Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade Technical and Restoration > Restorations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Electrocoin Duet restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
High Score
High Score

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neil1637 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2016 at 9:21pm
@bigdon Why do you 'need' to remove the side panels? They will be very difficult to remove/replace as they will glued and dowelled in place most likely. You are more likely to do even more damage. The wood repair at the base can easily be sorted leaving the panel in situ, just put the cab on it's side.

Please visit my Arcade Diary Blog at https://neilsarcadediary.wordpress.com/

Always looking for Cabaret Cabinets

BigDon View Drop Down
Bonus Stage
Bonus Stage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2016 at 12:17am
Hi Neil, 

The main reason is that I can't fit it through my door and it would be easier to transport if it was broken down. Also the bottom piece is pretty wrecked but I'm hoping to learn a lot through this restoration so really the more work/repair required the better.  
So many wires!
BigDon View Drop Down
Bonus Stage
Bonus Stage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2016 at 12:30am
Well today went well as I got the cabinet apart with the help of a crowbar. No damage to any of the artwork. Got all the parts down to the workshop and I'll begin repairing/replacing parts as needed. 

If I learned anything today it's that this particular cabinet is made from the cheapest wood possible and it was not designed with a teardown in mind!

I'll need to reassemble the cabinet in my flat as it doesn't fit through my front door and one day I'll have to take it apart again when I move so I'll consider these thigns when I'm rebuilding it so deconstructing it isn't as damaging a process as the one today was. 

It was really cool seeing how it was built though and I'm looking forward to finally getting to work on it.

So many wires!
Flinnster View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2016 at 12:34am
Owch, that looks painful.
Wanted:
- PCBs: Rainbow Islands, Bomb Jack, Rolling Thunder
- Parts: Naomi non-swivel castor wheel, coin mech metal clip for Dino King Door
- House Extension
BigDon View Drop Down
Bonus Stage
Bonus Stage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2016 at 12:51am
It was quite the challenge, it'll be worth it when it's finished though. I'm going to learn about most aspects of the process through this project.
So many wires!
BigDon View Drop Down
Bonus Stage
Bonus Stage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2016 at 2:13am
Had a nice evening building an extension to the bench to sit this massive CRT. Got a start made on the side panels too. This will be quite rinse and repeat so I'll not bother posting more until I'm done wood filling and sanding.

So many wires!
BigDon View Drop Down
Bonus Stage
Bonus Stage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2016 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by BigDon BigDon wrote:

Originally posted by muddymusic muddymusic wrote:

Originally posted by damagestar damagestar wrote:

I think muddymusic has the art for the cpo.

I do indeed :)
http://www.arcadeartshop.com/product/electrocoin-duet-control-panel-overlay-gloss/

Nice to see one of these getting restored, many have been trashed due to their size. I remember playing Street Fighter 2 CE on one of these and it was a real centrepiece in the arcade with a big crowd around it all day.

Thanks for the link that's great news! I did however convince my girlfriend that this was smaller than my electrocoin xenon due to the fact it's a sit down cabinet, starting to think I'm not just remembering it being big because I was a wee guy back then!

Hey dude can you put that cpo on hold for me please? I'll order it on the 25th (pay day).

Also did you recreate the side art for this cab? 
So many wires!
muddymusic View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen
Official Porchy fan club member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2016 at 8:14am
Yeah sure. I'll keep it ready for you.

I didn't get the side art done, if you have any facility to get a scanner on your side panels then I can reproduce it - only need one side scanned and happy to stitch together a load of A4 size scans if needed
Repro Arcade Artwork supplier, pm me or visit arcadeartshop.com
BigDon View Drop Down
Bonus Stage
Bonus Stage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2016 at 11:44am

I didn't get the side art done, if you have any facility to get a scanner on your side panels then I can reproduce it - only need one side scanned and happy to stitch together a load of A4 size scans if needed

Thank you so much dude.
So many wires!
BigDon View Drop Down
Bonus Stage
Bonus Stage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2016 at 10:44pm
Looking for advice on the whole painting a cab thing. What sandpaper grades, what solution for cleaning between coats, best paints etc (just gonna be using black for this). Also whats a good sealant to keep the paint from rubbing off. Stuff like that.

If anyone has any good links or advice I'd be really grateful!

So many wires!
BigDon View Drop Down
Bonus Stage
Bonus Stage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2016 at 10:48pm

Hey dude I've decided that the artwork is too wrecked looking in areas and I'm going to do a complete repaint so not going to need that CPO anymore. If you've turned down a sale because I asked you to hold on to it for me though then I will buy it anyway and sell it on myself. 

Just let me know dude.
So many wires!
Nukem View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nukem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2016 at 11:29pm

Looks like one of the Duet's I restored with a sledge hammer LOL

k1ngarth3r View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k1ngarth3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2017 at 4:26pm
How did you get on with the restore bigdon?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic