Forum Home Forum Home > General Arcade Chat > Arcade Reports
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Drayton Manor Arcades

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tedward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drayton Manor Arcades
    Posted: 18 April 2017 at 9:50pm
Had a trip down to Drayton Manor today. They've done up quite a few bits of the park since I last went (2008, 2009ish I think), and the arcade(s) were one of them. I remember the main arcade there when I was last there wasn't too bad, I believe there was a Daytona, Manx TT, Alpine Racer 2, Ridge Racer 2, F355 Challenge, OutRun 2, Ghost Squad, House Of The Dead, Time Crisis 3, 2 jamma cabs with a selection of games (might've been pandora's box or something similar,), and either a Virtua Fighter 3 or Tekken 4 cab (not too sure- could've even been another jamma but I remember a 3D fighter of some sorts, of course I could be looking back with rose tinted glasses on the whole thing and there might've been half of those games). 

I was looking forward to not only going on the G Force roller coaster, but also playing some Ridge Racer, Manx TT, and some original jamma's- haven't seen them in a while. However I was in for a shock. With the arcade being done up, over half of those games have gone, and all but a few have been replaced with newer titles Cry

As I walked around, I was in shock at how almost everything was just pushers and redemption games. Unless it was my mind playing tricks on me and making me have false memories (does happen often), this meant that House Of The Dead, Daytona, Ridge Racer 2,  Alpine Racer 2, F355 Challenge, and the 3 cabs were all gone, presumably scrapped. Ghost Squad remained, with a alright screen, but the coin slot was taped over, which I assume is bad news for it. They had made a small effort to replace the games however, although all of the ones they had replaced them with were nowhere near as good. There was a 4-player Fast and Furious Super Bikes, Jurassic Park Arcade, Super Alpine Racer (did try to play on this one, but the thing you use to move was completely jammed), Deadstorm Pirates, House Of The Dead 4 (guns knackered, plastic was chipped and screen didn't pick them up), EA NASCAR (presumably a replacement for Daytona) and a Big Buck Safari. So, in other words, terrible so far. In fact, considering they'd just done it up, I'd of expected better things, like refurbed cabs not jammed and unplayable ones.

I hadn't checked out the exit, and hoping it would still be there, I walked to the exit to see if Manx TT was still there. I seem to remember it being there the last time I came, and everything left from before was in the original layout, but it was gone. In it's place, rather embarrassingly, was one of those tiny kid's horse games. There were some security guards walking about (the park was infested with them) near the doors, so I had to take this pic quick, sorry if it's blurry. I don't normally take pictures, but I just had to this time. It looks that bad.

Anyway, disappointed, I walked over to where the rides were. I did then find a smaller arcade near the huge raft ride (another disappointment, that was shut), where Time Crisis 3 and F355 Challenge had been moved. Time Crisis 3 was ok, but F355 was a weird hodgepodge of bits of the old OutRun 2 and the F355 Challenge. The cab was F355 (albeit with side stickers peeling off) but the seats and marquee was OutRun 2, which was odd. Still though it was playable and I enjoyed a few credits on it. Even these are becoming a bit more scarce, so it may be a while before I see another.

Also, I didn't go round the whole park. Didn't look round the zoo or the back half of Thomas Land, while it isn't likely there could've been another arcade there. 

Anyway, that's Drayton Manor. What once had one of the better theme park arcades isn't as good now. It's in a real sad state. But, you don't come for the vids, you come for the rides, and I atleast had fun on those.

Edited by Tedward - 18 April 2017 at 9:58pm
REVENGE OF DR ROBOTONIC
venom View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote venom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2017 at 11:03pm
It's sad that also  many sea side arcades are now nothing but pushers and fruit machines.

In Weston Super mare oddly the pier is one of the best arcades now, although you have to pay now to go on the pier which pees me off.

It was repaired after the fire  this is pure greed.

Weston Grand’s owners reach out of court settlement

An out of court settlement has been reached between the owners of WESTON-SUPER-MARE GRAND pier and Yeoman (Fire) Monitoring Services regarding the blaze which destroyed the pavilion building on 28 July 2008. It was reported that the first alarm went off at 0135 but no calls were made to the Fire Brigade until 0700. No admissions of liability have been made. A separate claim against System 2 Security Ltd. is due for consideration at Bristol Mercantile Court in November.

https://www.piers.org.uk/2012/10/?post_type=news
Owner Supreme video, a Woodie and Thunderbirds pachislo.
Tedward View Drop Down
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tedward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2017 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by venom venom wrote:

It's sad that also  many sea side arcades are now nothing but pushers and fruit machines.

In Weston Super mare oddly the pier is one of the best arcades now, although you have to pay now to go on the pier which pees me off.

It was repaired after the fire  this is pure greed.

Weston Grand’s owners reach out of court settlement

An out of court settlement has been reached between the owners of WESTON-SUPER-MARE GRAND pier and Yeoman (Fire) Monitoring Services regarding the blaze which destroyed the pavilion building on 28 July 2008. It was reported that the first alarm went off at 0135 but no calls were made to the Fire Brigade until 0700. No admissions of liability have been made. A separate claim against System 2 Security Ltd. is due for consideration at Bristol Mercantile Court in November.

https://www.piers.org.uk/2012/10/?post_type=news

Yes, I have heard of the whole story of Weston's pier, as I'm sure most of us have. Haven't been yet but from some videos and other write-ups I can tell it has a pretty good selection of vids. Didn't know you had to pay to get in though. Sad really. They make enough money off of the games and pushers and rides and cafe's there.

Edited by Tedward - 18 April 2017 at 11:25pm
REVENGE OF DR ROBOTONIC
venom View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote venom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2017 at 8:37pm
Yes went drayton manor wickstead park and the American adventure as a kid !!!!
Owner Supreme video, a Woodie and Thunderbirds pachislo.
abaxas View Drop Down
High Score
High Score

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abaxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2017 at 8:57am
trip to spar is like a trip to mars... beep bepp
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic