Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade Technical and Restoration > Reproduction Parts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Picked up a CF Card Reader...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
High Score
High Score

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteComet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Picked up a CF Card Reader...
    Posted: 03 April 2017 at 12:18pm
So picked this up yesterday... I know a few people have made there own and some people even made them.. just wondering the origins of this card reader?

Also am I right in thinking that one card per game?
So the other cards I got maybe other games, just the matter of plug and see what comes on screen?

Full Restoration & Build at www.initiald.co.uk
penrhos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penrhos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2017 at 12:33pm
Your dimm needs to have firmware 4.02 to boot from non-Sega CF's.

Yes it really is that simple:-
1) Check your dimm is set to GD-Rom mode and has FW 4.02.
2) Plug CF-Reader into dimm.
3) Use power lead that used to run GD-ROM drive to power CF-Adapter.
4) Put a CF into the adapter.
5) Switch on Naomi and it'll boot the same way it would if a GD-Rom was attached (no quicker, just quieter)

One game per card. 

To re-program them you need the 4-digit card-id from the CF-card, CF-Flasher software & the correct ISO's (the data on the card is encrypted using the Card-ID). 

I think the one you have was a batch made on "Assembler games" - the ones Darksoft/Mitsu sell need the Sega SCSI cable to connect it up.

They work a treat, but are more suited for playing the same game for a while (ie in an arcade), netbooting is better if you don't play games for long before switching to another one.

Cabs : 2 * Leisure 2000, 2 * Euro 25, 1 * Velwix, 1 * Super Megalo, High Stakes pinball.
WhiteComet View Drop Down
High Score
High Score

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteComet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2017 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by penrhos penrhos wrote:

Your dimm needs to have firmware 4.02 to boot from non-Sega CF's.

Yes it really is that simple:-
1) Check your dimm is set to GD-Rom mode and has FW 4.02.
2) Plug CF-Reader into dimm.
3) Use power lead that used to run GD-ROM drive to power CF-Adapter.
4) Put a CF into the adapter.
5) Switch on Naomi and it'll boot the same way it would if a GD-Rom was attached (no quicker, just quieter)

One game per card. 

To re-program them you need the 4-digit card-id from the CF-card, CF-Flasher software & the correct ISO's (the data on the card is encrypted using the Card-ID). 

I think the one you have was a batch made on "Assembler games" - the ones Darksoft/Mitsu sell need the Sega SCSI cable to connect it up.

They work a treat, but are more suited for playing the same game for a while (ie in an arcade), netbooting is better if you don't play games for long before switching to another one.

thanks for info...

this card reader plugs directly into the DIMM... I got the Naomi2 and DIMM as a set with the cards so hopefully it should all plug and play.

Why would I re-programme them? Just outta interest?

Full Restoration & Build at www.initiald.co.uk
penrhos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penrhos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2017 at 12:52pm
To play different games. (but as you have a driving cab probably not worth bothering with).
Cabs : 2 * Leisure 2000, 2 * Euro 25, 1 * Velwix, 1 * Super Megalo, High Stakes pinball.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic