Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > Computing & Online Gaming
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ram upgrade help!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Patrol

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBadWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ram upgrade help!
    Posted: 05 March 2017 at 7:48pm
I want to upgrade my ram be able to play modern games like GTA5, Far Cry 4, Forza Horizon, Street Fighter 5, to name a few..
My cpu is an intel i7 950 3.06ghz socket 1366 x58, overclocked to 4.0ghz. I have a GTX 960 2gb gfx card and a ssd hard drive.
I have 6 ram slots with 3x 2gb ram sticks... they say on them they are a 6gb set (3 x 2gb)..

Details of my mobo and the ram it can take is below, just need help interpreting it!

Now the silly questions..

Please advise if I can buy 6x 4gb sticks of ram and still keep my over clock?
Which ram, 1600mhz or 2100mhz or...ideally a link please?
Is 24gb overkill..maybe adding another 3x 2gb sticks bringing my total to 12gb would be enough?
I can buy 3x 2gb strips same as above and put them in the remaining 3 sockets and keep the overclock, simple as that?
Can I use 6 ram sticks with mixed sizes (like 3x2gbs and 3x 4gbs)?

Thanks for any advice? I'm just a little unsure and don't want to buy the wrong shit..

Current ram

Corsair XMS3 1600mhz 6gb (3x 2gb).

Mobo..

Gigabyte GA-X58-USB3

• Supports new generation Intel 32nm 6-core processors
  • Ultra Durable 3 Technology with copper cooled quality for lower working temperature
  • Supports newest NEC SuperSpeed USB 3.0 with superfast transfer rates of up to 5 Gbps
  • 3X USB power delivery for greater compatibility and extra power for USB devices
  • Supports the newest Intel Core i 7 processors in socket LGA1366 with QPI 6.4 GT/s
  • Revolution energy saving design with DES 2 featuring hardware based Dynamic 6-Gear switching
  • Supports 3 channel DDR3 2100+ memory
  • Scalable ability to both multi-way CrossFireX and SLI support for ultimate graphics performance
  • Unique hardware control IC to provide more precision voltage control
  • 100% 50,000 hour lifespan Japanese solid capacitors design
  • Patented DualBIOS with dual hardware BIOS protection
  • Supports Dolby Home Theater audio to create a stunning surround sound listening experience
  • Blu-ray playback outputs supported by high quality 108dB SNR ALC889 HD audio
  • Compatible with Window 7 to deliver the best operation experience
  • Meet European Union ErP(Energy-related Products) requirement

1. 6 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 24 GB of system memory (Note 1)
  2. Dual/3 channel memory architecture
  3. Support for DDR3 2200/1333/1066/800 MHz memory modules
  4. Support for non-ECC memory modules
  5. Support for Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) memory modules
(Note 1) Due to Windows 32-bit operating system limitation, when more than 4 GB of physical memory is installed, the actual memory size displayed will be less than 4 GB.

Edited by BigBadWolf - 05 March 2017 at 7:51pm
JAMMA+
***Sorry.. I have no fcuks left to give!
BigBadWolf View Drop Down
Forum Patrol

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBadWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2017 at 8:09pm
The manual for my mobo says it can take this type of ram..

I note it says for some types of ram you can use only 3 pcs, some you can use 6pcs. 

Where is my current ram on this list and can I add more of the same? 

Thanks!

JAMMA+
Forum Patrol

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBadWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2017 at 8:44pm

Found this info..

One of the highlights of the X58-USB3 motherboard is the presence of six memory sockets, and not only four. This allows you to make future memory upgrades without having to remove your current memory modules and, at the same time, to keep the maximum performance possible.

Just to clarify, in order to achieve the maximum performance you have to install three or six memory modules. If you install three memory modules you have to use sockets with the same color. If you install a different number of memory modules the system won’t achieve its maximum possible performance.

On motherboards with only four memory sockets you have a problem: if you add a fourth memory module this module will be accessed at single-channel performance (1/3 of the maximum transfer rate), so for you to add more memory keeping the maximum performance you have to remove your old three modules and install new ones. This upgrade is more expensive than using a motherboard with six sockets, where you can simply add three more modules and keep your old modules installed.

Since currently DDR3 memory modules can be found in capacities up to 4 GB, you can have up to 24 GB with this motherboard, if you use six 4 GB modules.

The first, third, and fifth sockets are white, while the second, fourth, and sixth are blue. In order to achieve the maximum performance you should install three or six memory modules in order to enable triple-channel architecture. When only three modules are used, install them in the white sockets, otherwise your computer won’t turn on.Read more at http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/gigabyte-x58-usb3-motherboard/3/#I7jzCDLz9mq7u7eY.99

My question now.. can I add 3x 4gb sticks along side the current 3x 2gb sticks? (for a total of 18gb), or will I need all rams to be the same size?

JAMMA+
Forum Patrol

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBadWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2017 at 9:30pm
ok.. so I have read that I can put different sizes in each set of channel.. Currently have 3x 2gb modules (total 6gb) in the white bank of channels, I am going to try add 3x 4gb modules for a total of 18gb.

I will put the 4gb modules in the white slots and put the 2gb modules into the currently empty blue slots.

Does I speak sense or sh1te?

This the ram I intend to buy..

Will this fit my pc ok? I note my current ram is 1.65v and the 4gb above is 1.5v..?

Thanks for all help! (lol).. 

Edited by BigBadWolf - 05 March 2017 at 9:32pm
JAMMA+
WendyLong View Drop Down
Insert Coin
Insert Coin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WendyLong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2017 at 10:50am
If you're planning to upgrade your PC to Windows Vista, you can still get away with 1GB, but for a more comfortable experience, we recommend 2GB of RAM. To add more RAM you'll need an antistatic wrist strap for grounding yourself. Your local computer store should have one for less than $15.
DRSEire View Drop Down
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DRSEire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2017 at 12:48pm
Make sure and research it well. I have had problems using those XMS3 modules in the past. Some do not like to work together. Installing is a breeze.
robin_l View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robin_l Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2017 at 4:52pm
Go to http://uk.crucial.com/ and click on Download the scanner
It will tell you what will be compatible
Forum Patrol

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBadWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2017 at 9:08pm
cheers folks.. old thread though.. I solved this a while ago.. now have 18gb of ram.
JAMMA+
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic