Forum Home Forum Home > Trading Post > Gumtree/Local Press/Other
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pet Peev

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GamesRoomMaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pet Peev
    Posted: 17 March 2017 at 9:09am
My top 5 major pet peev with peoples ads on gumtree.

5. No picture - In this day and age there really is no excuse when nearly every electronic device takes photos. Personally I usually skip the ad unless its describing something i really want for cheap or if its a rarity, then I would ask if they can put a picture up. But usually i skip by these and surely if they are selling something worth a bit of money that they would notice a low amount of interest.

4. Poor Description - Another one that there is really no excuse except laziness. For instance, I'm on the lookout for a PS3 with backward compatibility or the second model with a decent memory. Not stating the memory capacity for either of these makes you have to ask the questions and I don't know about any of you, but when you ask a question on gumtree apparently that is a binding contract that you are interested and must buy it now lol. Had my fair share of abuse on it too when you ask a question and you don't get the answer you were looking for and then have to pass on it, you've seemingly insulted their whole family.

3. Overpricing - Ok we all knew this would be one of the pet peevs. Not a lot to say about it other than people should stop valuing their items by buy it now prices on ebay, these are just as bad. I understanding using ebay for pricing if you have no idea how much something is worth, but maybe they should be looking at the same item thats about to end on an auction.

2. Using the word 'Rare' for items that are readily available - This really gets my goat this one. lets face it, a NES or SNES is not rare. In box, sealed etc I'd give you, but loose, yellowed and missing some wires? Nah, thats £20 right there. Seems to be a big misunderstanding between the words rare & sought after.

And my number one pick for most annoying thign to do on both ebay & gumtree.....

1. Put the price up when you have some interest - This has happened to me a few times, but my most memorable was when I was wanting the projection screen for my sega rally deluxe on ebay. It had been there a few times and I was waiting on the price coming down as it was too expensive for something that was untested and not really sought after due to no one having this monster except me and a couple of others. It got down to £50 and I was willing to take a chance on it, but the auction was gonna end a few days before payday so I mentioned to the guy i was interested but I'd get it once he relisted, he said that was fine. In the meantime I was away getting quotes for delivery etc. Then when i saw he had relisted it, it was up to £150, the most he had ever had it at! i told him to stick it up his ass from there out of principle. Its actually happened again recently with a tv on gumtree, sitting at £70 which i actually thought was too much and after asking a few questions i was gonna offer £45 (its a rear projection tv), but after he had answered my first question, the price went up to £100. Again, i may be stubborn, but out of principle, i again asked him to direct it towards his posterior.

Whats you guys pet peevs when it comes to this stuff? It can be a frustrating hobby this eh....    
Nukem View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nukem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2017 at 12:25pm
I agree with photo's, just fecking lazy not put put them up.

Putting the price up is a dick move, but sadly greed gets the better of most sellers.

Low balling, I put a few things on Gumtree pretty cheap and all I got was text messages from idiots trying to buy it for 40% less then advertised.

Overpricing, makes me laugh the most, sadly with fecking companies like CEX asking absolute mental prices for stuff, sellers and some shops have started using CEX as a price guide rather than previous sales etc. This has started happening on a lot of Facebook groups as well, "CEX are selling this for £50 so I will take £45 for this £30 game" Wacko

Buy & Sell retro (and modern) games & consoles? Join us --> Click Here
big10p View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2017 at 12:36pm
I always have a good laugh at the prices, when I pass my local CEX.
GamesRoomMaker View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GamesRoomMaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2017 at 12:40pm
yeah i went past the other day, £70 for a lovely mustard coloured SNES. Their games are priced fine when it comes to new stuff, but retro stuff is a joke
L00b View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote L00b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2017 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by Nukem Nukem wrote:

Overpricing, makes me laugh the most, sadly with fecking companies like CEX asking absolute mental prices for stuff, sellers and some shops have started using CEX as a price guide rather than previous sales etc. This has started happening on a lot of Facebook groups as well, "CEX are selling this for £50 so I will take £45 for this £30 game" Wacko
In fairness, if someone wants 'that' game, their choice basically boils down to-

(a) bidding/trying to snipe it at £30 on fleabay (cos B-I-N listings are £60! ),

(b) buying it at CEX at £50 (and taking a look of the box/disc at the time),

(c) buying from the punter at £45 (£5 cheaper than CEX, same 2nd hander, same opportunity to check the box/disc), or

(d) wait some more til values drop some more.

Personally, I do put a reference to CEX values in my Gumtree/Shpock listings (cos it's easy enough for punters to check independently, more so than a running average on eBay), but to BOTH the CEX resale value AND their trade-in value, (or to the trade-in value only, depending on what I'm listing) so the reader appreciates the bargain element.

e.g. I've just put a bundle of 10 boxed xbox 360 games at £2 *under* the CEX trade-in value for the lot (£45 i/of £47). Still expecting lowballers of course, and I'll be happy enough with £40...but to close at £40 on those sites, you can't be asking that: got to ask for a tad more, to then bring it down to that.

CEX are robbing bar stewards, I don't go there anymore as a matter of principle. Nowt to do with their pricing or trade-in differentials: it's the fact that they sold me an xbox one game (2nd hander) for good money, which in the end I never even took out of the box for a single play before I brought it back to them for another trade-in...but then they refused to take it in because there was a hairline crack on the disc central hole. Disc was in the exact same condition they'd sold it to me, I had the receipt of that purchase (couple of months prior, always keep them in the game box). I threw a right dicky fit, shop was full of customers, but they just wouldn't budge.

Moral of the story: if you should ever buy anything from them, ask to see the disc/etc. BEFORE you part with money.

Edited by L00b - 17 March 2017 at 12:59pm
Nukem View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nukem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2017 at 1:18pm
You are forgetting (e) Facebook groups or an actual real shop (NOT CEX/GAME)

There are plenty of groups on Facebook that still offer decent prices, there is pretty much a group for everything like SNES, NES, Sega, handhelds etc. etc. still mostly offering stuff at decent money (there is always the odd idiot trying it on with stupid prices) :)

Real shops still offer decent prices, and nearly all have groups or Facebook pages and/or websites, there are a lot of decent traders that offer very good prices and in most cases will post, Vintage Gamer is one instance, he's a top bloke, good prices and will post, and is very respected in the community, so you know if he says it's mint, it's mint :)

Back to CEX, the voucher price is the usual retail price of the item, take for instance, SNES, they give £49 voucher, most shops sell SNES for £49, a bit less if they are crack whore yellow, they sell for £70 lol... I don't get how CEX have lasted this long with their buy for retail price and sell for even more business model, I guess it's because people don't know any better or are just to lazy to look elsewhere..

As for ShpCOCK, that place is funny, it's worst than eBay and gumtree combined, LOOK AT RARE WII CONSOLE WITH WII SPORTS GAME ONLY £50...LOL
Buy & Sell retro (and modern) games & consoles? Join us --> Click Here
L00b View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote L00b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2017 at 3:10pm
I don't do FB at all, never have, so this probably explains that

Bringing FB groups is a fair cop, but they're still fairly niche for now, they're bit like here for cabs and arcade-related stuff: if you're after this PCB or that dedicated cab, unless you know about J+, AO and/or "t'other guys across the road", where else you gonna look but eBay and Gumtree?

As for ShpCOCK, that place is funny, it's worst than eBay and gumtree combined, LOOK AT RARE WII CONSOLE WITH WII SPORTS GAME ONLY £50...LOL
Shpock is basically eBay reborn the way it used to be when it started.

It's mean to be (and started mostly as) as "localised Gumtree for mobiles", but people routinely do remote trades with P&P on there now.

No compulsory Paypal, no buy it now, no distance selling regs, no buyer protection scheme, etc.

Pure 2nd hand private sales, buyer-beware territory; and real two-way feedback.

Same comments (and pet peeves) apply there as everywhere else, though. In this day and age, there's no excuse for:

(i) no decent photo (no one has to pay for film and development!)

(ii) no decent description (same-o, no one's has to pay extra for more words!)

(iii) outrageously out-of-whack pricing (there's reference pricing for identical sold items available everywhere half a browsing second away)

Edited by L00b - 17 March 2017 at 3:19pm
doorframe2 View Drop Down
Bonus Stage
Bonus Stage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doorframe2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2017 at 7:36pm

Low balling, I put a few things on Gumtree pretty cheap and all I got was text messages from idiots trying to buy it for 40% less then advertised.

Absolutely bang on the money.

Recently sold an old car on Gumtree. Asking £150. Worth £300 if I wanted to wait for the right money but wanted it gone within a day or 2. Did a crap write-up with crap piccies simply saying the basics. Immediately got inundated with offers of £50 - £100. Got so fed up with the offers that I actually accepted one of them. Unbelievably, the pillock didn't even show to kick the tyres. The last straw was some A-Hole asking to swap the car for a bloody mobile phone.

So I re-did the write-up going into a lot more detail, did some much better piccies, and put the price up to £200 with NO OFFERS. Sold it that day. And had to fight them off. Even had bods offering me extra £££s if I'd hold it till they got here.

So I guess what I'm saying is... do a good write-up, with good piccies, have a sensible price (without giving it away) and stick to it, and have plenty of quality sarcastic answers ready for the dicks who are just after something for nothing.

Edited by doorframe2 - 20 March 2017 at 7:37pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic