Forum Home Forum Home > Pinball > Members Pinball Machines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Virtual Pincab build

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bonus Stage
Bonus Stage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chunksin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Virtual Pincab build
    Posted: 25 March 2016 at 2:36pm
Build started in September last year and has taken much longer than I thought, mostly due to researching, adding extra toys – it was only going to be a simple PC in a box type setup! having 2 kids and a general tendency to procrastinate didn’t help!

I’d been thinking about a pincab as a next project after building a bartop and a full size replica Donkey Kong cab. I was lucky enough to jump on a forum post advertising a widebody pincab project and after about 5 minutes it was bought. Took a day off and made an 8 hour round trip to Scotland to pick it up but it was well worth it, the cab was built by a joiner so it’s really solid, made from 18mm MDF throughout. It came with a load of extra bits, 3 screens, buttons and a set of speakers but to be honest it was a bit scrappy inside with lots of hot glue and solder and the screens had issues so I basically gutted the cab and slowly got the bits together to build it out.

Electronics wise I’ve been playing with Raspberry Pi projects for a year or two so I was fairly confident until I saw some of the wiring diagrams for the toys so the Pinball Electrical 101 guide was a godsend. I managed to blow up a LEDWiz along the way so now everything has a fuse – everything!!

My design approach was if anything needs to be replaced or moved it can be parted out simply without having to unscrew a load of stuff. Partly because I’m lazy. OK, mostly because I’m lazy. And because the whole cab interior was evolving over time it’s an approach I’m really pleased I went with but meant a lot of cable crimping, molex connectors, Velcro straps and junction boxes and around 100m of cabling. I’ve installed 2 tracks of cable management along each side and every bundle of cables is wrapped in spiral plastic to keep things tidy.

The screens are all mounted using the built in VESA holes, the main playfield screen is on 2 cross braces that sit on rails on either side and I built a wooden frame wrapped in black vinyl that sits on top to hide the TV bezel. The Siemens contactors are also on cross braces, one with the 2 flipper contactors, one for the 2 bumpers and 2 more for the remaining 2 sets of 3.

Wiring is all colour coded, red for 24v, yellow for 12v, blue for iPac and black for ground with the appropriately coloured crimp sleeve on the end. The DMD panel is held on with strong cabinet magnets as is the RGB flasher bar and has a 24pin molex for the power and LEDWiz connections. I also mounted the fuses in holders along the back of the flasher bar for easy access in case one blows.

I mounted the LEDWiz on a separate board with the LED resistors on one side and the contactor fuses on the other. The RGB flasher bar connects up via the molex and the contactors use female crimp connectors. There are 2 strobes mounted on top of the backbox that connect up via the flasher bar on another molex.

For sounds I have 2 generic 2.1 amps mounted just inside the coin door for easy access to the volume controls, one runs a large downward firing sub in the main cab and the 2 backbox Pioneer speakers and the other one runs a smaller decased 2.1 sound system for table sounds. The speakers have in line spade connectors in case the back box needs to come off for transport.

I’m now down the last few bits to tidy up and I need to order the plexiglass for the backbox and apply some Judge Dredd decals and its done, been a great project that has taken up way more time than I expected it to but I'm really happy with the end result.

Full Cab Spec:

18mm MDF Pincab shell
Williams legs and rails
Williams widebody lockdown bar and receiver
6mm playfield safety glass
Stern coin door
LG 43 inch 1080p TV for playfield
Samsung 32 inch 1080p TV for backglass
Hanns-G 17 inch widescreen monitor for DMD
iPac2 for inputs
LEDWiz for outputs
Pinscape controller for nudge and analog plunger
5 RGB LED flasher bar
2 LED strobes mounted on backbox
10 Siemens 24v contactors for force feedback
Dual 12v 2.1 amps for separate table/rom sounds

Intel i5 3470 Processor
Nvidia GTX 750 SC graphics card
250GB Samsung SSD
8GB Corsair RAM
420W Corsair PSU
Windows 7
Visual Pinball 9 and 10
Future Pinball with BAM and Kinect camera
Pinball Arcade
Pinball FX2
PinballX running around 200 tables

Pics link to follow ...

Edited by chunksin - 25 March 2016 at 4:42pm
chunksin View Drop Down
Bonus Stage
Bonus Stage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chunksin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2016 at 2:38pm
Google Drive Link

Edited by chunksin - 25 March 2016 at 4:39pm
chunksin View Drop Down
Bonus Stage
Bonus Stage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chunksin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2016 at 2:40pm
The cab was originally all black but I went all out and bought and applied some official Judge Dredd decals, the internals have been tidied up too so it looks much neater now. Will post some better gameplay pics and a video later on.
RygarR View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RygarR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2016 at 11:15pm
Woo hoo! That is amazing. Being a big Dredd fan from way back when, however, I'm possibly a bit biased... Seriously though, very well done!
Hitesh View Drop Down
High Score
High Score

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hitesh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2016 at 6:43am
woop!
Stunna!

Well done. I'd like to give this a go one day....... when I have finished other projects.

Can you post a video of the machine in action?
chunksin View Drop Down
Bonus Stage
Bonus Stage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chunksin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2016 at 10:44am
Thanks guys! Bit busy this weekend but will get a vid up as soon as I can. This will be up for sale soon as I need to free up some funds and make space in my garage, if anyone is interested drop me a PM.

Cheers,
Rich
Maniac View Drop Down
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2016 at 11:04pm
That looks really cool mate, nice work

what kind of money we talking to buy it?
“So long, and thanks for all the fish.”
chunksin View Drop Down
Bonus Stage
Bonus Stage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chunksin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2016 at 11:27pm
It'll be around 1500, these aren't cheap to build!
Maniac View Drop Down
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2016 at 8:12am
ok mate, sounds good - message me when you are ready and we can negotiate ;)

Thank you
chunksin View Drop Down
Bonus Stage
Bonus Stage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chunksin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2016 at 10:01am
Will do, thanks. Speaker panel is getting a repaint, found a sneaky hair under the paint! Vid to follow when it's back together.
Maniac View Drop Down
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2016 at 9:36pm
Awesome :)

I will drop you a message just so you have my details :)
chunksin View Drop Down
Bonus Stage
Bonus Stage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chunksin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2016 at 1:46pm
Google pics link updated with more internal shots and a gameplay vid
TheChugnut View Drop Down
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheChugnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2016 at 10:49pm
This is a really cool build. Have you had a chance to fit the decals?
chunksin View Drop Down
Bonus Stage
Bonus Stage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chunksin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2016 at 12:15am
Thanks, check the Google Drive link in the post above, the decals made it onto the cab after 6 rather tense hours! Cab is sold now unfortunately, great experience to build one though, will definitely be doing another
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic