Forum Home Forum Home > Trading Post > Member Services
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - IronGiant - Arcade Board Repair Service,CPS2 Fixes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IronGiant - Arcade Board Repair Service,CPS2 Fixes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IronGiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IronGiant - Arcade Board Repair Service,CPS2 Fixes
    Posted: 10 January 2013 at 11:09pm
Arcade Game Board Repair Service
Capcom CPS2 Phoenix & Batteries changed

Service details

I repair arcade PCBs and can also replace CPS2 batteries and also 'Phoenix' CPS2 boards.

I can not only replace batteries for CPS2 'B' boards at a cost of £25 plus postage, but I can 'Phoenix' B boards that have died due to battery failure. I charge £50 to do this (plus any parts used (unlikely) plus postage). £25 goes to me, £25 to Raz who created the Phoenix binaries. Alternatively I can re-program the relevant EPROMs with the freely available decrypted code (not made by Raz) so would only charge £25 (plus postage) to do that.

Re-programming pre-CPS, CPS1, CPS1.5 and CPS2 boards that have suicided

Thanks to the excellent work of Eduardo Cruz it's now possible to revive the above boards by re-programming the appropriate chip (not an EPROM) which contains the decryption key for the game. This means that no EPROMs need to be replaced so the board will retain its original game code. The process involves replacing the dead battery with a new one (or two batteries in some cases) and temporarily attaching a specially configured Arduino Uno to upload the decrypted key to the chip that holds it. For this service I charge £35 (which includes the battery/batteries).

Arcade board Repair Service

I repair game boards of all ages and all types, with only a few exceptions. Roughly I cover boards from the late 1970s up until the 1990s, with some exceptions.

Here are my fees:

a) If for some reason I can't fix the game board/boardset and I take less than an hour on diagnostics I'll charge a £25 inspection fee plus return postage - HOWEVER if I spend over two hours on the board and still can't repair it I will charge a £35 inspection fee. I will of course check with the customer after the first hour to verify that the customer wishes me to continue and takes the 'risk' of a non-repaired board and a £35 inspection fee.

b) If I repair the game board/boardset and it takes me less than an hour I'll charge £35 plus any parts used plus return postage

c) If I repair the game boardset and it takes me much more than an hour I'll charge £55 plus any parts used plus return postage

After 3 hours, I charge extra - for example, 4 hours would cost £65, 5 hours would cost £75, 6 hours is £85, etc. If a board repair looks like taking over 4 hours I will of course first ask the customer if they would like me to continue, bearing in mind the extra charge (plus parts plus postage)

NOTE: Notable exceptions to 'b' and 'c' above is Space Invaders and Missile Command boards - for the former I charge £35 if the work takes less than an hour - any more than an hour and the price is £75 plus parts plus postage. For Missile Command boards I charge £35 plus parts plus postage if the work takes an hour or less, and £65 plus parts plus postage per board if the work takes much more than an hour (the £10 per hour extra over 3 hours still applies).
Once the work has been carried out then I'll ask for payment of the relevant amount (preferably paid via UK bank transfer or Paypal using the 'gift' option - but cheque, cash or postal order is also acceptable). Once you have paid the requested amount I'll return the board(s).

Please note that as these boards are of a variable age and operational history there's no guarantee that a totally unrelated part won't fail 'x' hours/days/weeks/months etc after the repair has been carried out. That's the way it goes with old game boards I'm sorry to say. I do of course soak test the board(s) but that doesn't necessarily prove that much.

By sending the board to me to repair you are also agreeing with this. OTHER OLD PARTS CAN GO WRONG AT ANY TIME, EVEN AFTER A REPAIR.

Feel free to PM me here with any enquiries.

Additional note: I do not repair Vector, MCR, Neo Geo or Nintendo boards, sorry!

Contact details

Send IronGiant a private message

Or email - arcaderelics@irongiant.org.uk

Edited by IronGiant - 15 August 2017 at 2:49pm
Pacman83 View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Pac Man UK #1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2013 at 11:26pm
I know you don't do Nintendo PCBs Phil, but what's your take on this ?

IronGiant View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IronGiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2013 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by Pacman83 Pacman83 wrote:

I know you don't do Nintendo PCBs Phil, but what's your take on this ?

Looks like a monitor issue to me - are you able to adjust the red on the monitor (I'm not an expert on Nintendo boards or their monitors). Having said that, Nintendo boards have some out of the ordinary video outputs, so it MAY be a board fault! Sorry to be a bit vague, but others on this forum know more about Nintendo boards than I do.
lhantz View Drop Down
High Score
High Score

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhantz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2013 at 8:16pm
Sent Phil a very poorly Pacmania Namco System 1 PCB, not only did he fix it, he converted it to Galaga '88 with both Jap and Eng ROMs, works an absoloute treat, looks neat and tidy and an incredibly fast turn around with friendly informative PMs all the way. Can't recommend highly enough, thanks
blackie63 View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackie63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2013 at 7:55am
phil saved my sanity and has fixed my operation thunderbolt pcb Big smile very quick job and great communication ,if i had understood half of what he said i would have been pleased LOLvery impressed cheers mate  Thumbs Up
Beware the sheeple the lovers of the all powerful all knowing nanny state !
IronGiant View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IronGiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2013 at 10:37am
No worries mate. Big smile
Pyongyang View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen
Sexmint

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pyongyang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2013 at 11:08am
Just looking at the fine work on 'Dër Mug's' Xexex there and noticed it has the same chewing gum sticks as my Thunder Cross 2 board (the row of standy-uppy sticks). Mine only has one stick where as Mugs has 900 of them!

What happens if those bad boys go wrong? Are they worse to fix than the surface mounted gum stick?
deltatrace View Drop Down
High Score
High Score

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deltatrace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2013 at 6:09pm
Big thanks to Phil for sorting my R Type board. With a couple of chips switched between two originals, I have a fully functioning Irem R Type board Thumbs Up

(Going up for sale later today, hopefully)
Monstermug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monstermug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2013 at 12:09pm
Do you do cps3 batteries too?
IronGiant View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IronGiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2013 at 12:20pm
I can do CPS3 batteries, yes, but you would also need to send your CPS3 motherboard (for the duration of the work) with the cartridge (I don't have one of my own).

Edited by IronGiant - 25 February 2013 at 12:23pm
Pacman83 View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Pac Man UK #1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2013 at 8:06pm
Sorry to sound thick, but what are these CPS batteries ?
IronGiant View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IronGiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2013 at 8:17pm
They are batteries used by various manufacturers for various reasons - in this case Capcom use them on their CPS2 and CPS3 boards as 'suicide' batteries that maintain a voltage to 'keep alive' vital game data - simply put: if the battery dies then so does the game; in the case of a CPS2 game it's the B board that 'dies', with CPS3 it's the cartridge. With CPS2 it's relatively easy to change the battery or resurrect a 'dead' B board, but with CPS3 it's harder to change the battery and only now are ways coming to light (thanks to a lot of hard work by others) to work around a 'dead' CPS3 cartridge.
Pacman83 View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Pac Man UK #1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2013 at 10:53pm
Cheers Phil Wink
paulcan69 View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulcan69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2013 at 1:13am
Just got to big up Irongiant for his services...once again fixed 3 sega boards for me in record time.
Thanks to him I can now play Flicky!
Awesome game!

Cheers Phil, your skills and speed are second to none!
IronGiant View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IronGiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2013 at 10:17am
No worries mate. Flicky really is a great game - I hadn't played it for ages and repairing your board reminded me how good it is. Big smile

But I'm getting off-topic ........... Smile
noz1380 View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noz1380 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 9:32am
Received my board back today!!

Cant thank you enough.  Top bloke Top service!!
Fixer of PCB's stored in marshes!!
paulcan69 View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulcan69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 11:42am
Just wanna give another massive big up to Irongiant for fixing 2x Op Wolf boards for me.
I've only tested 1 as of yet but it's nice to finally have a working boardset again.
I'm so sure the other will be fine.

And for sorting my crazy Rainbow islands out

YOU THE MAN!!!
Long may you keep our pcb's alive
Thanks Sir!!

Big smile

Edited by paulcan69 - 24 May 2013 at 6:06pm
Jodo View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen
Space Harrier World Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jodo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2013 at 5:53pm
A huge thank you to Irongiant for fixing my Vulcan Venture PCB. I know it was anything but easy to sort but Phil did a superb job and now it's 100%.

Thanks!
IronGiant View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IronGiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2013 at 5:56pm
Thanks - it was indeed just a tad faulty (understatement of the month). It's cursed I tell you! Wink
stevebm1 View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevebm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2013 at 5:33pm
big thanks to phil for sorting out the video issue on my op thunderbolt,quick turnaround tooThumbs Up
==wanted:vector pinball plastics
==
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic