Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade Technical and Restoration > Tech, Maintenance & Repairs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Voltimeter on the harness?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote singledragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Voltimeter on the harness?
    Posted: 02 May 2016 at 2:52am
Hi,

I want to install a voltimeter on my harness, to be able to check the voltage my boards are running at, but haven't seen any tutorials for it. Is it a harness somebody is making or can I make it by myself?
thegdude View Drop Down
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thegdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2016 at 4:52am
You can make it yourself, I have seen a few adapters with voltmeter built in however the have one drawback... they don't measure where it is important that being on the game PCB itself after the harness. Most voltage issues come down to losses made over bad or worn harness to pcb connections and you wont see that measuring the voltage before that point.
Always looking for spare SEGA parts
singledragon View Drop Down
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote singledragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2016 at 8:49am
I see. Well, at least they tell you the voltage that gets to the board is proper... Any tutorial on how to make them?
big10p View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2016 at 9:32am
Pretty sure FrancoB makes pass-through adapters with digital voltage meters on them.
Flinnster View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2017 at 7:17pm
Bumping this old thread Smile I too am at a point where I'm looking for a way to see my jamma edge voltage without having to get the multimeter out every time I swap a board.

I know franco made these really nice passthroughs in the past, but now he's 'retired' from such labours Wink:

Basically I'm looking to do similar but on my jamma harness itself.
I can see all kinds of voltmeter units, some with 2 wires, others with 3 (power off two and measure the other if I understand correctly).

Just wondering if there's anything I should be looking for, or to avoid really. Is it worth monitoring 12v too? Or is 5v the only one that really matters?

Is it really as simple a case of getting one, soldering up pins 1 & 3 on the jamma edge and attaching the display to the outside of a jamma interface cover?

Any advice appreciated Smile
Wanted:
- PCBs: Rainbow Islands, Bomb Jack, Rolling Thunder
- Parts: Naomi non-swivel castor wheel, coin mech metal clip for Dino King Door
- House Extension
FrancoB View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen
Plastic Fantastic, Loom Legend.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrancoB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2017 at 8:12pm
For JAMMA the only one to be really concerned about is 5v.

For JVS the only ones to be really concerned about are 3.3v and 5v.

It doesn't hurt to be able to monitor all of them though. TBH I even monitor the AC level coming into my cabs Embarrassed

Along with those JAMMA edge connectors I used to make some JAMMA JVS, JAMMA/JVS meters that measured -5v, 3.3v, 5v and 12v depending on the model. Some also had mulimeter probes so you could use them as a multimeter and measure 5v across ICs etc.

For the JAMMA edge version you just want a two wire version that's powered from 5v and reads to two decimal places.

For the enclosed meters I had some meters custom configured in China that would read +/-19.99v and so cover all important JAMMA and JVS voltages.

For the other standalone JVS version IIRC I used a three wire version that was powered from 5v but measured 3,3v and then a two lead version for 5v.

I think I still have some of the parts I used to make them for sale [here] if they're of use to you.

It's pretty easy though as you've summed up. If you need any help just shout Smile
Flinnster View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2017 at 12:08am
Thanks yeah! If I could grab a handful of those self powered £1 jobs that would be cool Thumbs Up
(3.5-30v, blue mini)

Edited by Flinnster - 21 February 2017 at 12:09am
Wanted:
- PCBs: Rainbow Islands, Bomb Jack, Rolling Thunder
- Parts: Naomi non-swivel castor wheel, coin mech metal clip for Dino King Door
- House Extension
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic