 at 9:41pm
Hey Chun, now I know what colour it was supposed to be! LOL Might have to polish it and get a Coin holder to make it into a Keyring. Then again as they are quite common might just drill a hole throught it and stick it on my Keys Big smile

currerbell82 View Drop Down
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote currerbell82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2017 at 10:19pm
Yep, I spent many hours at Trocadero mostly playing 3rd strike and Alpha 3 on the Versus City cabinets. Shame it's gone now as I work quite close to Piccadilly, would have been nice to pop over after work...
Grinning Cat View Drop Down
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grinning Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2017 at 6:11pm
Really great post. Those videos showing the escalators, etc really bring back the memories. 

Only got to the Trocadero once (when it was Sega World). Definitely regret never making it back...although I'm pleased I at least saw it once in its prime. Sad seeing the various phases of its subsequent collapse.

The rides - even as a kid - seemed kind of meh. But the arcade and atmosphere were amazing.
Nomax View Drop Down
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nomax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2017 at 8:57pm
Thanks for the great write up! We (me girlfriend and I) visit London once a year since 2006 for the annual arcade trade show. We witnessed the decay of Funland year on year. Such a sad story!

I remember we enjoyed playing Derby Owners Club and Star Wars Racer a lot!

We eventually bought the 2 Initial D 4 cabinets that were there (a very rare European model, Sega didn't build a lot of them). We currently rent them to a showman operating an arcade on funfairs.

When visiting London nowadays, we always stop by Las Vegas arcade in Soho to play Initial D 8, Taiko no Tatsujin 13 (Night of Fire!) and THE Bishi  Bashi. Best arcade in London! A lot smaller but better than Namco Funscape which is filled with so-so games and redemption machines...
Tedward View Drop Down
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tedward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2017 at 9:43pm
Ever since first publishing it I have made some changes and revised some parts of the article. So if any of you would like to have a second look at it or if you haven't seen it at all yet, that would be nice.

Just to tease you this is just one of the additions I have made to it... found this on the old troc website through the internet archive.

REVENGE OF DR ROBOTONIC
Mark View Drop Down
Bonus Stage
Bonus Stage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2017 at 12:39pm
This is a bloody amazing article. Hit me up if you want to extend it at all, I worked the west end scene back in the day and purchased a lot from them at the end.
Tedward View Drop Down
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tedward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2017 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by Mark Mark wrote:

This is a bloody amazing article. Hit me up if you want to extend it at all, I worked the west end scene back in the day and purchased a lot from them at the end.
Hi Mark, of course I'd love to extend it. Trying to make it as complete as possible. Btw I'm right in thinking you're the Mark Starkey of HoG fame right Wink 
REVENGE OF DR ROBOTONIC
DrGlitch View Drop Down
High Score
High Score

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrGlitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2017 at 2:57pm
This is excellent, I was interviewing Michael Green who ran the Troc today and your blog fills in a lot of the blanks. Superb work!
WTB: Xain'd Sleena pcb (on its way!), Vendetta 2 player (arrived!), Robocop.
ecoin435 View Drop Down
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ecoin435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2017 at 7:45pm
Fantastic article. A friend introduced me to this place when I visited him in London. Brings back memories.
char1ie View Drop Down
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote char1ie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2017 at 8:32pm
I went in the first weeks it was open and played Bonanza Brothers and Smash TV and loved the place. Then worked opposite and went in lunchtimes to play Attack from Mars - late 90s?.

A great arcade when it first opened and when it opened it was so behind the times - like the second coming of video games.

Charlie 
Field305 View Drop Down
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Field305 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2017 at 3:47pm
Awesome article! My trip to London and to Sega World during the Millenium change was amazing!
Tedward View Drop Down
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tedward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2017 at 12:20am
Been in touch with an architectural firm, Proun, that is based in London. Came across their website while looking for Trocadero pictures and turns out they designed most of London's arcades, think the only exceptions are Sega World and Namco Wonderpark (was hoping to get more pictures of that oneUnhappy). Got some pretty cool pics of the others though!

Funland

Original entrance

Another entrance, after carefully looking at videos of the Troc I think this is from the Sega World years...

Finally, after Sega World closed and Funland took the reigns but before it was reduced to 1 floor...

'Game Zone'

Love the deluxe Virtua Racing Cool

'Amusements'

If you look very closely you can see a Super SF II marquee getting in on the shot...

Namco Funscape/Station

Typical really that the arcade they designed was the County Hall one not Wonderpark... still you can see some good Konami made (Domy's?) DLX sitdowns in these... you can also tell this was taken later on as there's more redemption.

There's more pictures on their website here, although these are all the pictures of arcades there's also further pics of Funland and Namco, mostly their bars and pool tables, and they also constructed the Pepsi Max drop ride in the Troc.

REVENGE OF DR ROBOTONIC
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic