Forum Home Forum Home > Trading Post > Member Services
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PC Engine / SFC Jr RGB mod service

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penrhos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2016 at 1:08pm
His RGB PCB's are the dogs boll**ks - I've fitted four now with 100% success rate + no jailbars.

Helped me out when my cdrom2 decided to eat the middle cog & stop working.

Cabs : 2 * Leisure 2000, 2 * Euro 25, 1 * Velwix, 1 * Super Megalo, High Stakes pinball.
gojira54 View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gojira54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2016 at 1:18pm
Thank you both for the kind words =]
Nice to see other people enjoying their PCE systems - love it!!
TotalMoop View Drop Down
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TotalMoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2017 at 3:39pm
Hi... You pointed me to here earlier from ebay... 
I have a Duo-R I want RGB modding.

I would like the unmodified look.. so 5-pin din removed and 8-pin internal one (not those mankey oval external ones) and a RGB Scart lead which will do the magic :)

Also.. I have concerns in regards to jailbars... I know they can be an issue.. Does your mod cover sorting this out too?

Cheers

gojira54 View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gojira54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2017 at 5:05pm
Yeah I can mod a duo-r no problem =]
£50 for the mod inc decent scart lead, will look nearly stock with 8 pin din socket replacing the original.
jailbars are not caused or effected by the RGB mod - if your console has them already they will just look clearer after the mod ;)
I can do fixes for white, CGI/II & duo consoles but not sure if the duo-r is a problem from factory like these? 
http://www.filedropper.com/banding
use this rom to check for jailbars on the solid colour screens

TotalMoop View Drop Down
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TotalMoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2017 at 5:35pm
OK Cool.
PM me details on all this.. Delivery n collection etc.. and I'll get it boxed up ready.
Payment details will be a good idea too :)

Thanks

Edited by TotalMoop - 24 February 2017 at 5:36pm
penrhos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote penrhos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2017 at 12:58am
I've just done a Shuttle using one of Gojira54's mini RGB AMPS - worked first time, no jailbars.

Cabs : 2 * Leisure 2000, 2 * Euro 25, 1 * Velwix, 1 * Super Megalo, High Stakes pinball.
Dash Krimson View Drop Down
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dash Krimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2017 at 8:40pm
Hello Gojira, I understand you still do PC Engine RGB mods?

I have a Core Grafx (grey/blue one) hooked up to a CD-ROM2 via an IFU (the suitcase thing), normally hooked up to a Trinitron TV with the composite lead for acceptable results. However, I recently got a cheap PVM for best picture evar, and no matter what I do, I can't seem to get any picture with it now. The composite signal still works with my old CRT and my two HDTVs (but it looks awful!), I tried to pass it through the composite inputs in my Bandridge SCART splitter, which brings me sound and sync from the monitor, but a black screen otherwise. I've googled all over for a fix, and then your name came up.

I was going to get the thing modded eventually anyway, but this has put a bit of a fire under my arse to get it done. So, you say it's £50 with a SCART lead, but what about postage? And how long does the job usually take? Thanks in advance.
gojira54 View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gojira54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2017 at 9:40pm
composite should work on a pvm ok - you just have to select the correct input with the buttons on da front ;) got pics of the front & back of the monitor?
Yeah can mod either/or/both the CG/IFU - £50 per console with high quality scart lead. 
postage should be £2.79 with myhermes, can get it done in less than 2/3 days upon arrival tops

Edited by gojira54 - 13 April 2017 at 9:40pm
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dash Krimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2017 at 1:57am
Sorry I was gone so long, I went to see Fast 8 with a friend. Cracking film, btw.

Anyway, my PVM is a 14L3, and I do have the instruction manual as a pdf if that's good enough. (Actually, I'll just link to where I got it from - https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1059827/Sony-Trinitron-Pvm-14l3.html#manual - the stuff you want starts on page 8.)

Also, considering that I want to play CD games as well as my Turbo Everdrive, which out of the CG or IFU do you recommend modding? And is there any benefit to doing both?

Thanks for your patience, I know it's a lot of questions.
gojira54 View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gojira54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2017 at 6:48am
OK so plug in the composite feed on the back via BNC>RCA adapter

Then use the buttons on the side to select video input A, that's it ;)

If you are planning on using a CDROM2 get the IFU modded, you couldn't just get the CG modded if you want to use it with an IFU CDROM combo unless you hooked up the audio from the IFU and the video from the CG

penrhos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penrhos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2017 at 1:58pm
I've just done a Duo-R using one of Gojira54's mini RGB AMPS - worked first time, no jailbars.

That's 6 different PC-Engines I've fitted them into now with 100% success rate. 

All the modded PC Engine stuff I've sold has had Gojira54's RGB AMPS fitted - I wouldn't consider fitting any other type. A+ service from the man.

gojira54 View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gojira54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2017 at 2:19pm
Thanks =]
I've tried a few different amp designs, these work nicely ;)
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dash Krimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2017 at 7:48pm
Gojira, thanks for all the info.

I've bought all the bits I need to run my CG on composite off eBay, and I'll send out my IFU tomorrow if I can. One more thing: I don't need to send anything else with it, right? Just the IFU-attache-case-thing?

Oh, and can you PM me with your payment details, please? I still need to know how to pay you and when.

Thanks again, hope to hear from you soon.
gojira54 View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gojira54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2017 at 8:36pm
No cash until the mod is completed & ready to send back - will PM u now =]
Er make some more posts - you can get pms until you've reached 10!

Edited by gojira54 - 14 April 2017 at 8:37pm
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dash Krimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2017 at 1:02am
Duly noted.

Edit: I have 10 points now, feel free to PM me! Double Edit: Or did you mean "10 posts"? Oops.

Super Edit: Obviously the points then Tongue PM sent!

Edited by Dash Krimson - 15 April 2017 at 12:25pm
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dash Krimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2017 at 4:33pm
Right, I just now got the IFU in the mail, and I must say I'm super impressed at gojira's work. The video output looks just as crisp and clean as my Saturn now, and that thing is a textbook example of excellent picture quality. The colours, they just POP! out of the screen like nothing I've ever seen, and I never thought I needed Stereo sound on my PCE so badly until I heard Rondo Of Blood's German narration booming out of my tiny speakers like it meant it. That was awesome.

I'm looking forward to trying out a lot more stuff from my Everdrive and CD ROM collection tonight, so thanks again to gojira for a job spectacularly done!

Edited by Dash Krimson - 21 April 2017 at 4:44pm
gojira54 View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gojira54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2017 at 4:42pm
cool thanks =]
gojira54 View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gojira54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2017 at 7:57pm
Done a few mods recently, here is a quick guide to the original white PCE for anyone interested in doing the same.

PARTS
RGB amp ;)
PCB mount mini DIN 8 socket (with a matching mini DIN 8 to SCART cable o course)
wire, I use kynar 30AWG but whatever floats yr boat
double sided tape
kapton tape
LED & suitable current limiting resistor (300ohm?)

EQUIPMENT
soldering equipment :p
security driver 4.5mm gamebit
PZ1 screwdriver
side cutters & pliers, knife etc...

See the pics below but these are the steps;
Open up console by taking out the 4 security screws and then the cart slot securing ones.
Remove the RF modulator - solder suck as much off as possible before carefully pushing the unit up whilst heating the main pins in turn
Put the PCB into the bottom plastic tray and line up the holes then put the mini din in the correct position so that it will be flush with the aperture - mark the left and back side of the mini din with a knife. Carefully scrape off the PCB lacquer as shown in the pics then very carefully solder down the mini din so it is secure - be very accurate with this step you will regret it if you mess up.
wire up the points to the extension bus as shown, route the cables through one of the RF holes.
Wire to the RGB amp, leave tails for +5 and GND from the amp if you want to install a power LED.
Wire up to the mini DIN, make a suitable cable with matching din plug as per diagrams below.
Do the jailbar fix - http://etim.net.au/av-driver/pcebars/
Check the wiring again
Test =]
Go crazy with hot glue so it won't come loose
Test =]

Edited by gojira54 - 6 hours 43 minutes ago at 8:17pm
gojira54 View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gojira54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2017 at 8:02pm
tennokoe 2, super cdrom2 (+5v is not present at the din on these) etc anything that plugs into the ext bus can be modded for rgb too, use this diagram

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic