Forum Home Forum Home > General Arcade Chat > Arcade - General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rise of the Robots Coin-Op?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archminion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rise of the Robots Coin-Op?
    Posted: 13 February 2016 at 8:50am
Does anyone know any solid info about this rare prototype arcade machine?
I know there are rumours of at least 3 cabinets still in existence and Ordyne over at mameworld definitely has one.

He's managed to glean some info but sadly his machine is non working for now.

Would love to know if anyone here has any parts from one of these machines or if they've ever seen one in an arcade?

There was actually talk of 200 units produced which in my opinion would sound more like a small production run than a field test.

Any info would be appreciated cheers

Bods View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen
Ninja Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2016 at 10:10am
http://www.arcade-history.com/?n=rise-of-the-robots&page=detail&id=26829

It was a poor PC game to me

End of the day, I wanted to play Virtua Fighter, I bought a game for the PC which was an early 3D fighting game, I can't remember what it was called, I also had this and thought it was pretty naff

So from that site, Bell Fruit tried to get in on the action in video games and failed, wonder what PC was used, probably something from one of there quiz machines or similar like used in Arcade Classics

It was a poor PC game that could never compete with Sega and should of been left there

If that was an machine they made, it is just a jamma cab of some sort with some artwork

Never seen one anywhere but likely to be in UK

Edited by Bods - 13 February 2016 at 10:11am
WANTED! Buggy Boy Junior Rear Seat. Continental Circus Cockpit Lower Rear Marquee. Electrocoin Rampage Marquee
Archminion View Drop Down
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archminion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2016 at 1:43am
Thanks for the reply Bods.
And sorry for my late response.

It would be an interesting machine to own just because of the hype and drama surrounding the original release and it's many many versions.
Bods View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen
Ninja Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2016 at 9:52am
No problem, everyone to there own matey

I guess if you played this before playing any later arcade fighting stuff, then you would be happy

So there is a board and roms floating about then https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYrYh--KXCA

486 PC 33mhz 4mb ram, pretty much the spec of my first pc I built, SCSI HDD

So if you had the software, you could run the game on an old pc setup

Don't remember anyone saying they have seen machine or board, but keep searching, one of the Bitmap brothers leading the team behind it then
WANTED! Buggy Boy Junior Rear Seat. Continental Circus Cockpit Lower Rear Marquee. Electrocoin Rampage Marquee
Bods View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen
Ninja Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2016 at 10:02am
well here are some anwers matey

Ordyne here? shame they dumped all the stuff, as I suspected, the board is something they must of used in other machines, not standard pcb
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archminion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2016 at 2:38pm
Thanks for the reponse Bods.

Just sent you a PM, cheers mate :)

I'd love to own that cab someday...
Bods View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen
Ninja Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2016 at 6:08pm
No worries, interesting matey

When I said I wanted to play Virtua Fighter at home, it was FX Fighter I was reduced to playing, it was the only 3D Fighting game at the time for PC I think

gunblade View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunblade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2016 at 7:13pm
mpu was called a rasterspeed,used on only 3 machines-one was a footy game and the other was a pinball type game
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archminion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2016 at 7:22pm
Didn't the rare Zool cab also use Rasterspeed?

What was the name of the pinball game please?

I know the footy one is Football Crazy

Cheers
gunblade View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunblade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2016 at 9:57pm
i worked on the pinball game,i know a company that has two on site still-the game itself caused bellfruit alot of problems,some kind of copyright issue

see if i can remember the name of the machine,its been a while

BBZ149 View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBZ149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2016 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by Bods Bods wrote:

http://www.arcade-history.com/?n=rise-of-the-robots&page=detail&id=26829

It was a poor PC game to me

End of the day, I wanted to play Virtua Fighter, I bought a game for the PC which was an early 3D fighting game, I can't remember what it was called, I also had this and thought it was pretty naff

So from that site, Bell Fruit tried to get in on the action in video games and failed, wonder what PC was used, probably something from one of there quiz machines or similar like used in Arcade Classics

It was a poor PC game that could never compete with Sega and should of been left there

If that was an machine they made, it is just a jamma cab of some sort with some artwork

Never seen one anywhere but likely to be in UK
I rem buying that BITD for the PC Big smile Yeah it was crap!! http://www.giantbomb.com/rise-of-the-robots/3030-9847/

Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archminion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2016 at 3:19pm
Quick question to Gunblade if it's ok: Did you have any input (or info really) about the Bellfruit Zool cabinet as well as Rise?

Cheers
gunblade View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunblade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2016 at 3:38pm
i only worked on the pinball game called wiggle,if you contact bellfruit they will deny all knowledge of the machine
the cabinets were virtually identical to the top of the pops swp cab,wg k7000 monitor was used i remember that
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archminion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2016 at 3:41pm
Thanks for the info mate
Rog69 View Drop Down
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rog69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2016 at 10:35am
I used to work as a field tech for a company called Paymaster back in the 90's, they were part of Bass back then and operated all of the coin op stuff for them.

We actually had a Zool prototype that I installed in the UCI cinema in Solihull, and I am pretty sure that we also tried it in a couple of other locations around Birmingham and Coventry later on, but my memory is a little hazy.

I don't remember too much about it other than its white cabinet and the gameplay being a little different to the Amiga version (I was an Amiga nut back then so I had that to compare to). I don't think the game did too well out in the wild either.

Sorry I can't remember much else about it.

Edited by Rog69 - 06 September 2016 at 4:41pm
big10p View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2016 at 10:48am
Originally posted by Rog69 Rog69 wrote:

I used to work as a field tech for a company called Paymaster back in the 90's, they were part of Bass back then and operated all of the coin op stuff for them.

We actually had a Zool prototype that I installed in the UCI cinema in Solihull, and I am pretty sure that we also tried it in a couple of other locations around Birmingham and Coventry later on, but my memory is a little hazy.

I don't remember too much about it other than it's white cabinet and the gameplay being a little different to the Amiga version (I was an Amiga nut back then so I had that to compare to). I don't think the game did too well out in the wild either.

Sorry I can't remember much else about it.
Interesting. I wonder if the cab still exists...
Rog69 View Drop Down
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rog69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2016 at 11:28am
I would be pretty certain it went back to Bellfruit in the end, but if if didn't then it would have been sold on via Paymaster's place up north (in Leeds somewhere I think).
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archminion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2016 at 2:16pm
Hi,

Thanks for the replies.
I do know a Zool cab is owned by someone over at Arcade Museum http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=10541

There's pics of the pcb as well.

Maybe it's the same cab?
Rog69 View Drop Down
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rog69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2016 at 9:23pm
Going from memory, the one in the Arcade Museum link certainly looks like the one I sited, no idea if it is the same one though.
Mordzy View Drop Down
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mordzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2016 at 11:33am
I remember going to a PC showroom in Leeds to see this when the first '3d' cards came out... Matrox Millennium and then onto the 3dfx voodoo and voodoo rush cards. The game really, really shite. Graphically looked like a poor killer instinct (hdd based / 3d rendered characters)I suppose it was great at the time when arcade tech vastly outperformed home hardware. The good old days.

Edited by Mordzy - 08 August 2016 at 11:35am
KI 1&2 Dedicated - Wanted MK 1,2,3 Dedicated - Shipping Container Arcade Thread
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic