Forum Home Forum Home > General Arcade Chat > Arcade Reports
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Arcadeclub.co.uk - in Bury, Manchester

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DPrinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2017 at 8:40pm
Put a coin mech on the bar for tips wired up with a random coin in se
TNOG.ORG - Games nights in Manchester
Flinnster View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2017 at 12:50am
Good lord the lighter sparking tricks and all the other urban myth/legend free credit methods will be going round next! Andy, don't have any coin mechs anywhere - stick to free play - run for the hills - etc..!! Tongue 
Wanted:
- PCBs: Rainbow Islands, Rolling Thunder
- Parts: Naomi non-swivel castor wheel, coin mech metal clip for Dino King Door
- House Extension
CardboardGuru View Drop Down
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CardboardGuru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2017 at 10:30am
Having asked the question of why an entry fee rather than pay to play, I now know! I went yesterday. And it was fantastic to be able to really concentrate on a game, to push it further than you'd ever managed before, without the feeling that it's costing you.

I played on Hard Drivin' for the first time in 20 years, and was able to master qualifying both speed and tricks courses. Never did that on pay per play!

Likewise with Bubble Bobble, it's nice to plow on down through the levels, using a sacrificial Player II to get continues.

Same with Smash TV.

Was looking forward to Defender and Donkey Kong. But when it actually came to it, those games are showing their age, and so am I. They were difficult without bringing me enough fun to justify persevering.

Had a lot of fun on 1942 and various other vertical scrolling shoot em ups. 

Was surprised to play Gyruss and Tempest side by side. At the time I loved Gyruss and not Tempest, because of the then cutting edge apparently rotating sprites and thumping theme tune. But now I found Tempest to be the better game.

Played many other games, some old favourites, some I never saw before.

Only ones I didn't see that I would have liked to were Moon Cresta and Battlezone. Perhaps I just missed them - there were a lot of games to get round.

Great fun. And everyone was very friendly. And also it felt like a safe space. I guess that's another advantage of charging an entry fee. It keeps out people who are not there to play the games.

Nice to see so many young people playing the classic games too. Not just children of older gamers, but young people there in their own right.

Only suggestion I'd make is that standing for so long on most of the old classics were hard on old legs. Not as young as I used to be. The odd bar stood dotted around the classic games room would be welcome!
Rog69 View Drop Down
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rog69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2017 at 11:42am
Originally posted by DPrinny DPrinny wrote:

Originally posted by CardboardGuru CardboardGuru wrote:

Going to go today (Saturday)!

I wonder, what is the reason for charging a fixed fee for entry, rather than letting people pay for the games with coins like the old days?

They would need a TON of change during busy hours as they cant keep nipping to the machine to get the coins out and some people will probably not want to play owt

Also they might need some kind of extra licence for the premises

Based on my time as a field tech for arcade machines I don't think I am exaggerating when I say that a good 80% of my service calls were coin jams and acceptance problems, so good riddance to the coin mechs at Arcade Club, no doubt they have enough work to keep these old machines running as it is.
Rog69 View Drop Down
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rog69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2017 at 11:43am

I wonder, what is the reason for charging a fixed fee for entry, rather than letting people pay for the games with coins like the old days?

They would need a TON of change during busy hours as they cant keep nipping to the machine to get the coins out and some people will probably not want to play owt

DPrinny View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DPrinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2017 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by Rog69 Rog69 wrote:

They would need to be constantly changed as our coins keep bloody changing

Its gone a bit beyond just putting a screw in..........
roadwarrior94 View Drop Down
High Score
High Score

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roadwarrior94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2017 at 5:53pm
Yes I was wondering if there was a moon cresta but there is defo a battlezone.
Does anyone know the Xmas opening days yet?
BBZ149 View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBZ149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2017 at 10:20pm
I love the Web site! looks awesome! Thumbs Up

DPrinny View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DPrinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2017 at 7:20pm
A few of us are heading up Saturday

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic