Forum Home Forum Home > General Arcade Chat > Players Guides/Walkthroughs and Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

*Very* comprehensive Bubble Bobble item FAQ

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonny_Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: *Very* comprehensive Bubble Bobble item FAQ
    Posted: 17 April 2013 at 9:15am
Fair play to the guy who worked this out, I always assumed the inner workings of the Bubble Bobble item system were lost to the sands of time after Taito lost the source code during an office move:

http://www.mcboof.com/games/bb/bb-stuff.txt
Hurray Banana View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurray Banana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2013 at 10:59am
nice, thanks for posting
muddymusic View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen
Official Porchy fan club member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2013 at 11:27am
It's a bit worrying that most of that information is permanently etched in to my brain from the years and years of playing it! Geek
Repro Arcade Artwork supplier, pm me or visit arcadeartshop.com
RygarR View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RygarR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2013 at 11:30am
Yeah, nice 1 Sonny. Very useful indeed. 10 million + here we come!
Sonny_Jim View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonny_Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2013 at 11:41am
My brother plays *a lot* of BB at the moment and has the MAME highscore cheat thing so the item counters don't get zerod, he was asking me what some of the stranger items are.

Also, how the frick do you complete level 42 without dying or using a warp item?
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2013 at 11:54am
Level 42 is one of the tricky ones for sure. you can take out the lower middle guy from the bottom level, then jump up the far right platforms to just below the 2 guys going side to side, wait until they are farthest from you then hop to the top platform and rev the bubble button, there is time to clear them out as they jump up separately.
Always be ready to jump to pop them or avoid them firing.
sbadger View Drop Down
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sbadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2013 at 2:13pm
great link :

i've been playing bb for years, and only had hints in my mind how the mechanics worked.
There is more info here still detailed (and some dupe, don't know who ripped off who):-

Edited by sbadger - 17 April 2013 at 2:26pm
sbadger View Drop Down
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sbadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2013 at 2:33pm
also, if you just want to see the items...

Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2013 at 3:35pm
I've seen that sprite rip, there's some stuff there that never made it in to the game, I wonder what some of it was for.
sbadger View Drop Down
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sbadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2013 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by muddymusic muddymusic wrote:

I've seen that sprite rip, there's some stuff there that never made it in to the game, I wonder what some of it was for.

I've certainly never seen the 'rascal' before
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2013 at 3:59pm
He appears if you hang around in a treasure room too long. In fact there's a little bug there - if you lose your last life in a treasure room by touching the rascal guy you get to the demo screen level. 
GAMESMONKEY View Drop Down
Bonus Stage
Bonus Stage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAMESMONKEY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by muddymusic muddymusic wrote:

He appears if you hang around in a treasure room too long. In fact there's a little bug there - if you lose your last life in a treasure room by touching the rascal guy you get to the demo screen level. 

I would love to see you do a hints and tips video for Bubble Bobble mate Smile

As I always get stuck on level 35,40 and 42 Embarrassed
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 10:00pm
I popped it in the egret last week and had a few goes, first time in about a year since I played the original game. Gonna stick with it for a while and try to beat my old score. Been a bit rusty, got 4 mil then 5.6 mil a few days ago so not far off.
GAMESMONKEY View Drop Down
Bonus Stage
Bonus Stage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAMESMONKEY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 10:58pm
My problems seem to start when you pick up the fast shoes, never seem to make it to level 42 with them.
I assume you need them to get to the top of the level as quickly as possible, before the monsters start moving.

Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 11:10pm
42 is tough without the shoes but can be done, you can catch the lowest guy with a jump bubble kiss before he moves, work up the right of the screen one platform, when the 2 guys above are touching each other jump again (so they follow you up as 1 instead of 2 separate guys) then up to the top and start blowing bubbles as they all jump up - you then time the pops so you're jumping over the fireballs and bursting the other trapped ones. Kinda hard to explain in text!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic