Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > Computing & Online Gaming
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PC Rebooting Problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Kill Screen
Kill Screen
My Games

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewberwick06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2012 at 10:43pm
lol write it off :)
noz1380 View Drop Down
High Score
High Score
My Games

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noz1380 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 8:57am
I feel the same way, but it's a friends business computer and in the long run fixing it would be easier that setting up a new one.  But it's looking that way!!
Fixer of PCB's stored in marshes!!
andrewberwick06 View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen
My Games

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewberwick06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 12:15pm
have you tryed booting from a linux live cd ? 

ZedEx48K View Drop Down
Game Over
Game Over

My Games

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZedEx48K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 1:29pm
If it has more than 1 stick of memory try taking one out and booting up then the other and booting up, after that you are left the mobo being duff.
cosine View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen
My Games

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cosine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 1:36pm
I'm going to say motherboard too. RAM seldom causes random power offs, windows just behaves erratically. Check the caps on the motherboard, if any of them have started to expand and leak, then it's definately that.
If you can find a replacement motherboard with a similar chipset (£10-15 on feebay), then windows will survive the change, and carry on as normal.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my sanity the most.
noz1380 View Drop Down
High Score
High Score
My Games

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noz1380 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 1:56pm
Never thought of trying Linux, next plan I think.

2 dimms in dual channel, try single dimms alternaivly, nothing.
Lurch666 View Drop Down
Bonus Stage
Bonus Stage
My Games

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lurch666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 1:30pm
One more thing to try is resetting the BIOS using the jumper on the motherboard.Again it's a long shot as if it's a BIOS problem the machine usually won't boot at all but you aint got anything to lose.
You rang....
ZedEx48K View Drop Down
Game Over
Game Over

My Games

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZedEx48K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by Lurch666 Lurch666 wrote:

One more thing to try is resetting the BIOS using the jumper on the motherboard

UNPLUG IT FIRST! Safer to just pull the battery out.
noz1380 View Drop Down
High Score
High Score
My Games

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noz1380 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 1:45pm
Thanks guys but I just got fed up......told the guy his PC was buggered so he brought around his "Spare" this thing is OLD!!!  never seen a mobo with DDR1 dim slots and slots for PC100/133.

I gave up with this one too, thing boots and hangs, tried to boot from CD, cant even find the CD drive.  Calling it quits!!

He has one more in it's way, hopefully its no more than 5 years old!!

I dont know why I say I'll help!!!  Muggins!!
andyman View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen
6 buttons, it's a fruity
My Games

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 1:59pm
Have loads of old but working mobo's, what socket is it, you can have for the postage If I have one suitable

Andy. 

1980, I was there, many of you were not :)
noz1380 View Drop Down
High Score
High Score
My Games

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noz1380 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 2:20pm
Thanks buddy, but I've writen it off, i've got PCB's to fix!! Big smile
shagster View Drop Down
High Score
High Score
My Games

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 4:51pm
I bought a p4 computer on ebay that had a similar problem. It came with service pack 1, I updated it to service pack 2, thinking I was doing the right thing. Booted it up and the bios kept resetting the motherboard every 8/10 times. Luckily I found the bios update for the sp2 fault on the manufactures site and I got it to update, but that was a real bitch. 

Edited by shagster - 08 May 2012 at 5:01pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic