Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > Computing & Online Gaming
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for a new Large Desktop Monitor

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which Monitor would you go for?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [20.00%]
4 [80.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBZ149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for a new Large Desktop Monitor
    Posted: 31 March 2017 at 9:08pm

Looking at getting a Large Desktop Monitor, 40 - 42.5" I don’t like those ultra wide screen Monitors and only play the odd Game apart from the Oculus! Here are the comparisons between the 3 I've been looking at LINK Not too sure on the IIyama even though they made great Monitors BITD! Some reviews say it takes about 10 - 15 seconds to power on. I could probably live with that if it blows the other 2 monitors away though! 

Any ideas?

Brettster View Drop Down
Patreon
Patreon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brettster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2017 at 11:29am
Personally I would go for the Iiyama (Nanao) as it seems to offer the best of features, and accurate colours
input lag is a little higher than the Philips but as you are not gaming too much on it then its not a big issue
I game on a 4k 65" LG TV with much higher input lag than the Iiyama and never really notice it
also its brighter, better contrast and higher pixel density

Looking for a Daytona, Sega Rally cab
BigBadWolf View Drop Down
Forum Patrol

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBadWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2017 at 11:47am
I'm in the same boat dude. looking for a new monitor. I dont game much, but use it for work. I am going for a 21:9 ultrawide.
I could really use the extra real estate, I have about 5 apps open when I'm working and would like the windows all spaced out in front of me instead of all stacked up behind each other.

The only choice for me is whether to go for 34" Ultrawide (1440p) or 38" Ultrawide (1600p). No way i'm going to buy a 16:9 monitor ever again..

Spent 4hrs streaming/watching stuff on the pc last night, all presented in 21:9 too... also, with games (if you play) you get a much wider field of view. But the best feature for me is by far the ability to have everything open in front of you, I hate minimising.maximising windows to get to the one you need, spend lots of frustrating time doing that, usually the window I want is the last one too.

JAMMA+
***Sorry.. I have no fcuks left to give!
Forum Patrol

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBadWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2017 at 11:49am
This is the bad boy for me..

JAMMA+
BBZ149 View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBZ149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2017 at 11:12pm
Cheers for the input chaps Thumbs Up

Originally posted by BigBadWolf BigBadWolf wrote:

This is the bad boy for me..

Erm, yeah I just checked the Price! bad Boy indeed, but ill be forked if ill pay £1600 for a Computer Monitor Shocked

OK, so I have been reading very good reviews on the SAMSUNG C34F791WQU. Yeah I know it's Ultrawide! Any thoughts compared to any of the above minus the £1600 one? Might have to give the UW a try as 100hz with 4ms response time and 3000:1 Contrast ratio for starters.

Forum Patrol

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBadWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2017 at 6:51pm
http://www.ebuyer.com/store/Computer/cat/Monitors/subcat/27%22+-Monitors?a00149=3840+x+1600

Those are the 37.5 / 38" Ultrawideboy options.. 

1288 for the LG 
1199 for the Acer

I have been researching and I know there are both the same LG panel. Asus are also releasing the same LG panel very shortly and it will be considerably less than the two above...probably around the £800 mark.. 

I like the idea of the 1600p resolution on the 38" compared to 1440p of the 34" ultrawides.

Edited by BigBadWolf - 06 April 2017 at 6:56pm
JAMMA+
Forum Patrol

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBadWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2017 at 6:54pm
Overclockers have a good range, I think that is just every 21:9 available on the market aside the 38" ones.. reviews of the popular ones too..

JAMMA+
Nukem View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nukem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2017 at 8:36pm
I would normally go for the Iiyama as I have been using their monitors for many years, but this time I went with a pair of BenQ GW2765's. 27" 1440p (2k) have not got a bad word to say about them...

Buy & Sell retro (and modern) games & consoles? Join us --> Click Here
Forum Patrol

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBadWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2017 at 8:46pm
The Iiyama 40" 4k did not get a very good write up. Specifically, folks are saying it takes too long to boot up.. one chap saying it actually takes too long switching on to allow him to select which OS to boot from..so he has to switch it on a bit before his pc..lol.. 

I use a 32" TV just now and don't want to downsize. I consider a 34" Ultrawide to be downsizing as far as space on my desk is concerned (its' only very slightly wider but not as high).. so im going to get into a 38" Ultrawide, that should be the upgrade in size/space that I need. ..along with upgrade in space to work with and resolution too.
JAMMA+
BBZ149 View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBZ149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2017 at 9:09pm
OK, think I know what I'm going to order now Confused My current Monitor is a Samsung 27" Series 9 S27B970D LINK viewable Height 33cm. 2nd Monitor is a 24" Samsung 245B in Portrait. Never liked the UW Monitors as I would lose the Height compared to what I currently have! but looking at the 38" UW ill prob gain a little and have the extra width!

I was going to go for the LG 38UC99 but been put off by it being 60hz but up to 75hz with Free synch (I have an Nvida 980Ti Strix GPU with G-synch!), also the fact you pay all that Money and it comes with a poxy 12 Month warranty FFS LOL

Think I'll pull the Trigger on the Acer 38" XR382CQK which is also an IPS Monitor but runs at 75hz natively but still has Free synch option but also has a 3 Year full warranty!

Any thoughts before I order?

Edit: Bought the Acer XR382CQK and mounted it onto an Ergotron MX adjustable Mount. Awesome Monitor and very happy with it!

Edited by BBZ149 - 21 April 2017 at 11:30pm

Forum Patrol

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBadWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2017 at 8:18pm
You got it! Awesome.. need to see some pics!!

From what I have read, the LG Acer and Asus 38" UW's are all the same panel in a differen frock, hence all they are all 75hz freesync. I would choose the one with the best warranty too..

My thoughts exactly, didnt want to lose height, wanted bigger.. 38"UW is the way to go. How does the desktop look - you can have a good few windows open at a size you can work with? How do games look in UW (if you have tried any)?

Delighted you got one mate, I'll be right behind you..
JAMMA+
Forum Patrol

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBadWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2017 at 8:21pm
Also, where did you buy from?
JAMMA+
BBZ149 View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBZ149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2017 at 12:50am

You got it! Awesome.. need to see some pics!!

From what I have read, the LG Acer and Asus 38" UW's are all the same panel in a differen frock, hence all they are all 75hz freesync. I would choose the one with the best warranty too..

My thoughts exactly, didnt want to lose height, wanted bigger.. 38"UW is the way to go. How does the desktop look - you can have a good few windows open at a size you can work with? How do games look in UW (if you have tried any)?

Delighted you got one mate, I'll be right behind you..
Yeah that was a real deal killer on the other Monitors! 1 Year for a £1200+ Monitor is Pants! Can open 3 plus Windows no problem. Played Wolfenstein The New Order and Metal Gear Solid Phantom Pain so far at full screen and looks awesome to me!

I got mine from Ebuyer but was £60 more expensive than buying from another Company online but they were not an authorised Acer dealer so your forked for the full Warranty!  Just checked Ebuyer site and the f@ckers have just dropped it buy £60 Angry

Orignal Stand Feet stick forward a bit

So I have mounted it onto an Ergotron adjustable Arm

Forum Patrol

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBadWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2017 at 1:58am
Very cool indeed. i like the stand too..
JAMMA+
Brettster View Drop Down
Patreon
Patreon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brettster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2017 at 10:18am
Oooh looks nice
if Ebuyer are anything like Amazon then they may refund you the £60 seeing as you just purchased it
worth a call or email

Looking for a Daytona, Sega Rally cab
BBZ149 View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBZ149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2017 at 9:45am

Very cool indeed. i like the stand too..
Cheers m8 Thumbs Up I did have 10 of them but sold 7 before thinking Guys on here might want them! Sold the last 2 to Forum members.

Originally posted by Brettster Brettster wrote:

Oooh looks nice
if Ebuyer are anything like Amazon then they may refund you the £60 seeing as you just purchased it
worth a call or email

Thought I would give it a try, Bullshat saying they sourced from cheaper supplier LOL

Hi Terry,

Thanks for your email.

I have had an update from the Product Manager to advise that we’re unable to issue the difference in prices back to yourself I’m afraid.

This is due to us having to source the stock from another supplier offering better prices.

The prices fluctuate frequently and are on limited stock only.

You can keep the product or I can raise a return for the item.

I’m sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Please let me know how you wish to proceed?

Thanks,

Chloe 

Well, I don’t think I’ll be bothering sending it back and re-ordering even though it pisses me of the fact the price dropped just after I bought it!, way I have to see it I've is that I saved more than that in a Week by not smoking!

Actually I’ve saved over £4500 in the 18 Months since giving up which has more than paid for the Monitor and my Diving trip to Barbados at the end of next Month!! Big smile

Forum Patrol

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBadWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2017 at 12:06pm
Top stuff.. I binned smoking over 4 years ago, not looked back. Must have saved lots, the price of tobacco is mental now too. Attitudes are changing too, smoking is becoming more and more unacceptable..  I wish they would do the same with booze and phase that out over time too. 
JAMMA+
BBZ149 View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBZ149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2017 at 1:45pm
Wife has also given up for over 2 Months now. We are both still on E-Cigs though Approve

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic