Forum Home Forum Home > General Arcade Chat > Arcade - General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Multi-Board review thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 31323334>
Author
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike_ul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2017 at 8:28pm
For anyone considering a Pandora's box/Game Elf etc. here is an alternative (possibly) worth considering.

I've been monitoring this thread for a while now since I've been contemplating getting one of the above for some time.

I've missed that arcade experience you only get when standing up at a cabinet.

I don't have the room for a proper full-size cab so I wanted to simulate the arcade experience as best as I could.

In fact, when analyzed, that is the primary difference when sitting down at your PC to play MAME
It's standing up with a joystick you can yank around against a cabinet that is part of the fun!

The problem with the devices above is that they are compromised in one form or another.

Here are some of the main downsides.

-1- They often don't contain all of the games that you want (they are a closed ECO system)
-2- They may contain bugs that are later fixed (in MAME or Final Burn). They are never updated.
-3- The sound in some games is often poor.
-4- The device is not always powerful enough to play some of the more demanding games.
-5- The games have been tampered with in some cases (I'm thinking 60-in-1 here).
-6- You are not always sure whether you are getting an original unit (there are numerous fake versions around).
-7- The settings such as vsync may not be set correctly.

The key item for me is -1-. Trying to get a unit that has *all* the titles you want is near impossible.

Anyway, whilst thinking about this issue and researching other units such as God Of Game etc. I had an idea.
Basically, all of the above are (relatively) low-powered ARM units.

So, why not a get a compact PC and hook that up instead?
After all, you can stick MAME on it and choose whatever games you want (or all of them!).

So, I set about researching compact PC's and there is a whole world of them out there!
Many are bare-bones (no hard drive, memory or OS) but a number are complete.

My thoughts were - exactly how powerful *are* these units?

Anyway, buying from Amazon direct I had buyer protection so nothing to lose.

As a proof-of-concept I purchased this for under £100

Bqeel Z83V Mini PC 
Intel Atom x5-Z8350 Processor
2GB DDR3
32GB eMMC 
Intel HD Graphics (4K)
1000Mbps LAN
VGA Port
Dual Band WiFi Integrated Antenna
HDMI 
Windows 10 Home Edition

(This device also comes with a plate to fit the unit on the back of the monitor).

This device is fully loaded and ready to rock - just add a 128 Gb SD card!

I already had a 17" panel - although I have got a couple of CRT's I use for retro-gaming. The panel would do for now.

In addition, I bought the following:

-1- Wireless Mouse, VicTsing 2.4G Slim £7
-2- Anker SoundCore Portable Bluetooth 4.0 Stereo Speaker with 24-Hour Playtime £30
-3- Rii K01X1 2.4 GHz Mini Wireless Keyboard ( I already had this ) £14
-4- Arcade joystick ( an old Logic 3 tri-format arcade stick I already had).

I placed the lot on top of a bedroom unit which was the nearest simulation to a cabinet I can get.
It works well, in that respect although I need to tidy it up!

Anyway, I shoved MAME onto the SD card and fired the system up.
As the OS is in memory, this is quick.
MAME takes about 30 seconds to fire up (not a good start I thought).

Initially, I tried something simple - Galaxian. Perfect.
I worked my way up from Gaplus, Scramble then Vimina. Amazing! All at 60FPS!
So, I gave it Space Harrier. 60 FPS again! In The Hunt - 60 FPS!

Right, let's give it Dangon Feveron. Incredible - 60 FPS again!

There has to be some games that run slow, surely? Yup. Ray Storm runs at about 20%
Ridge Racer typically 25-30%

But I think we can forgive it this as Game Elf Et Al are unlikely to be any better.
A massive majority of the games that I like ran at 60 FPS with perfect sound.

Anyway, this is just an *idea* for those thinking of going the Game Elf route that there is an alternative. If you swapped the Mini PC for Game Elf, say, you'd have much the same setup (at least for me).
It can certainly give better results and the sound is awesome!

If I had the space, I'd probably fit the lot inside a cab with a true arcade joystick.

Summary: This beat all of my expectations and I'm now enjoying my arcade sessions.
I may get a more powerful unit in the future together with a better joystick but for now, I'm happy.

See pictures.

Have fun!

okeyblokey View Drop Down
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote okeyblokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2017 at 1:55pm
Has anyone given the God Of Game 900 in 1 boards a whirl, yet? I noticed a couple of places online where it was listed with 'New high score save feature' whatever that means. Can anyone verify if this does save high scores for me? I'm really only interested in this for a few games, specifically Track & Field, Hyper Sports and '88 Games.
LewisGamer View Drop Down
Bonus Stage
Bonus Stage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LewisGamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2017 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by okeyblokey okeyblokey wrote:

Has anyone given the God Of Game 900 in 1 boards a whirl, yet? I noticed a couple of places online where it was listed with 'New high score save feature' whatever that means. Can anyone verify if this does save high scores for me? I'm really only interested in this for a few games, specifically Track & Field, Hyper Sports and '88 Games.

I've been given one recently, and it performs very well. so far, it's loads better than the pandoras box. Only issue is that it's VGA only (I think, only tried it in a cab with a 31khz monitor in it) Loads of the tearing you get with the pandora is gone, but... I do think frame skipping is turned on in some instances. overall though, it looks better so far. I'll update you when I've had more time with it. :)

Gamer Blackburn!
Indi. Game Store on Blackburn Market!
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote okeyblokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2017 at 8:34pm
Nice one. Looking forward to hearing about it.
LewisGamer View Drop Down
Bonus Stage
Bonus Stage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LewisGamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2017 at 11:59am
OK, spent quite a bit of time with it now, sadly it is VGA output only, and it won't work with any SLG out there, that I know of. Looks nice on my VGA arcade monitor though, but I'm a sucker for scan lines. Vert games play well on the horizontal screen. Just a damn shame you can't get it all runnung in native resolution on a 15khz monitor.

Most games run flawlessly. Some later CPS games have a little slow down (Pro Gear). I've not seen any screen tearing yet, although the games can be a little jumpy at times. not as smooth as an original board. This is down to the v-sync implementation on whatever emulator they are using. Overall though, I'm quite pleased with it. Not a patch on the Pi2jamma that I use most of the time, but the multi boxes are getting closer, although the lack of 15khz is a big step in the wrong direction.  

bottom line...

Way better than the Pandoras Box.
Stronger CPU in there.
Some stutter on some games.
Some slow down on later CPS.

Edited by LewisGamer - 08 October 2017 at 12:04pm
Gamer Blackburn!
Indi. Game Store on Blackburn Market!
Steveylou View Drop Down
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steveylou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2017 at 12:47pm
I've seen a few YouTube videos crop up this week of people playing around with the Pandora's Box 5. It has nearly 900 games but it caught my eye because one of the new games is Space Harrier

I've haven't really seen them for sale yet (although I haven't looked in detail). Has anyone come across one?
jlz View Drop Down
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2017 at 1:10am
The pandoras box 5 is out now on aliexpress, 960 in one. Currently just under £100, but no reviews or videos of it, so I don't think I'll take the plunge just yet.

I'd be very interested to know how it stacks up against the God of Game (I think both are advertised as quad core)
Steveylou View Drop Down
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steveylou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2017 at 2:51am
Ah cool! Yeah I'm going to hold off for a little while too. I'd heard some suggestion that the PB5 is VGA / HDMI only which will be no good for my old ass cab. Also Space Harrier doesn't seem to be on the list of included games despite being in the videos I've seen Cry

To make up for it though OutRun, SCI, NBA Jam and G-LOC are listed Smile
jlz View Drop Down
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2017 at 3:07pm
I've noticed that the 5 has taito f3 games on it. That's the first for one of these multi board, as far as I know.

Might play like garbage of course
jlz View Drop Down
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2017 at 6:42pm
There's now a gameplay video of the pandora 5 on youtube. It looks like outrun plays pretty well.

Now I'm more tempted!
Steveylou View Drop Down
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steveylou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2017 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by jlz jlz wrote:

There's now a gameplay video of the pandora 5 on youtube. It looks like outrun plays pretty well.

Now I'm more tempted!

Yeah OutRun looked really good. I thought at first it was running a little slowly but I don't think the guy switched gears LOL

The speed problem with Mortal Kombat from the 4S+ looked fixed. G-LOC also ran really well and I didn't see any tearing issues. Just a shame it's HD only as I can't use it in my old CRT cabs Cry
bytestorm View Drop Down
Bonus Stage
Bonus Stage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bytestorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2017 at 7:31pm
its getting there!

Edit.. man i think i need to buy one. It acruelly looks like it's running good.

Anyone tried it yet?

Edited by bytestorm - 08 November 2017 at 12:16pm
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote okeyblokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2017 at 3:01pm
Yeah, that looks more like it. Also, the boot sequence isn't as annoying (or long!) as the 4S.

What they really need to sort out is the high score saving; I'd order right now.
jlz View Drop Down
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2017 at 4:22pm
It's due to be reduced for 11.11 sale on Aliexpress so I might just order it.

Still over £80 though. A bit steep for something that will probably be £50 in a few months
neoyagami View Drop Down
Insert Coin
Insert Coin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neoyagami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2017 at 9:54pm
Hi there has anyone had any success running ketsui on the god of game box? And since I'm asking streetfighter 3 third strike or Psikyo games. Does anyone know if the run faster/smoother on Pandora 5 and God of game?
bones View Drop Down
High Score Ref
High Score Ref

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2017 at 2:02am
Shit phone camera videos - King Of Air 3A, Bee Storm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLWm26ptwAM&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzcPC8JoI4k&feature=youtu.be

Edited by bones - 25 November 2017 at 2:28am
Mantamuzza View Drop Down
Insert Coin
Insert Coin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mantamuzza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2017 at 4:24am
I have been eyeing this board off as well, can only seem to find one seller selling them?

I am trying to decide between this and the arcade blaster (cocktail version)

https://www.mygamesroom.com.au/shop/arcade-blaster/

I would like the function for the screen to flip as I have a horizontal cocktail but having the games run better is priority

Has anyone had any experience with the arcade blaster?

I currently have the 760 in 1 game elf

Cheers
Mantamuzza View Drop Down
Insert Coin
Insert Coin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mantamuzza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2017 at 4:29am
I have the 750 game elf, had not tried any hacks yet but might give it a go
wizbiscuit View Drop Down
Bonus Stage
Bonus Stage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wizbiscuit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2017 at 6:35pm
does it have game hi score saves though, thats always been the thing that puts me off...
Check out my YouTube channel "Back in Time Sime" - https://www.youtube.com/c/BackinTimeSime
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote okeyblokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2017 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by wizbiscuit wizbiscuit wrote:

does it have game hi score saves though, thats always been the thing that puts me off...

Me too. So I’ve bitten the bullet and ordered the God Of Game cart to try. When it comes, I’ll get it installed then let you know whether it does or doesn’t save scores.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 31323334>
  Share Topic