Forum Home Forum Home > Trading Post > Wanted
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Outrun Steering Gear 'B'

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guernica2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Outrun Steering Gear 'B'
    Posted: 07 July 2014 at 5:02pm
Has anyone started making these yet?

All I seem to read online is how every cabinet has this damaged gear and nobody seems to sell them!

I have a local engineering firm which may be able to help me, but it's going to be a significant cost.

Just wondering what other people in the same situation have opted for?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Wayne.

Just when I thought I was out, they drag me back in.
stevebm1 View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevebm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2014 at 5:27pm
you used to be able to get them from the usa for about $40
==wanted:vector pinball plastics
==
cmonkey View Drop Down
High Score
High Score

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2014 at 5:35pm
There's a guy in the US that does 3D printed replacement gears for Out Run.  Gear B is $28.50 plus shipping and import duty (another $20).

There's also a guy on KLOV (username steve23) who manufactures mild steel replacement gear B's, but he only ships within the US.  He charges $65 shipped to a US address.

vib_ribbon View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vib_ribbon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2014 at 5:44pm
isn't there a youtube video as well showing you how to replace the gears? i see to remember watching it.
Please don't sell me anymore stuff!
Games fixed: 001 (green beret) 002 (ikari warriors) 003 (victory road) 004 (sfz2) 005 (double dragon) 006 (final fight) 007 (sky shark) 008 (ninja turtles)
cmonkey View Drop Down
High Score
High Score

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2014 at 6:19pm
You mean this one?  This is the guy who makes the 3D printed gears.

simonden View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2014 at 6:49pm
i have just been researching these as I needed one.

There are 2 types being made, 1 is steel and and costs about £115 including delivery and tax, the good thing with this one is that it should last for ever (edit: although I suspect over time it will wear down the A gear) and can use the original Outrun Springs.  Ebay item number: 281335498141

The guy in the above video makes the cogs with a 3d printer and you can buy sets of just the B gear or A and B gear or all 4, etc...  Because of the plastic used, you cannot use the original Outrun springs as they are the wrong tension for the 3d printed Cogs, but he supplies the right springs with the gears. Cost around £28.50 including shipping and taxes.  Ebay item number: 291138493072  Check out his other items for A/C/D gears and packs.

I was lucky enough to find a NOS Out Run Gear B from a forum member a couple of weeks ago Smile so haven't tested any of the above solutions, but they both have good reviews on the interweb.

Edited by simonden - 07 July 2014 at 6:49pm
The Four Quarters Arcade Bar

Wanted: (for personal collection) - Nichibutsu boards with O,P,Q connectors
Guernica2 View Drop Down
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guernica2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2014 at 7:29pm
Brilliant.  Thanks chaps.

I shall look into the above solutions.

Sounds cheaper than asking my local company to make me one.

In September, I'm driving from New York to Santa Monica with my wife, so if there's anything I can pick up en route, I want to make sure! Clap
Wayne.

bensonrad View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bensonrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2014 at 10:51pm
There were metal ones sold in the states, not too sure if they still are though, I did buy one off Shaun on here, not too sure where I put it though! I'll certainly need it on mine.
Ben
==========================================
WANTED: TAITO SPACE INVADERS PCB, Euro Millipede parts & bezel, Super Pacman Bezel
bensonrad View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bensonrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2014 at 10:56pm
Here is the place that was selling them, he looks to have none in stock, but it worth emailing him, he normally has a lot of stuff not even listed.
http://www.arcadefixit.com/product.sc?productId=1008&categoryId=61
Ben
WANTED: TAITO SPACE INVADERS PCB, Euro Millipede parts & bezel, Super Pacman Bezel
ColinD View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ColinD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2014 at 10:23am
You can get a stock gear turned down and slotted, grub screwed for about £40 all in...... if that....

I was going to get some made but no one wanted them....  

http://www.hpcgears.com/pdf_c33/23.40-23.45.pdf

Its YG-1.5-24 that you want.....  £18.80 + modification charges +  delivery + vat

You send them this drawing and they will modify the gear for about £10 or something....

JUST LOOKED AT THE EBAY LISTING AND IT LOOKS EXACTLY THE SAME AS THIS ONE, so I think someone may have seen this drawing as I've posted it before !!! - FFS !!!!   

INFACT... He's used the lighter gear and not the heavy duty one, so that one is more likely to split where he's done the keyway !!!   - This one has more meat on it.....

Edited by ColinD - 08 July 2014 at 10:36am
Wanted
>>>>> Return of the Jedi PCB <<<<<
>>>>> Namco Pole Position II PCB Set <<<<<
>>>>> Atari Colour Vector PowerBrick <<<<<
ColinD View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColinD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2014 at 10:44am
heres my  proto that had the smaller shaft.....  this gear came from Farnell and was £14 !!

And here is the ebay one !!

Edited by ColinD - 08 July 2014 at 10:47am
Wanted
Guernica2 View Drop Down
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guernica2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2014 at 5:23pm
Thanks Colin, that's some fantastic information you've provided there.

I'm going to look into getting myself one. Thumbs Up
Wayne.

ColinD View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColinD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2014 at 7:04pm
It was ages ago when I did this..... I'm pretty sure it was all spot on though.....

I can't find the 2nd heavy duty one I had made, and I never tried it for clearance etc. They forgot to do the grub screws so I had to do them myself, thats why I've got the tick boxes on the drawing now :-)

You also might want bigger grub screws or check the ones that are fitted are the same, but I think there will be no issues.  The original gear is fat and long anyway, so the clearance should be fine.   21.5mm worked for the keyway for me, but 22 might be better.  Also the position of the grubscrews is a reasonable guess (instead of being dead center with 7.5mm either side).   You might want to measure what you have and compare to the gear dimensions shown in the pdf.  Basically I kept the machining steps to a minimum as each costs money.

I suggest one of you takes a few measurements with a digital caliper (this is what I did) and has one made up first , tries it out and reports back.  Like I say, the first one fitted a treat above, but due to it having a smaller diameter hub, the keyway is a bit close to the bone. The width of the teeth and the hub is a little different on the heavy duty one if you compare the two products in the catalogue.  The sketch is for the heavy duty gear, but is not to scale... which is not a problem as it shows the measurements !!

This was the most cost effective way of doing it, using a stock gear off the shelf and using their machining facilities with as smaller number of operations possible (which are dirt cheap) to end up with something that will fit and do the job. They can also do custom stuff using bar stock, but the price will go up !!   The 1.5 module teeth look a very close match to the originals and run together fine.

Edited by ColinD - 08 July 2014 at 8:42pm
Wanted
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic