Forum Home Forum Home > Start Here > New Members Start Here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Big Hello from West Yorkshire, UK

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TotalMoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Big Hello from West Yorkshire, UK
    Posted: 09 February 2017 at 9:32pm
Where do you start with these things.. it's like talking to an answerphone LOL

I'm heavily into retro gaming owning many retro machines which I've owned from new mostly.
Very much a fan of my PC Engine Duo-R, Dreamcast, Saturn and my latest addition, a Neo Geo AES.
I've collected quite a few games and addons for the many systems I have over the years but I am no collector. I'm a gamer. These machines get used as they were intended Smile

I'm stepping into the unknown as I type as I'm awaiting the delivery of my first Arcade Cabinet and I'm researching all I can on the subject. It's a Bar-Top but I fully intend to use arcade boards I pick up along the way.

I'm not afraid of a soldering iron and will tackle most things, like recently upgrading an Atari ST and installing a UniBios in my Neo Geo.

Thanks for having me here and I look forward to your help and advice... and any I can offer in return.

Thanks
Del Griffith View Drop Down
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Del Griffith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2017 at 9:49pm
Welcome, Ahh the good old Atari st, I put some hours in on mine in my childhood years IK+!! Nice to hear you play the games an not just polishing them 🙂
dh2005 View Drop Down
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dh2005 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2017 at 7:47am
Did somebody say Atari ST...?!

Christmas Day, 1989. The Atari 520STE Power Pack. I was 10 years old. Never before nor since have I been given a better present.

West Yorkshire, eh? I'm just on the other side of the Pennines. I'll be heading over to Ripponden next weekend for a course...

... but I digress: looking forward to discussing such things further with you all!

DH.

Be gentle with me - I've been hurt before...
iddod View Drop Down
High Score
High Score

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iddod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2017 at 11:01pm
ah, atari st...
very useful computers...
i own 3 of them...
i use them to keep my boxes of amigas off the floor in my cellar, in case i ever have a flood...Hug

which bit of W.Yorks are you from? you planning on going to Play Expo in Leeds?
bobbi iddod
poppi iqqoq
Brettster View Drop Down
Patreon
Patreon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brettster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2017 at 11:18pm
Welcome and is your bartop Jamma wired? most of the ones I've seen use an LCD screen which is not usually compatible with Jamma PCB's so there's no wiring for it :(

Looking for a Daytona, Sega Rally cab
TotalMoop View Drop Down
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TotalMoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2017 at 6:51am
@iddod. Haha. I'm an Amiga fan also. I have a A1200 I purchased from new. I was not aware of the expo. You got details?

@Brettster. The cab is custom built so I've requested the jamma harness be left complete and I also got an Ega/cga to vga board which connects direct to the rgbs connector in the harness. Should solve that issue. I also spec'd a low res panel which the board will drive natively. I've seen them in action and it looks sweet.
dh2005 View Drop Down
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dh2005 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2017 at 7:54am
Originally posted by iddod iddod wrote:

ah, atari st...
very useful computers...
i own 3 of them...
i use them to keep my boxes of amigas off the floor in my cellar, in case i ever have a flood...Hug

Oh, please let's resurrect the ST vs. Amiga feud. You and me.

I'll start:

"Yeah, well, y'know, like, 'Amiga' means 'girlfriend' in, like, Mexican-or-something. Your computer is your girlfriend. Which makes you gay! Or something...".

Pretty sure I said that to someone once. About 27 years ago.

Edited by dh2005 - 14 February 2017 at 7:59am
Thefro9 View Drop Down
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thefro9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2017 at 8:14am
Hah! You've got an Atari st D!

Sorry had to.

Hi from Huddersfield.
Love 80's 90's games and big Neo Geo fan.
Carl
dh2005 View Drop Down
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dh2005 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2017 at 8:58am
Nice work.
Brettster View Drop Down
Patreon
Patreon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brettster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2017 at 12:59pm
sounds like you got your cab setup right
but if you like it you'll end up wanting a CRT based cab!!

the Expo is on this Saturday at the Marriott hotel in Leeds
http://retrogamesfair.com/location/
I'll be going to check it out
and see how outrageous prices have got

Edited by Brettster - 14 February 2017 at 1:00pm
Looking for a Daytona, Sega Rally cab
iddod View Drop Down
High Score
High Score

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iddod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2017 at 7:04pm
erm, nope... that's steve's event at the marriott...
the expo is at elland road in april.. Thumbs Up
http://playexpoleeds.com/

also, dh2005... best amiga / st fight ever! LOL
bobbi iddod
poppi iqqoq
TotalMoop View Drop Down
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TotalMoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2017 at 10:06pm
I can play the Atari ST / Amiga feud.. 
AMIGA RULZ... Big smile

Atari ST is up for sale.. not sure if people are interested in ST's much these days?
Dont fancy sticking it on the-bay.. 
TotalMoop View Drop Down
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TotalMoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2017 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by Brettster Brettster wrote:

sounds like you got your cab setup right
but if you like it you'll end up wanting a CRT based cab!!

Yea.. I did a lot of research before committing to buying it. I looked into full size cabs but to be honest, I really don't like many of the CRT cabs which were available. I chose this as it'll fit nice where I have a space for it... It's ideal for the kids to play on with their mates... and it keeps me out of trouble finding other boards.. MVS is already sourced.

Not like it'd be a big deal to retro-fit a scart cable connection to the back of the cab to the 21" Sony CRT TV I have for all my other retro gear :)
dh2005 View Drop Down
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dh2005 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2017 at 7:56am
Yeah, I have a similar thinking at present - in terms of space, wanting more choice over the cab, and not wanting to invite disaster by giving myself another expensive habit.

Where did you order your cab from, mate? Any links/pictures?

Oh, and, as for the Atari ST... don't tempt me. The girlfriend's just about got her head around my 'problem' with vintage Nintendo consoles - if I start expanding into a new line of retro hardware, she'll leave me. I only got away with buying a BBC Model B last year because it was a birthday present for my father.

Edited by dh2005 - 15 February 2017 at 8:16am
TotalMoop View Drop Down
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TotalMoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2017 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by dh2005 dh2005 wrote:

Yeah, I have a similar thinking at present - in terms of space, wanting more choice over the cab, and not wanting to invite disaster by giving myself another expensive habit.

Where did you order your cab from, mate? Any links/pictures?

I have ordered if from this guy...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262774957686?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I watched a couple of videos he's posted and asked quite an annoying amount of questions and he was very responsive and happy to help. This put my mind at rest with ordering from him.
He was very understanding about me wanting the leave the Jamma loom complete too.. He asked why and I explained what I was planning.. he was fine with that and agreed to help out as much as possible.. even trying to move stuff in back of cab to allow space for other PCB's etc.. 

I um'd n ar'd over building my own but even getting the kits imported for cheap it still worked out better to buy from him, plus getting suitable artwork seemed quite a pain. I didnt want a basic, mono painted cab. I wanted it to look the part.. He has loads of choices you can select. 

Just waiting for it to be delivered now.. I'll post pix when it arrives :)
Del Griffith View Drop Down
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Del Griffith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2017 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by iddod iddod wrote:

ah, atari st...
very useful computers...
i own 3 of them...

which bit of W.Yorks are you from? you planning on going to Play Expo in Leeds?

Hahahah ahhhh some things never change even nearly 30 years later, It was a friendship breaker at school.
dh2005 View Drop Down
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dh2005 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2017 at 8:20pm
Del: yeah, it really was! And sometimes the opposite - in that you'd become friends with people you wouldn't normally bother with, because of which side of the line they were on! Ah, memories...

TM: Hah! Remarkable that we should be talking to the same chap at the same time! I've been attracted to his £399.99, Pandora's Box 4S build. I've sent him a few questions today, and he has indeed been extremely helpful.

When's yours due, mate? I'm looking to order one at the beginning of April (assuming I pass my final exam...), so a bit of recon from you about whether or not you're happy with it would be much appreciated.
TotalMoop View Drop Down
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TotalMoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2017 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by dh2005 dh2005 wrote:

Hah! Remarkable that we should be talking to the same chap at the same time! I've been attracted to his £399.99, Pandora's Box 4S build. I've sent him a few questions today, and he has indeed been extremely helpful.

When's yours due, mate? I'm looking to order one at the beginning of April (assuming I pass my final exam...), so a bit of recon from you about whether or not you're happy with it would be much appreciated.

I was chatting with Rod earlier today. He says it'll be sent early next week.

I've ordered the PB-4 (not s) The additional games on there were not really what I was after (exception of Magician Lord) so I took the £50 saving and got a Pandora's Box X and a cga/ega to VGA board from china.. I have both here.. I'll make more use of those than 34 extra games I'll not play.

I got the PB-X as it's a hacked PB-3 which is more customisable and you can poke n play with roms and change them around or replace them. The PB-4/4s appear to have some encryption which wont allow for easy haxxoring at the moment Smile

In his original videos, he states he is using LG panels. The new 20" ones which he advertises now are AOC panels. 
The LG (19") has a native resolution of 1366x768 (which is basically 720p) which both the VGA board and the Pandora's support natively.
The AOC (20") are 1600x900 so there would be stretching which being picky about stuff like that would have rotted my mind Disapprove 
So.. I asked about the LG's and he said he had a couple of LG panels left so I opted for the LG. 
One inch over the diagonal on a 16:9 screen is about .5" smaller.. I ain't gonna lose sleep over that. I'd rather have the crisp image. (plus I've dealt with AOC panels before.. Pixel death is an issue over time)
Also the fact that the VGA board has component input so I have the option of sticking an old xbox or PS2 in there and having native 720p resolution on those too :)

I've thought it through quite a bit so it'll last me, I didnt want to half-arse it LOL

As for Recon, not an issue.. I'll maybe create a thread of my experience with it. Might help Rod out too... never know. Thumbs Up
dh2005 View Drop Down
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dh2005 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2017 at 7:09am
I've been guilty of committing to a cabinet without thinking about it fully, in the past. I don't want to do that again.

So, the ROMsets are (potentially) customisable on these multi-game boards, are they? Interesting... to what extent are the ROMsets audited and tested? I ask because my previous Hyperspin experience/farce/catastrophe/pick-a-word was dogged by thousands of incomplete/broken ROMs, and I briefly began looking into repairing them... but then real life intervened, and I didn't have time.

As for the panel - yeah, that would get on my nerves, too. Something for me to think about.

I'd appreciate some photos/videos of the beast when it comes, please. If opening it is feasible (and only if you want to, you understand...), I'd love to see what the guts are like - and how much room there would be for putting a different board/mini-PC inside of it, if I were minded to later on.

Thanks again, pal.

TotalMoop View Drop Down
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TotalMoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2017 at 8:22am
Not a problem. It'll be opened before it's switched on. I want to be sure it's survived the courier before firing it up.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic