Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > Console And Retro Gaming
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The PC Engine appreciation thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 33>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 2.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
vib_ribbon View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vib_ribbon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The PC Engine appreciation thread
    Posted: 28 January 2013 at 10:00pm
can we have some pc engine chat please?

how about.... where and when did you get your first pc engine??

i seem to remember that i bought mine from a mail order company, it was about £160 with drunken master. it had a RF mod on it so i could play it on the tv. i absolutely loved it, played it to death. games were pricey though back in the day at £35-£40 each. some of the import shops in the arndale center in manchester would have the games in and on a rolling demo on their display tvs. i remember the other games on release were chan & chan (didn't buy it until recent years), tales of the monsterpath (i think this was my 2nd game), and a racing game called victory run or something like that, the screen shots looked ace but got poor scores in mags so i've never played it.

unfortunately my original white pc engine died about 10yrs ago so i sold it on ebay...can't remember how much i got for it, maybe £25 or something like that. i asked the buyer what he was gonna do with it and he said he's just gonna have it as a display piece.

eventually i bought a cheap pc-e gt from hong kong while i was there. the screen sure is tiny for today's standard.

Please don't sell me anymore stuff!
Games fixed: 001 (green beret) 002 (ikari warriors) 003 (victory road) 004 (sfz2) 005 (double dragon) 006 (final fight) 007 (sky shark) 008 (ninja turtles)
phillv85 View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phillv85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2013 at 10:09pm
I love the PC Engine. I've got a Duo R and the little white original. I've also got a TurboGrafx-16 and a SuperGrafx. I've collected consoles and games for nearly 4 years now, and the PC Engine is definitely one of the gems I found when picking up and playing some of the more obscure machines.

I picked mine up probably a couple of years ago, as well as a PC-FX, which to be honest was rubbish! Fans of shooters can't go wrong with it, tonnes of great titles to pick from Big smile

Edited by phillv85 - 28 January 2013 at 10:09pm
felgekarp View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote felgekarp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2013 at 10:17pm
I got a CoreGrafx a few years ago, modded to play jap and US games. I'd wanted one since seeing them in C&VG all those years ago.
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vib_ribbon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2013 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by phillv85 phillv85 wrote:

I picked mine up probably a couple of years ago, as well as a PC-FX, which to be honest was rubbish! Fans of shooters can't go wrong with it, tonnes of great titles to pick from Big smile

are there actually any decent games on the pc-fx?? i remember actually considering buying one when it first came out ahead of the saturn/ playstation as i was such a big fan of the pc-e, but all they had out at the time were some graphic novel type games or stuff that was heavily texted. needless to say i dodged the bullet there... shame that, cos we could have had another great console to cherish.
Games fixed: 001 (green beret) 002 (ikari warriors) 003 (victory road) 004 (sfz2) 005 (double dragon) 006 (final fight) 007 (sky shark) 008 (ninja turtles)
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vib_ribbon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2013 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by felgekarp felgekarp wrote:

I got a CoreGrafx a few years ago, modded to play jap and US games. I'd wanted one since seeing them in C&VG all those years ago.

does it have the rgb mod as well? i remember one of my school mate's older brother who had virtually every console available at the time (i remember playing the gameboy for the 1st time round his house), his pc engine had the rgb mod and he was running it on the philips cm8833 mk2 monitor.... my word, it was soooo crisp that it made mine look like beer-o-vision and completely washed out.
The Last Bandit View Drop Down
Bonus Stage
Bonus Stage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Last Bandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2013 at 10:57pm
PC Engine is a great little console, have the 'Shuttle' version of it. Has some terrific shooters and with the likes of everdrive being available for it makes it a 'must'.

RGB mod is straightforward on them as well :) 
felgekarp View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote felgekarp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2013 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by vib_ribbon vib_ribbon wrote:

Originally posted by felgekarp felgekarp wrote:

does it have the rgb mod as well? i remember one of my school mate's older brother who had virtually every console available at the time (i remember playing the gameboy for the 1st time round his house), his pc engine had the rgb mod and he was running it on the philips cm8833 mk2 monitor.... my word, it was soooo crisp that it made mine look like beer-o-vision and completely washed out.

Aye I believe it does, I'll have to have a count up of games I've got for it, I think most of them are shoot em ups, although I do have a multi tap and two six button pads for the rather decent version of Streetfighter 2 you can get for it.
Jodo View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen
Space Harrier World Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jodo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2013 at 11:01pm
I used to read C&VG when they did a double page spread on the original import white PC Engine and were going wide eyed at the sheer size of the sprites in The Kung Fu and the crunching gear sound effect in Victory Run. 

I too frequented the Arndale Centre in Manchester; particularly the import shop on the corner at the top end on the opposite side of the road to the bus depot. I think they were doing an RF modded PC Engine for £300+ but for some reason I imported a Super Famicom instead. I loved the SF but dearly regretted not getting a PC Engine when they first came out; I missed the console's best years. 

Actually I went completely away from consoles for a long time; I think I was jaded with throwing money at new hardware to see it cancelled; a spiral that started with the 3DO, The Jaguar, Saturn and then the Dreamcast. I was all burnt out giving my hard-earned to support hardware that didn't last 18 months.

Fast forward to 4 years ago and I now collect shop stock PC Engine consoles! Ebay has reignited my passion for the brand and I've so far managed to get brand new stock of:

White PC Engine
Core Grafx II
PC Engine Duo
PC Engine Duo-RX
PC Engine Turbo Duo
PC Engine Super Grafx
PC-FX
PC Engine CD-ROM 2 add-on
PC Engine CD-ROM 2 Briefcase add-on

rcantor77 View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rcantor77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2013 at 11:32pm
I never had a PC Engine when they first came out (although a couple of friends did) as I had gone down the Megadrive route and that age I could not afford to have both. A couple of years later though I got a PC Engine GT, it must have been just before '93 as I remember buying Street Fighter II CE for it when it was released and it was awesome.

There are so many awesome games for the PCE and along with the MD and Neo are by far my favourite consoles. I now have got a massive colelction of consoles, games and accessories and am always on the lookout for stuff I do not have.

As for the PC-FX, there are a handful of great playable games on it...

Battle Heat (Vs Fighting)
Chip Chan Kick (Bubble Bobble clone)
Zenki: Vajura Fight (Scrolling Beat Em Up)
Heiki Zeroigar (Awesome Shooter)

And I suppose it would be rude not to dig out a pic of my Portable PC Engine setup... Tongue

Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vib_ribbon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2013 at 7:35am
Originally posted by Jodo Jodo wrote:

I too frequented the Arndale Centre in Manchester; particularly the import shop on the corner at the top end on the opposite side of the road to the bus depot.

are you referring to the one that was really far into the corner of the shopping centre? can't remember what it was called, just that it was really out of the way and rather quiet. i don't think i've ever bought anything from there... microbyte was the most exciting store though back in the day.

Originally posted by Jodo Jodo wrote:

I've so far managed to get brand new stock of:

you do take them out to play them? i used to have the briefcase combo too, but for some reason it would overheat after about an hour so it made it difficult to complete certain games... Confused it was the first cd player i owned! LOL

do you have a stack of games too?
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vib_ribbon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2013 at 7:38am
Originally posted by rcantor77 rcantor77 wrote:

And I suppose it would be rude not to dig out a pic of my Portable PC Engine setup... Tongue

ah... the LT. one of those unattainable things in life. LOL i have never seen one in real life!! so er... when will you let me ogle at it? how does the screen compare to newer handhelds? is the colour definition a bit iffy like the GT's?
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vib_ribbon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2013 at 7:43am
Originally posted by The Last Bandit The Last Bandit wrote:

PC Engine is a great little console, have the 'Shuttle' version of it. Has some terrific shooters and with the likes of everdrive being available for it makes it a 'must'.

i think i've only ever seen the shuttle once in the basement of CeX on rathebone place. i remember the shuttle was announced round about the same time as the supergrafx. i've always thought the shuttle's design is one of the weirdest console designs ever. has anyone ever opened one to see what the innards are like inside the shell? is the pcb the shape of the console?
phillv85 View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phillv85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2013 at 7:59am
Yea, as rcantor said, there's a handful of decent games on the PC-FX, but most of them are graphic novels, dating sims and kanji heavy RPG's. The Decent games usually cost quite a lot as well. I do like the design of the PC-FX though, it does look cool in a retro way Smile

There's plenty of expensive games on the PC-E and it's tough to part with the cash when you can buy other 'better' stuff. I spent a fair few quid on Magical Chase before Xmas.
Pyongyang View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen
Sexmint

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pyongyang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2013 at 8:39am

can we have some pc engine chat please?

YES SIR! Approve

As a young pup, I always lusted at the classifieds in the back of mags like Super Play, Mean Machines...... and Exchange & Mart. LOL Embarrassed

They would always have ads for import games at prices well beyond my wildest dreams of ever hoping to be able to afford. Neo Geo AES, PC-FX (probably for the best on this one LOL) and ultimately, the PC Engine.

Who would have ever imagine that such a tiny little box of tricks could wield so much power? So much gaming goodness?

Time passed, decades passes and yet the PC Engine remained out of reach for me. We lost contact until almost 2 years ago when I purchased a 'doujindance' PC Engine Duo-R from Japan. It came with a new laser, region mod, RGB mod and a lick of 'retrobrite' plus some games and what not.

I love my Duo-R and am steadily amassing a collection of games. A healthy mix of SHMUPS, puzzle and 'WTF?' titles sit proudly in my collection. I would love to add a GT or an LT to my collection. For a brief time I had a Core Grafx II but sold it to part pay for the Duo-R as I saw more value in having the two systems in one pack.

I'm glad I bought a PC Engine after all these years. I'm just sad I never got to experience it as a youngster.
The Last Bandit View Drop Down
Bonus Stage
Bonus Stage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Last Bandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2013 at 8:52am

has anyone ever opened one to see what the innards are like inside the shell? is the pcb the shape of the console?

Ya the PCB is basically the same shape as the console alright. They did removed the video signals from the expansion port though so RGB modding is slightly trickier than the other models.

ben76 View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen
Official Porchy fan club member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ben76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2013 at 9:34am
I've got a TG-16, 2x White Jap ones and a Core Grafx II hardly ever played on them though Embarrassed That's a bad thing isn't it Embarrassed
Also got various games, a multi tap and one of those 3 button pads that were apparently for Forgotten Worlds or something Confused

- Ben
I Porchy
Beaps View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen
Tha Xbox Man

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beaps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2013 at 9:55am
I got the Jap white PC Engine. I bought it off eBay for £23 not working with the controller. When it turned up it was hard wired RGB. I switched it on.....nothing. wriggled the hard wire, nothing. Cry Broken Heart

Just about to unplug it & it slid off the the counter & came on Shocked R-Type in all its glory!! what are the chances of that, seconds from going to the retro heaven. I re-wired the hard RGB & bingo works everytime. I pad hacked the controller & hooked it up to my arcade controls. I am a bit gutted as I wish I had a spare to use on the console as is. So if anyone can pleeeeese help me out & sell me one I would be very grateful! pleeeeease LOL

Edited by Beaps - 29 January 2013 at 10:02am
You need a CoinOps 8 Xbox Console or Uber Wii Console , ready to go, drop me a PM.
(.Y.)
ben76 View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen
Official Porchy fan club member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ben76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2013 at 10:12am
Originally posted by Beaps Beaps wrote:

I got the Jap white PC Engine. I bought it off eBay for £23 not working with the controller. When it turned up it was hard wired RGB. I switched it on.....nothing. wriggled the hard wire, nothing. Cry Broken Heart

Just about to unplug it & it slid off the the counter & came on Shocked R-Type in all its glory!! what are the chances of that, seconds from going to the retro heaven. I re-wired the hard RGB & bingo works everytime. I pad hacked the controller & hooked it up to my arcade controls. I am a bit gutted as I wish I had a spare to use on the console as is. So if anyone can pleeeeese help me out & sell me one I would be very grateful! pleeeeease LOL

Pretty sure I replied in your wanted thread......

- Ben
I Porchy
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vib_ribbon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2013 at 10:43am
Originally posted by phillv85 phillv85 wrote:

Yea, as rcantor said, there's a handful of decent games on the PC-FX, but most of them are graphic novels, dating sims and kanji heavy RPG's.

think i'd need to read up on the history of the pc-fx and why nec decided to go down that direction. maybe everyone jumped ship and decided to back the saturn and the playstation. i mean, what happened to hudson soft who made most of their games on the pc-e??
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vib_ribbon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2013 at 10:46am
Originally posted by Pyongyang Pyongyang wrote:

I purchased a 'doujindance' PC Engine Duo-R from Japan.

i had to google that...

http://members.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=doujindance

haha... that's ace that is!!! LOL so clean!! would it work on the grey coloured original??
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 33>
  Share Topic