Forum Home Forum Home > General Arcade Chat > M.A.M.E
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Raspberry Pi 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBZ149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2015 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by corn corn wrote:

Quote is it not just a case of changing the key mapping in the Emulator? or does the Pi not register any commands from the JVS-Pac?

I've not had 2 minutes spare to try with the Distro I'm using. I remember trying previously with the Pi/Linux and having mixed results.

Have you had it working?
Na not tried it yet but reading through this thread sounds interesting so might have a play with it. My JVS-Pac is currently in my i5 Mame machine I built into a Naomi 1 case Big smile 

corn View Drop Down
Bonus Stage
Bonus Stage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2015 at 8:42am
Huh, plugged in the JVS-PAC, powered everything on and it just works, straight out the box - that never happens! I'm well chuffed

Just got to find a nice tidy box for it all now and solder up some AMP connectors for the power.
corn View Drop Down
Bonus Stage
Bonus Stage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2015 at 7:40pm
Found a decent case for it, thanks for the inspiration BBZ149 !

Managed to wire it all up so that it is fully powered by the Naomi and that the audio and JVS plug straight into the filter board. Couldn't be bothered wiring up the VGA on the filterboard so cut a hole for the VGA adapter instead.

Works a treat :-)

BBZ149 View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBZ149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2015 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by corn corn wrote:

Found a decent case for it, thanks for the inspiration BBZ149 !

Managed to wire it all up so that it is fully powered by the Naomi and that the audio and JVS plug straight into the filter board. Couldn't be bothered wiring up the VGA on the filterboard so cut a hole for the VGA adapter instead.

Works a treat :-)

That's cool 
Thumbs Up Any chance of posting a vid of it all up and running? Big smile

Have a word with Andygeezer as he sorted me out a cheap shat cart to fill the hole on top 

corn View Drop Down
Bonus Stage
Bonus Stage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2015 at 8:03pm
Sure, I'll try and get a video done. Might have to tidy the garage first - its a disgrace!

I've got a busted Gigawing2 cart Cry I'll probably put in there. Just can't bring myself to use it at the moment - I'm still in denial that its broken!
chefsolid View Drop Down
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chefsolid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2015 at 1:17am
Hi Corn,

Would you mind sharing which HDMI to VGA adapter you are using, I'm just starting the same project for inside my Atomiswave :-)

Thanks

Chef
corn View Drop Down
Bonus Stage
Bonus Stage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2015 at 7:23am
I used one of these:

Had to modify it though so that it has its own power source. Details on how to modify it here:

neilcuffe View Drop Down
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilcuffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2016 at 9:26pm
Does anyone know of a step by step guide to getting a Raspberry Pi with Retropie working in a Naomi cab? Pobtastic or Corn did you ever put a guide together from your experiences, I'd love to get one set up in my Naomi Universal cab.
Cheers, Neil

Edited by neilcuffe - 30 August 2016 at 9:29pm
corn View Drop Down
Bonus Stage
Bonus Stage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2016 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by neilcuffe neilcuffe wrote:

Does anyone know of a step by step guide to getting a Raspberry Pi with Retropie working in a Naomi cab? Pobtastic or Corn did you ever put a guide together from your experiences, I'd love to get one set up in my Naomi Universal cab.
Cheers, Neil

I never really put a guide together but it isn't too complicated to sort. Get yourself one of these if you don't have one already (assuming your Naomi is still JVS ?) :

You'll need an HDMI to VGA adapter. There is a link to the one I used somewhere in the thread above. Alternatively, Brettser sent me a link to the one he ordered a few days back - worked a treat on his 15k Nanao without a separate power source. Not tested one myself but should be fine with your Naomi:

Install Retropie, update the config.txt in the boot partition so that it outputs VGA (I have the exact settings somewhere if you can't find them) and then just setup your inputs using the Naomi Joysticks/buttons.

I've not tried retropie in my Naomi but have it up and running in a Lindbergh and it works a treat.
neilcuffe View Drop Down
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilcuffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2016 at 11:24pm
Excellent, thanks for all the advice. My Naomi is still JVS, I've got a few other things on the go right now, but as soon as I get the chance I'll start on this and let you know how I get on.

Thanks again, Neil
Brettster View Drop Down
Patreon
Patreon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brettster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2016 at 12:27am
I'm working on perfecting my set up at the moment but I'm using Lakka for my front end and this uses Retroarch for the emulators and seems to run them really well, got it setup on my New Astro City, with the pi 3 pumping out 240p 60hz direct to a Jpac
http://www.lakka.tv/
Looking for a Daytona, Sega Rally cab
neilcuffe View Drop Down
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilcuffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2016 at 7:49am
Thanks Brettster, I'll take a look at that too. I'm definitely going to be using a Pi 3 for whatever setup I go for. Which HDMI to VGA converter did you go for?

My biggest challenge is going to be convincing the wife that it's not going back into the garage when I move it inside whilst she's at work!
Brettster View Drop Down
Patreon
Patreon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brettster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2016 at 9:12am
I used the one that Corn linked  to from amazon
this was the 3rd one I had tried and this one supports lower res output for a nice crisp output, im running at 320 x 240 but if you are using a standard Naomi monitor you will need 640 x 480
this is set by adding a line to your config.txt file on the SD card, which can be done from a PC, no SSH or linux skills required :)
you'll want to add something like

hdmi_cvt=640 480 60 1 0 0 0hdmi_group=2hdmi_mode=87hdmi_drive=2

neilcuffe View Drop Down
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilcuffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2016 at 1:18pm
Cool, can that line go anywhere in the config.txt file? I haven't got the parts yet or I would have just tried it for myself rather than asking.

Edited by neilcuffe - 02 September 2016 at 1:19pm
Brettster View Drop Down
Patreon
Patreon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brettster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2016 at 6:17pm
Yes the line can be just in the config.txt file but there should only be one
So if th defiant config has a similar line either modify it or replace it
keyamon View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keyamon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2017 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by Brettster Brettster wrote:

I used the one that Corn linked  to from amazon
this was the 3rd one I had tried and this one supports lower res output for a nice crisp output, im running at 320 x 240 but if you are using a standard Naomi monitor you will need 640 x 480
this is set by adding a line to your config.txt file on the SD card, which can be done from a PC, no SSH or linux skills required :)
you'll want to add something like

hdmi_cvt=640 480 60 1 0 0 0hdmi_group=2hdmi_mode=87hdmi_drive=2

Been trying this on my naomi with no luck so far. I've got the HDMI to VGA adapter mentioned in this thread. I've tried it with and without a 5v power source.

I added that line into my config file... it's a pain to read on my PC as it's all runon into one block. I've tried it as is, pasting over any existing, and I've tried adding returns so it looks formatted correctly on my PC.

All I'm getting is a blank screen.

I am using a MadLittlePixel arcade only motionblue build so not sure if that could be the issue?
venom View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote venom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2017 at 11:25pm
Is it worth trying another build ?

http://www.arcadepunks.com/retro-pi-downloads-page/

Owner Supreme video, a Woodie and Thunderbirds pachislo.
keyamon View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keyamon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2017 at 5:14pm
seems I need

hdmi_cvt=640 480 60 1 0 0 0
hdmi_drive=2
hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=4

at the start of my config. looks to me like all the rest of config is commented out?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic