Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade Technical and Restoration > Repair Logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dino King Jamma Conversion Stuff

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by keyamon keyamon wrote:

very nice.. lucky all your artwork comes away. I got a love&berry and the artwork was printed onto the bezel. 

Ah I never realised that. I guess that's the price you pay for funky speaker holes above the monitor though, which I would love to have eventually (I would have to get my own bezel made/manufactured)
Wanted:
- PCBs: Rainbow Islands, Bomb Jack, Rolling Thunder
- Parts: Naomi non-swivel castor wheel, coin mech metal clip for Dino King Door
- House Extension
uberpixel View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uberpixel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 5:39pm
Awesome to see your cab over the weekend. Definitely looked the part. (And I'm still in the market for one too!) :)

Flinnster View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 6:55pm
Glad you enjoyed it! Did I manage to speak to you during the weekend? (too many new faces Tongue)
Wanted:
- House Extension
Flinnster View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2017 at 11:15pm
Seems I did after all Wink

I don't seem to have had much chance to get hands on with cabs since Revival, which flew by as a complete blur.
Hello to everyone I met up with and happilly geeked out on arcade and retro stuff with for the whole weekend  Beer

Unfortunately the Pang cab didn't make it (last minute logistics!) but Wonder Boy went down well, many not realising
the artwork was all custom designed, which was cool - means I did the job well enough!

My attention has turned to the hot-swapping of control panels - I have some more metal panels coming from afar at the end of next month so I'm getting all my bits and pieces together for these.
Firstly I grabbed some cheap Sanwa sticks and gave them a good refurb scrub / bubble bath and sunbathe.
With a couple of new ball tops they came out really nicely I think - just gotta get some connecting cables and dust washers for those now.

Then I worked out a plan for wiring the pins on the JST connectors, that sit in the metal panel behind the CP.
Looks like I can cram everything for all the various combos of 1 & 2 player panels onto a single 21-pin connector, which is ace:

Next up I think I need to go shopping for a crimp tool, as I'll probably be crimping JST pins for the next few months! Wacko
Wanted:
- House Extension
Flinnster View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2017 at 7:26pm
Well a little more progress on the swappable CP's and on one of the Dino King cabs.

I figured I should just see how it goes with the crimping, so with soldering iron and trusty cheapo pliers in hand, I lopped the perfectly working loom in two and started splicing in those damned JST pins. And yep, it took hours..

I'll be honest, after doing the top row of pins I'd probably had enough of all the cutting, tinning, crimping and checking of connections!
I only made the mistake of putting a pin in the wrong portion of the connector once thankfully - and yep, it's still ruddy annoying extracting those pins when you get it wrong!

But hey, it was well worth it in the end - one completely hot-swappable 2 player CP, and one cab loom completely ready to accept JST-connector'd panels now.
The 2nd connector is purely for the earth connection, and it's re-used from the existing Dino cab stuff:

After that I did the second MDF base panel mount for the JAMMA switching PSU, freeing up the front base of the cab for a MVS mobo.
Next up will be the service panel mod onto the lower shelf so the top one is 100% free for larger game boards.

Wanted:
- House Extension
Flinnster View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2017 at 2:16am
Had a bit of an experiment today, to see if I can minimise the service panel in the Dino King cabs even further. I settled on a location on the left of the cab, above the coin box.

With some chopping down of the service panel metal and drilling a few holes so fixing bolts can be attached, I can sneak it into place under the upper shelf support, attached to the side cab metalwork.
I should be able to keep both shelves free for larger game boards up top, an MVS mobo in the middle, and space at the bottom for something else like smaller PCBs or a Pi-JAMMA kit.

I have a couple of issues though... to fit the service panel here means I have to cut off the right hand side beyond the sticker & service button. This means I lop off the current support 'foot' for the panel - once done, it can never be used horizontally ever again Confused

Also does the service panel have to be electrically isolated from the cabinet metal? It was originally on an MDF shelf and has 100V+ going through it for the monitor deguass + power switches. But the panel itself is fully earthed, and was originally bolted to all manner of internal metal plating that separated the ticket dispenser area from the game boards and transformer, and was connected to the cabinet metal anyway.

Hmmm....

Edited by Flinnster - 11 June 2017 at 2:17am
Wanted:
- House Extension
toibs View Drop Down
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toibs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2017 at 6:05pm
@flinnster

Might be interested in some of the left-overs stripped out. Nothing specific in mind, and no idea on how much any of it would be worth, however I have a working DK cab with lots of Credits, so may be useful for spares just in case....

Cheers
Paul
toibs View Drop Down
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toibs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2017 at 6:06pm
oops - meant to say - Great work!
Flinnster View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2017 at 6:41pm
Hehe Smile Cheers! Wink

Edited by Flinnster - 31 July 2017 at 6:41pm
Wanted:
- House Extension
marach View Drop Down
High Score
High Score

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2017 at 7:53pm
one day I'll be able to afford one of these...
Flinnster View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2017 at 10:27am
Originally posted by toibs toibs wrote:

@flinnster

Might be interested in some of the left-overs stripped out. Nothing specific in mind, and no idea on how much any of it would be worth, however I have a working DK cab with lots of Credits, so may be useful for spares just in case....

Cheers
Paul

Yep if you need anything let me know :) I now have a full spare set of internals going unused, they are all fully working.
Wanted:
- House Extension
Flinnster View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2017 at 2:57am
Well the hot-swappable panels are now done. Seems to have taken an age to get the cab looms spliced, connectored and then do the same for the CPs. They can now be unplugged and re-connected at will for whatever game setup is required. The button colours are all a bit random for now, while I play with various theming ideas.

I now turn my attention to the 4th cab (currently with Mushi King bezel on it), which is blowing the plug fuse.. much experimentation needed to find out what it is exactly..

Wanted:
- House Extension
neil1637 View Drop Down
High Score
High Score

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neil1637 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2017 at 7:50am
Good stuff there pal. Looking forward to seeing what you do with number 4.

Please visit my Arcade Diary Blog at https://neilsarcadediary.wordpress.com/

Always looking for Cabaret Cabinets

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic