Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > Console And Retro Gaming
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The PC Engine appreciation thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 313233
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 2.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
damagestar View Drop Down
Patreon
Patreon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damagestar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2017 at 11:00pm
Just thought I'd put some pics of my pc engine collection up.

I have a few more bits an pieces up in the loft but that's most of it.

Edited by damagestar - 10 February 2017 at 11:02pm
penrhos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penrhos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2017 at 12:48am
New toy finally arrived from YAJ...

PC Engine "Shuttle"

Lets Crack it open and sort it out...

Remove the 5-pin din socket and replace it with an 8-pin one....

Take Ground & +5V from the bottom of the din socket.

Add an RGB AMP and power it from the two wires, connect the RGB output to the top row of pins on the 8-pin socket.

Shuttle doesn't output video to the expansion port so its taken from pins 47, 49 & 51 from the HU6260

Re-Assemble it all and fire it up and....

We go from this black & white image 

To this...

Cabs : 2 * Leisure 2000, 2 * Euro 25, 1 * Velwix, 1 * Super Megalo, High Stakes pinball.
gojira54 View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gojira54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2017 at 10:52am
Nice =]
I've never seen inside a shuttle before!
Ex_Mosquito View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ex_Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2017 at 11:35am
@Damagestar. I like how you left the £2.50 price tags on Violent Soldier and Tiger Road :) PCE games used to dirt cheap didn't they.

Here's a pic a few of PCE games I picked up in CEX back in 2002. Pretty expensive compared to yours but it's CEX after all :)

@Penrhos Lovely mod, very neat. It's such a strange console isn't it... So oversized for what it is.

Edited by Ex_Mosquito - 25 February 2017 at 11:36am
My Arcade 1-Credit Replays
http://www.youtube.com/user/exmosquito
penrhos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penrhos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2017 at 12:15pm
I was expecting something about the size of a core II but it's huge!

It's about the same size & weight as a duo.

Has a neat sliding cover for the power input socket, uses the same psu as an ifu30.

It's odd - I like it.....

New additions...

The RAU-30 is NOS and hints at what's next for the PCE collection - it's on the boat back!

Edited by penrhos - 26 March 2017 at 10:36pm
Cabs : 2 * Leisure 2000, 2 * Euro 25, 1 * Velwix, 1 * Super Megalo, High Stakes pinball.
Ex_Mosquito View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ex_Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2017 at 11:53am
Some lovely collections here! I massively regret not getting sh*tloads of PCE games when I had disposable income and they were dirt cheap....those days are gone :/

I was mesmerised by the PCE ever since I first saw it in the back of C+VG and following reviews in later issues, and also in the 'Complete Guide to Consoles' mags, specifically the yellow one. It really blew my mind how great the games looked compared to my Spectrum 48k and SMS. C+VG used to take some gorgeous RGB scanlined screenshots back then!

I got my first PC Engine in 93' (late I know.. :(..) from KT Konsoles, specifically a Turbo Express with the purple converter to play HuCards. The next few years I amassed a fair amount of games, my good bulk coming from a random encounter when I was visiting an indie import shop in Swindon. I asked the guy behind the counter if they had any TG16/PCE games, he said no but he had a load at home he was willing to sell. Anyway later than night (I was visiting and staying at a friends house) he brought over a bag of about 15games, including: Ordyne, Parasol Stars, Soldier Blade, Dead Moon, Splatterhouse, Bomberman... all for £50! Later in 94' I picked up a white PCE and in 95' I got my Duo. It was never my main console back then for some reason (I was an idiot back then..) I have always been heavily 2D arcade style games but in 94/95 was the times when I got a cab and a RavenGames Supergun and started getting into arcade PCBs and pestering arcade operators in the local seaside (Barry) and the yellow pages for old PCBs from their storage units. Anyway, I sold off 99% of my gaming stuff in 2002ish (D'oh) along with it all my PCE stuff. Currently I have a briefcase setup + Everdrive and about 40 games and it's pretty much all I play on these days. My arcade cab has been neglected lately with it being in the corner of the living room and making me feel anti-social whenever I play on it, so I now have a CRT located underneath the main livingroom LED TV (hacked Ikea unit) for easy access. Besides, the PCE with its library of games being tough, short arcade style games is a great alternative to getting my arcade fix. I just wish I'd gotten a bigger collection when I had the chance and not neglected it :( Ah well. Here's my current PCE set-up.

DB15 converted Sega VSHG stick plugged into a padhack via the IC chip. The pad can still be used as normal. I can't play PCE shooters with the stock pad :/

My PC Engine Fanzine. This Fanzine is amazing! 95pages of reviews, cheats and detailed hardware info. Got this from KT Konsoles for the bargain price of 3 queen quids.

*Did another couple of 1-life clear PC Engine replays also, this time with hand-cam

Dragon Saber

Ordyne

Edited by Ex_Mosquito - 18 April 2017 at 12:00pm
My Arcade 1-Credit Replays
http://www.youtube.com/user/exmosquito
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 313233
  Share Topic