Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade Technical and Restoration > Repair Logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can MVS carts be repaired

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote venom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can MVS carts be repaired
    Posted: 10 June 2012 at 10:17pm
I notice with the right amount of money jamma boards can be repaired are Neo geo carts repairable ?

I will try using the surgical spirit and re-cleaning the contacts and boards first. Been in garage too long today working on my screen strecth issue.

Today I was happily playing shock troopers. It made a loud clicking noise about every second and picture went  to garbage. I have re-inserted it and still makes a clicking noise and wont even boot up to the neo geo screen. I put Andros Dunos in instead and that worked fine so mobo must be ok.

Its a nice label on my shocktroopers and its not on on my 111 in 1 cart Cry
Maybe its on one of froths 161 in 1 ?

Owner Supreme video, a Woodie and Thunderbirds pachislo.
IDCHAPPY View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IDCHAPPY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2012 at 10:20pm
Most things can be repaired mate, it just depends on the economic viability of it.
venom View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote venom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2012 at 10:41pm
I missed the repaired cheaply or by me !!!

I'll take it apart first and clean it all up.

IDCHAPPY View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IDCHAPPY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2012 at 7:13am
Give it a clean and just test the boards without the shell covering them,  if it's still buggered give the boards a real good inspection Smile
shanghaiguide View Drop Down
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shanghaiguide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2012 at 11:13am
Give it the magic nintendo blow on the edge connectors and reinsert ;)

More seriously - rubbing alcohol on the connectors and a q-tip, give it a good clean on the bottom connectors.

*Wait a few min* for that alcohol to dry, then try again.

If it still doesn't work, open up the rom cassette casing, and check for dry joints.  No, not the smokey smokey ones, look at the board, and see if any of the soldered bits look iffy.  Suggest take a nice clean hi-res photo of the board both sides, and we can check also.

If it is a dry joint (eg stress from heating up / heating down over the years of use), then a touch of solder with a soldering iron will solve.  Suggest photos first so we can see.  More stuff gets ruined by well meaning individuals than not, so take photos, upload and let someone else have a look as well.

venom View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote venom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2012 at 12:21pm
Well done a clean and still not working . I have not really got the skills to resolder as it was bad enough doing some of my mame stuff which had a lot bigger solder blobs !

I'll post in the valuations as it does have a nice label !!!

venom View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote venom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2012 at 4:07pm
Had another look today the board is really sticky bizzarley but the chips should be ok will give it away. Maybe someone wants the chips or has a faulty one they can try and swap a board !

Just pay £35 postage and packing Wink

Free to whoever pays recorded postage from post office or can meet in Bristol

Edited by venom - 01 September 2012 at 4:09pm
Hermit_Cardboardhead View Drop Down
Bonus Stage
Bonus Stage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermit_Cardboardhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2013 at 9:38am
Hey venom, have you still got that faulty Shock Troopers?
venom View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote venom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2013 at 9:14pm
Nope but send Jengineer he swapped it with me for two decent working cart !
The cart before it went funny was best label I have ever seen.

Duncans his name !

yep, got the cart, many thanks for that, Been meaning to email you, I've got x2 MVS carts coming your way, just need your address matey, cheers, Duncan
Bonus Stage
Bonus Stage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermit_Cardboardhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2013 at 10:40pm
No worries, just thought I'd ask I've fixed a bunch of MVS carts by just going over solder joints doing a reflow. Sounds like what that faulty Shock Troopers needed.
venom View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote venom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2013 at 8:10am
Good to know as a find mvs carts a bit touch and go like my andro dunos and metal slug fine  when they are in  but put them in and out and sometimes a pain to get started again.

I now tend to leave themulti cart in as that works 100%, just cant save high scores.

Bonus Stage
Bonus Stage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermit_Cardboardhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2013 at 9:22am
Here's what I use to clean my MVS carts up really nice. You are going to need the following -

A new soft paint brush
Cottonbuds
A can of Servisol IPA170
A bottle of Sticky Stuff Remover
Kitchen paper
Meguiars Scratch X 2.0
Hot water
Washing up liquid
x2 Old Clean Toothbrushes

If you open the cart and take out the boards clean the edge connector with a little pea size blob of Scratch X on a paper towel and rub it. You will see the paper towel will go grey where you had rubbed it and the edge connector will be nice and shiny and clean, buff off excess till all the Scratch X has been polished into the edge connector.

You can also use Scratch X to polish up your MVS cartridge plastics after you have washed and dried them.

The Sticky stuff remover is great for getting rid of sticker and sticker residue.

Take your boards out your carts and wash the cart plastics before doing so with hot water and washing up liquid. If you want to replace labels because they are knackered just get some A4 sheets of printable paper off eBay and print off a new label using the pre-made ones off Jamma-X. Cut them out and stick then on your carts (after removing old label completely with Sticky Stuff Remover).

Use one toothbrush to clean in all the nooks and cranny's in the case especially the vents. Leave the cart plastics to drip dry, I usually put on a radiator.

Use the paint blush to gentle wipe any dust of the boards. Once free from dust use can use the IPA 170 on a cotton bud or on your other dry toothbrush to clean around the chips, don't use much pressure around some of the service mounted components as you might catch one and pull it off. You can dry off any excess IPA with another dry cotton bud and a bit more paper towel. Let the boards dry completely.

Your cart will be clean and ready to put back together. Scratch X works better on the edge connector than IPA on it's own, WD40 or even an eraser. I've tried loads of methods and Scratch X wins for me. The gentle abrasiveness and polishing properties of the Scratch X take off the tarnish and really bring the metal on the connector back to life. I do this with all my carts and they all work flawlessly this way.

I hope this info helps...someone! Wink
venom View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote venom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2013 at 8:41pm
I'll give it a go on ANDRO which has a nasty habit of this or green

Bonus Stage
Bonus Stage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermit_Cardboardhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2013 at 10:10pm
Give it a go bud, if a clean doesn't work it then probably is a dry solder joint. You would then need to break out the soldering iron, liquid flux and solder to do a bit of reflowing.
ne7! View Drop Down
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ne7! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2013 at 1:58pm
Isopropyl alchohol http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/500ml-IPA-Isopropyl-Alcohol-99-pure-FREE-POSTAGE-ISOPROPANOL-/271019176623 + q-tips - give the connectors a thorough scrubbing with both of those.

If its a really troublesome cart open it up and use a pencil eraser (the old white rubber ones) and give the connectors a good rub with it then repeat the isopropyl alchohol routine... 

Do leave em to dry for a bit - especially after using a rubbing method...

Works well for jamma boards + old console game carts too on the edge connectors :)

PS Do be careful using anything to abrasive to clean the edges as you can take it too far and looser boards won't like reading the cart info (folks were using sandpaper before and I've had to resolder pins that were worn through! :P)
ne7/triad
Bonus Stage
Bonus Stage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermit_Cardboardhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2013 at 12:29pm
People using sandpaper to clean edge connectors are bonkers! I hate to see the gold coating taken off an edge connector because some numpty used flippin' sandpaper. You are better off going to Halfords and getting a mild cutting compound, like Scratch X or T-Cut (T-Cut with added Wax I use) and put a little blob on a bit of kitchen paper and give your edge connector a rub with that. It will come up clean and shiny and play like a dream. Everyone's a winner. Wink
pcenginegaiden View Drop Down
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcenginegaiden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2014 at 9:16pm
I know this is an old thread but the best thing I've found for cleaning cart edges is dexoit it's expensive but tis so good!.

You can repair MVS carts i've repaired traces and replaced eeproms to get some working :)
venom View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote venom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2014 at 9:50am
Is that the sprays on ebay like this i.e £16 ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Caig-Deoxit-Contact-Lubrication-Cleaner-Protector-5-Spray-5-OZ-Brand-New-/181429325189?pt=UK_Musical_Cables_Leads_Connectors&hash=item2a3e07cd85

Might be selling some of my carts soon so would prefer to clean them up first.

FrancoB View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen
Plastic Fantastic, Loom Legend.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrancoB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2014 at 10:03am
I've always used Autosol for edge connectors as I always have some handy. Works great Smile
Bonus Stage
Bonus Stage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermit_Cardboardhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2014 at 10:48am
I recently had a problem with mutation nation where the graphics and sound were all mess up when I bought it. All the solder joints were good, and the edge connectors looked fine just a little dull. I used some T-Cut (the one with added wax) with kitchen paper and buffed up the edge connector till it was gleaming, plugged that sucker in and worked like a flipping treat. Honestly it is the best fix in my opinion, I have De-Oxit D5 and it is good on knobs and dials and connectors on monitors and volume sliders, but you need a bit more elbow grease for edge connectors. And this method hasn't failed me yet when the problem has simply been a impure contact.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic