Forum Home Forum Home > General Arcade Chat > Arcade Reports
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Konbo arcade cafe, Edinburgh

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jackie Harris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Konbo arcade cafe, Edinburgh
    Posted: 17 May 2017 at 11:37am
I've been working on this quietly for a while, and we're finally open! :D

Konbo is a Japanese arcade inspired cafe in Edinburgh. We have candy cabs running a range of games (all original PCBs, of course) in a pleasant cafe environment, with good quality coffee & locally sourced pastries, cakes, plus some Japanese sodas and snacks. 2 Blasts, 2 NACs, 2 Astros, imported stools and a mix of vintage and repro arcade art.

We just opened this past weekend, and we've had a great response so far. A nice mix of casual and hardcore gamers, all different ages, plus people just coming in for a quiet coffee and a cake :)

Please come visit us if you're in the area. There's a full list of games, plus opening hours, directions, etc. on the website: http://www.konbo.co.uk

Here's some photos for now:

beecee View Drop Down
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beecee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 11:49am
looking good, wrong side of Edinburgh for me to pop in on way past.Cry
good luck.!
Arcade/Jamma/Supergun new boy.
OutRun2 View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen
Out-y-run Kenobi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OutRun2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 12:54pm
Brilliant work, congratulations! Clap

I opened this thinking it was another of your excellent arcade reviews so wasn't expecting this!  Many people in the hobby long to open their own arcade or gaming cafe and you have actually done it!  It must have been a massive amount of work so I'm pleased that you have some good footfall so far.

Good luck with it and I hope the cabs behave themselves!! Thumbs Up

BTW excuse my Japanese ignorance, but what does Konbo refer to?
Would like:

No more cabs.. please!!
damagestar View Drop Down
Patreon
Patreon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damagestar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 12:56pm
Looks really good that mate. Next time I get dragged up to Edinburgh to see the in laws I'll be sure to pop in although I've only just been recently so fingers crossed I won't have to go for another year or 3.
gojira54 View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gojira54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 1:08pm
Looks cool =]
昆布 or combo ;)
swisstoni View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swisstoni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 1:09pm
Looks great will definetly pop in next time im up there.
GamesRoomMaker View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GamesRoomMaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 2:39pm
Totally going through to that soon, looks brilliant
Jackie Harris View Drop Down
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackie Harris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 3:20pm
Hey, thanks so much for the nice comments! :)

OutRun2: 'konbo' is just Japanese useage of 'combo' - I figured the word crops up in so many types of games (fighters, shmups, dancing games, etc.) that it covered a lot of ground, plus could refer to fact that it's a combination cafe + arcade, plus it's Japanese but easy to pronounce & recognisable in english! :)
muddymusic View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen
Official Porchy fan club member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 3:59pm
Very cool! Best of luck with it. I'll probably be in Edinburgh for the Fringe so will come for a visit!
Repro Arcade Artwork supplier, pm me or visit arcadeartshop.com
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GamesRoomMaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 4:03pm
Let us know when Muddy, I'll probably head through for that too, be cool to get my ass kicked at something by you
neil1637 View Drop Down
High Score
High Score

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neil1637 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 4:16pm
Been following you on Twitter. Best of luck. Nothing like another reason to visit our favourite city. Hope to see you soon.

Please visit my Arcade Diary Blog at https://neilsarcadediary.wordpress.com/

Always looking for Cabaret Cabinets

john bud View Drop Down
JB Mobility Scooters

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john bud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 4:52pm
how close is it to a train station ??? and is there a pub handy ??? looking good though Clap
god my fingers ache
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackie Harris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by john bud john bud wrote:

how close is it to a train station ??? and is there a pub handy ??? looking good though Clap

15 minute walk from Haymarket station, and there are numerous pubs nearby! :)
damagestar View Drop Down
Patreon
Patreon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damagestar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 7:26pm
How much are they a go or are they set to free play?
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackie Harris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 7:37pm
We have custom arcade tokens! 4 credits for £1.
Flinnster View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 11:06pm
A bazillion miles away unfortunately, but I think I saw the delivery of your candy cabs when they were in a row on the pavement! Good luck with it all, if I'm ever up there, I'll get JB to buy me a drink Wink
Wanted:
- PCBs: Rainbow Islands, Bomb Jack, Rolling Thunder
- Parts: Naomi non-swivel castor wheel, coin mech metal clip/screw for Dino King Door
- House Extension
subzero View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subzero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 7:44am
theres only 3 candy cabs! why are you all getting wet and excited???
john bud View Drop Down
JB Mobility Scooters

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john bud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 7:54am
good to see your on the ball as usual steve ??? try reading the original post again Wink
god my fingers ache
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GamesRoomMaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 8:15am
i think its more excitement over there actually being an arcade anything anywhere and honestly, fair play to you for getting this up and running and wish the best for you. Its a bit off the beaten track so I hope you get a following of sorts, I'll definitely be making a visit
1980-20.. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980-20.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 11:47am
Looks amazing keep up the good work fellas.

Thumbs Up
If at first you don't succeed

Give up!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic