Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade Technical and Restoration > Reproduction Parts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SuperGun

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
High Score
High Score

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davey D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SuperGun
    Posted: 18 January 2017 at 6:07pm
Ive fancied making one for a while now. The hardest part is designing something that will look good, function as required, and be easy enough to manufacture.

It took a while, but i finally came up with a design which i was happy with. I drew it up in solidworks, and then sent off for laser cutting.

I ordered the wiring/internals a few weeks ago and has been sitting here ready, but i finally got the profiles back today so i set to bending them to shape, and tig welding up the corners.

My idea is to be able to use control panels from sega cabinets. I know there is another supergun out there that does the same and thought it was a nice idea to be able to easily customise with the looks you wanted, so i got a load of HOT2005 layout panels cut from 304 stainless. The box is mild steel and will be powdercoated in RAL9002 like sega cabinets

Ive ordered enough to make 4x supergun housing (2 are spoken for) so 2 will be up for sale at some point, and if there is interest then i can get a load more made up.

If there is demand, then idea is to make a "BareBones" system to keep the price down so the owner can put their choice of control panel/sticks/buttons as i know quite a few people have spare control panels already.

I'll post more pics as i make progress Wink
shumps View Drop Down
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shumps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2017 at 7:16pm
Nice Big smile
seanr28 View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanr28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2017 at 9:04pm
i would be interested in as well please, what sort of money would i be looking at please?
marach View Drop Down
High Score
High Score

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2017 at 9:13pm
very nice how much were the housings?
Davey D View Drop Down
High Score
High Score

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davey D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2017 at 9:14pm
So far I've got all the costs for materials/parts but I don't know my labour costs until I've completed a few. I need to get a quote for powder coating too.

I'm open to different options too e.g

1) Just the case - so you can fit your own parts
2) Fully wired and setup case with no control panel/sticks/buttons
3) Complete ready to go. Just plug and play
marach View Drop Down
High Score
High Score

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2017 at 9:20pm
I think just a case would be nice the clunkyness of project boxes etc are off putting to  some people.
seanr28 View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanr28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2017 at 8:57pm
just the case for me:)
Davey D View Drop Down
High Score
High Score

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davey D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2017 at 10:22am
All the cases have been folded to shape. Just need to weld up the corners, drill some holes, fit the hinges, then they are ready for powdercoat. At this point i will know what price they are going to be

I made some stainless mounts to hold the PSU as well (shown in photo)

Here is the genuine sega overlay fitted to the HOT2005 replica. Perfect fit :-)

channel27 View Drop Down
High Score
High Score

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote channel27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2017 at 11:04am
Very, very, very, nice.
I'll be up for a case with a HOT2005 panel Big smile

Wanted
Tekken: 3, 5DR, 5.1, 6, 6BR, TTT2
Virtua Fighter: 2.1, 3TB, 4, 5
Any working / faulty Sega Model 1/2/3 boards
phillv85 View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phillv85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2017 at 3:33am
I'm interested in a case with or without a panel. If you're selling any let me know Smile
Davey D View Drop Down
High Score
High Score

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davey D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2017 at 1:06pm
I haven't had much chance to get these finished yet, but should do in the next week or 2.

In the mean time i managed to obtain a genuine CQN-2004 astro city overlay.

I tried one up against a HOT2005 and they are different so i modified my drawing to get a test panel made for the astro city overlays

Overlay with HOT2005:

New panel to fit CQN2004 overlay. Perfect fit ( the difference around the 1p/ 2p button is because the overlay isnt sat flat on the panel, so its just the angle of the picture)

HOT2005 vs CQN2004

Left/right all the holes are the same. On the HOT2005 panel sega decided to move the joystick, and action buttons down slightly, and add the little cutout at the top. The 1P/2P start are exactly the same location.

I know for certain that HOT2005 panel is used on: Naomi, NC, NNC, and the Generic panel show above.

I will have around 5 HOT2005 panels coming up for sale, and i can always get some CQN2004 panels made up if there is demand. Once they are ready there will be a for sale thread for them

Davey D View Drop Down
High Score
High Score

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davey D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2017 at 12:17pm
Ive had a lot of other Big projects on, so haven't had the time to devote to these, but now im back on them again. Now i know whats is needed I'll put some prices together to see if anyone is interested in one?

This one is almost finished. Just need to wire in the button 5+6 for both players, and need to pick up a small amp so i can wire in the stereo phono, and headphone port.

Ive had the first 2 powdercoated in Metallic silver. Im thinking about getting the other 2 done in RAL9002 like Sega cabinets

This is how the first one is looking so far:

On the right hand side there is:  Jamma connector, Kick harness connector, 2x Phono and Headphone jack (currently not fitted)

On the back there is:  Power in with fuse holder and On/Off switch, USB for connecting to PC as arcade stick, 2x VGA out and 1x RGB out

All the voltages and connections have been checked, and everything looks good to go

The gonbes upscaler powers up fine, and i can access the Menus when plugged into a vga monitor. Just need to plug in a Jamma game now to test it works Big smile

Ive done this version with everything inside, thus there is more wiring, but a simpler version could be done without the IPAC, amplifier, or speakers

Im going to make a sample unit that is JUST for use as an arcade stick so it will be much thinner, and lighter as it wont have all the bits inside like this one. It will still use the Sega style control panels though, so you can fit your choice of designWink

penrhos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penrhos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2017 at 2:45pm
Looks good.

You could do them with a Pandora built in....

There is a slight design flaw, you cannot access the +5V adjustment pot on the PSU.

The PANA gets round this by using a more compact JAMMA PSU and mounting it front-back roughly where the start buttons are located. On the Vega the psu is in the corner so the pot is accessible.

Cabs : 2 * Leisure 2000, 2 * Euro 25, 1 * Vewlix, 1 * Sega Rally 3.
trev1976 View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trev1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2017 at 7:37pm
That looks really professional.

Will you ever be doing one without CP ? So you can plug your own sticks in ?
marach View Drop Down
High Score
High Score

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2017 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by penrhos penrhos wrote:

Looks good.

There is a slight design flaw, you cannot access the +5V adjustment pot on the PSU.

The PANA gets round this by using a more compact JAMMA PSU and mounting it front-back roughly where the start buttons are located. On the Vega the psu is in the corner so the pot is accessible.

I'd just move that one closer to the edge (making sure to put a nice rubber pad there) and add an insulated tube and captive bolt lined up to turn the +5...

Davey D View Drop Down
High Score
High Score

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davey D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2017 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by penrhos penrhos wrote:

Looks good.

It is something I pondered long and hard about.  I didn't want the power terminals right at the outside of the case,  and wasn't keen on poking a long screwdriver through a hole in the casing as as the power terminals are very close to the adjuster. One wrong poke with a metal screwdriver could end in tears. I did think about wiring in a remote potentiometer,  but really didn't want to mess with the psu. In the end I decided that I'll set the psu to a safe level, and only adjust if need be.  All 3 of my astro city are setup around 5.05v at the jamma edge and I've never had a game not work. 
Davey D View Drop Down
High Score
High Score

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davey D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2017 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by trev1976 trev1976 wrote:

That looks really professional.

Will you ever be doing one without CP ? So you can plug your own sticks in ?

Yes my initial thought for these is selling them as a bare bones case so you can fit all your own components including control panel and wire it up yourself
Davey D View Drop Down
High Score
High Score

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davey D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2018 at 11:58am
So I finally got the supergun up and running to give it a good testing early December.

I ended up wiring in an extension for a remote pot for the 5v adjust. I opened up the PSU, desoldered the 1k pot from the pcb, soldered in 3  extension wireswires, and then soldered in a new hole mount 1kpot fixing it through a hole i was going to use for the headphone jack. works perfect!

I have used one of the cheap chinese looms + extensions in this supergun, as I wanted to test out the performance to prove that people should upgrade the wiring for the power section.

The first PCB i tested with was a bootleg SF2CE. The bootleg boards tend to be power hungry due to the amount of chips on the PCB.

length wise there is total of around 1200mm of wire ( around 400mm inside supergun + 800mm extension harness)

The max i could get voltage wise on the jamma edge was 4.4v and the game wouldnt boot!
So I upgraded the +5v +12v and ground cables inside the supergun to 1mm and retried. 
This time i was maxing out at 4.65v but the game booted up ok.
Finally i upgraded the cables in the extension loom to the same 1mm cable and retired. I was now able to get 5v without maxing out the supply!

Ive tried loads of different PCBs:  PGM, NeoGeo, CPS2, Psikyo, Konami, GNet. Everything except the Gnet worked. It was booting, but playing blind, so im presuming there is a sync issue with that motherboard and the Gonbes upscaler?

I'll be putting up a for sale thread next week listing some of the items ive been working on, and ideas for other bits im looking to make if there is interest.

Pics of the system up and running - The monitor rotates on a nice brushed stainless rotating stand ive also made Wink

copados33 View Drop Down
Insert Coin
Insert Coin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote copados33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2018 at 11:31am
Those look great, your work is amazing, I'm in for one case....if you decide to sell
Davey D View Drop Down
High Score
High Score

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davey D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2018 at 11:53am
Yes they will definitely be coming up for sale. Been busy working on other arcade/pinball projects that will be for sale too, so watch this space for the parts
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic