Forum Home Forum Home > Pinball > Members Pinball Machines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

£500 StarWars project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: £500 StarWars project
    Posted: 03 November 2013 at 12:31am
I'd been wanting a pin project for the winter and had kept a close eye on eBay for something to pop up that took my fancy. This came up and to my surprise was being bid on even though it had a low £500 BIN.

Anyway after a nano second doing a quick head check regarding space my heart said yes and the button was pressed. Now came the fun part. I was quickly harassed into paying and collecting it the same day! This meant a 6 hour round trip to Liverpool and back that night. Fun Sleepy

This is very much a project and will require lots of time and money. The great news is I've done a few before so I'm not a complete newbie at this Wink

What I present to you is the first pictures the very next day. I will keep a log of my progress and fingers crossed between us all I can get this baby up and running again to former glory.

Tyke View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2013 at 12:35am

She's been tied up for some time.

Paint work wise the side art on both the body and backbox is pretty good. The top however has seen better days.

This was my first glimpse of the playfield and back box. I had no idea of condition and even if the backbox artwork was there!
Tyke View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2013 at 12:40am

This was a little bit of a shock LOL Luckily all the PCBs were present and surprisingly in OK visual condition. - Edit: Sound board missing Cry

R2 had no head and missing a few popbumper caps. Most of the other plastics were intact and mainly in good condition.

An investigation under the playfield found a pile of things. Can you see a certain driod's missing head LOL

Edited by tyke - 06 November 2013 at 11:56am
Tyke View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2013 at 12:43am

Amongst the parts found in the base included his head, popbumper caps, manual, balls and other bits and bobs.

Edited by tyke - 03 November 2013 at 12:44am
Tyke View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2013 at 12:52am
Today I gave the playfield a very quick wipe over to see what damage I could find.

On the drive over to collect it my worst fears of a bare wood playfield kept running through my head. In a situation like this its always best to think of the worst LOL

Anyway it is, dare I say it, in very good condition. I am very happy put it that way.

I have started making a list of things it will need:

Right Hand Flipper parts missing
Shooter kit missing - I have the bracket and solenoid and nothing else.
Slingshot plastics.
New balls
Leg bolts
Screws for PCBs
9 pin connectors x 2
Pop bumper ring and rods x 1

The next job is to check the PCB's over for damage and to test them. More to come...

Sense19 View Drop Down
High Score
High Score

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sense19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2013 at 2:54am
It was a bit expensive IMHO in this condition, but finally it could turn out  a real great pinball.Wink
Good luck with the resto, it is a nice challenge.

Edited by Sense19 - 03 November 2013 at 2:54am
Wanted:Zaccaria Fitter cpo.
muddymusic View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen
Official Porchy fan club member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2013 at 8:05am
Gonna be a great project this one and a nice excuse to give it the full works
Repro Arcade Artwork supplier, pm me or visit arcadeartshop.com
steveflipout View Drop Down
Game Over
Game Over

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steveflipout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2013 at 10:07am
Not much goes wrong on sw , mainly the up down death star target. It was the right price for a project machine , even if display is dead there is some financial leeway. Don't forget to upgrade the game rooms as new rules make game far more balanced even if they never finished the speeder video mode. Have fun!
Big Phil View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen
DMD Repairer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2013 at 3:59pm
Congrats! Love my Star Wars :-)
www.northeastretrogaming.com Retro Gaming Event 2nd & 3rd July 2016
netdent View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen
2014 Site Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote netdent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2013 at 4:32pm
I seen that on eBay when it was listed, if it had been closer I would have bought it. I did buy one a couple of years ago in similar condition but got it for 280 and it was local so a great buy, it needed lots of work but was in general good condition like yours so I think you can't go wrong really, I may still have some bits and bobs kicking about if you get stuck, I think the pop bumper bits are hard to get I found anyway, mine needed a new display and a host of other parts targets etc. nice project to keep you busy

Ronnie
Tyke View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2013 at 8:28pm
I made a start stripping this down today. There is quite a few missing parts with the main being the sound PCB which I hadn't accounted for Disapprove

Main Sound PCB missing.
Right Hand Flipper is missing most of the flipper assembly.
Shooter kit missing - I have found the mounting bracket and solenoid. Missing the rest of the assembly.
Leg bolts - No leg bolts.
No screws for PCBs - The PCBs in the back box were all loose in a big pile which was a bit of a shock.
Pop bumper ring and rods - missing off one of the pop bumpers.

I've gone back to the seller as he stated it was complete (bar a missing solenoid) and asked for either the missing parts or some cash back to cover them. We shall see...
Tyke View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2013 at 10:51am
I had a fiddle again last night. The power supply was missing the fuse holder and cap so I had to put a new one of them in to start with.

I thought I'd get the PSU and MPU boards inplace and give them a test. The MPU lights (5v, blanking and PIA) all behaved and I had a good 5v at the test points. So far so good..

I then thought about checking the DMD for action so I attached the controller board back onto the back of the DMD (This was in that pile pictured above). I wired it all up and fired it up again..

Edited by tyke - 06 November 2013 at 10:52am
netdent View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen
2014 Site Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote netdent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2013 at 11:19am
That's a good start, did you find the sound board?

Ronnie
Beaps View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen
Tha Xbox Man

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beaps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2013 at 11:19am
Oh man this is coming alone nice.

May the force be with you on this one buddy & it looks like it needs a lot of TLC
You need a CoinOps 8 Xbox Console or Uber Wii Console , ready to go, drop me a PM.
(.Y.)
Tyke View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tyke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2013 at 11:55am
Originally posted by netdent netdent wrote:

That's a good start, did you find the sound board?

Ronnie

Thanks,
Nope the sound board is missing Cry
Beaps View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen
Tha Xbox Man

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beaps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2013 at 12:00pm
Did the seller come back to you about the stuff that was missing?
You need a CoinOps 8 Xbox Console or Uber Wii Console , ready to go, drop me a PM.
(.Y.)
Tyke View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2013 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by Beaps Beaps wrote:

Did the seller come back to you about the stuff that was missing?

He has said he will look for the missing parts and get back to me.

Hope there is with this one Wink
mes83 View Drop Down
Bonus Stage
Bonus Stage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mes83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2013 at 12:37pm
"I cannot teach him. The boy has no patience"

"
....He will learn patience"

DAYTONAUSA View Drop Down
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAYTONAUSA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2013 at 10:41pm
nice project, looks like youve got your work cut out!

it will be worth it though
Gerike View Drop Down
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2013 at 12:33pm
I bought mine in the same condition and almost the same price! Currently restoring.. some parts are very hard to find. My most wanted part is R2D2's right "leg".
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic