Forum Home Forum Home > General Arcade Chat > UK Highscores
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2012 Highscore Challenge-Round 4-Closed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Official Porchy fan club member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ben76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2012 at 12:08am
I know mate it as if I've lost my 'wiggle' EmbarrassedLOL
I Porchy
muddymusic View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2012 at 8:25am
Nice score there, you must have had a really good run of gold, I'm not done yet though Wink

Bubble Bobble Twin Galaxies Official Score 6,060,730, Rainbow Islands 9,999,990, Road Fighter 1,174,510.
witchfinder View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote witchfinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2012 at 9:57am
Nice scores, but they pretty much render everyone else's attempts pointless... I was going to have a go this weekend but don't think I can be bothered now as even a score of over 100k (which would presumably take at least 30-60 mins effort) is only going to be worth a measly 3%
The 100k Challenge - 40 Arcade Classics. 2 MAME Cabs. 1 Average Gamer.

frothmeister View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frothmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2012 at 10:14am
Exactly why I won't be bothering with any games that take a long time to play
PM ME FOR INFO ON MULTI-GAME PCBS/CARTS FOR SALE AT LOWER THAN EVER PRICES FOR J+ MEMBERS. I NOW HAVE - 60-1 VERT, 19-1 HORI, 138-1 HORI, 412-1 VERT, 512-1 HORI, PANDORAS BOX2,120-1 & 161-1 MVS CARTS
Shark™ View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shark™ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2012 at 4:19pm
its a shame you feel that way guys.. you do get two weeks ro learn the game and there are tips and videos available to help you. this is not a hard game by any means. all you got to do is learn how best to use what you've got to play with. its just two buttons and a four way joystick, no trickery,, i can see your point if we're asked to learn a game like defender with mind boggling controls.. .  
if you have no motivation to learn the game(s) and commit to the high score "challenge"..why bother with any of them?

i spent many evenings and hundreds of credits on the last game (kyokyu tiger) trying to get a decent score despite it was a futile attempt due to the monster highscore.. in the end i did master the 1st level, but time ran out for the score submission preventing further progress..and i pulled my own hair out with the other two games too and finally submitting a low% score....

the spirit of the highscore challenge is about pushing yourself into and learning/discovering new games you would not otherwise play, sure, every game will likely have a top scorer- all part of the "challenge" its the taking part that matters. 

if you cannot 1cc this particular game to score well, you can still score millions of points.. the mame highscore on this game is 26million, at least 24million of that score of acheived before the 1 credit completion/before even going to see the last boss.

final word..

if you cannot get anywhere near the top scores, find your competition in trying to beat the guy in front of you..  you never know- come the last game in the challenge.. you may count on that 1 or 2 % that you couldn't be bothered to even try..

game on!Thumbs Up
ᘓ❗#?ᘒ❗
Don't think!... Feel
We can take this boat...
ben76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ben76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2012 at 7:53pm
I just like playing games that I've either forgot/not played in a while or have never played before. Score... meh thats second playing games is the main thing for me. Looking at the amount of people in this high score thingy everyone may get a chance to pick a game so there's their chance to score high.
- Ben
I Porchy
stevearcade View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen
6-Button Basher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevearcade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2012 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by TheSharkfactor TheSharkfactor wrote:

its a shame you feel that way guys.. you do get two weeks ro learn the game and there are tips and videos available to help you. this is not a hard game by any means. all you got to do is learn how best to use what you've got to play with. its just two buttons and a four way joystick, no trickery,, i can see your point if we're asked to learn a game like defender with mind boggling controls.. .  
if you have no motivation to learn the game(s) and commit to the high score "challenge"..why bother with any of them?

if you cannot get anywhere near the top scores, find your competition in trying to beat the guy in front of you..  you never know- come the last game in the challenge.. you may count on that 1 or 2 % that you couldn't be bothered to even try..

I think everyone here has a valid point.

My reading of the situation is that this is a good game. A great game even, from a collection of great games that is the Wonder Boy series. I feel like this is more a console game than arcade game due to its nature and length. But nevertheless, this is certainly a game that one could get lost in over the course of weeks or months.

What I imagine it lacks for a number of us here is that instant gratification. The 90 second shoot-fest where you rack up 200,000 points between each sip of your tea or pull on your fag. Juno First this isn't.

But that's not the end of the world. This tournament would be very dull if all the games were similar like that.

And with all the games so far, there have been videos/youtube clips and tips etc that we can take advice from.

However for me (I really hope I can explain this right) this game feels very much like there is only really one way to do. SharkFactor says it's an easy game, learn the video... But that makes the video more like homework and the guides and tips become more like a paint-by-numbers than suggestions and advice on how you could play the game. I'm sure something along these lines is possibly putting off some people too. Add to that SharkFactor's an absolute don at this game Wink.

But as SharkFactor rightly says, if you want a challenge, try to beat his score. Bring it on! Take it to the man, etc. It's simple really. This is the high-score challenge and if you wanna take it seriously, you should enter as many rounds as possible, as at the end of it all that 2% or 3% could mean the difference between 1st or 2nd at the end of the year.

That said, if your time is precious, you may wanna punt 45 minutes zapping shit and find you have a competitive score as opposed to spending 45 minutes watching a video and then trying to copy it.

It's swings and round-abouts for sure this one. But I think this game is certainly causing a quiet stir and putting off as many people as it's attracting, which I never quite foresaw. Let's see how it plays out though, we still have six days left of Wonder Boy madness. Anything could happen Smile.

Thumbs Up
Put that in your PCB test rig and smoke it!
frothmeister View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frothmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2012 at 10:14pm
Guys I completely understand what you're saying. The challenge would definitely be boring if all of the games were similar.

I have nothing against this game or other games (Tumblepop springs to mind) the thing is they just take far too long to play a game of imo.

My main problem is the lack of time I have to put in. After dealing with everything else I have to do in a day, I generally don't get more than an hour's play every other night at most on my games. Usually nothing at all at weekends.

So if the challenge is a game which I do not know reasonably well or I can't pick up completely in about half an hour then I figure it's not worth wasting my precious time if I think it's unlikely I will be able to get a decent score at the end of the 2 weeks.

I also have 8 dedicated cabs as well as my 2 MAME cabs so I do like to try and get some use out of those as well in the little time I do get. Sometimes I do wonder if it's worth me having them all as they see such little use most of the time, but I just can't bring myself to part with any of them now. I keep telling myself I will have more time when the kids are a bit older, that's when I can really make the most of them.

PM ME FOR INFO ON MULTI-GAME PCBS/CARTS FOR SALE AT LOWER THAN EVER PRICES FOR J+ MEMBERS. I NOW HAVE - 60-1 VERT, 19-1 HORI, 138-1 HORI, 412-1 VERT, 512-1 HORI, PANDORAS BOX2,120-1 & 161-1 MVS CARTS
Shark™ View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shark™ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2012 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by frothmeister frothmeister wrote:

..the thing is they just take far too long to play a game of imo.

My main problem is the lack of time I have to put in... ..I keep telling myself I will have more time when the kids are a bit older, that's when I can really make the most of them.

..im sure we all completely understand that. i sometimes forget that not everyone has a child free home..Embarrassed.

in hindsight, perhaps this was not the best game to choose for the challenge due to its length and the time it takes to rack up a score.

ᘓ❗#?ᘒ❗
Don't think!... Feel
We can take this boat...
chuckiepie View Drop Down
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckiepie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2012 at 12:16am
Feel like made a good step forward on this now. Doubled my previous score and beaten the knight twice in a row now. I'm kind of starting to get into it a bit more but couldnt stomach more than three shots in a night. I find the progression very slow.
Shark™ View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shark™ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2012 at 10:27pm
i have absolutley destroyed this game..it will yield to me, this game is no match for thesharkfactor.

a straight game with no point pressing (no looping level12 to boost my score like those endurance testers on twin galaxies with the 24million+ socres)..

this is how i did it..

having punished the game before with legend upgrades (expensive and gold = points), the only way to better my score was to-- not spend so much..

80 boots 
40 shield
380 boots
150 armour

that was my total spend on equiptment. no legend armour.. thats over half a million points (over 540gold) saved on armour alone. only other things i bought was whirlwind magics and had three health stops.
killing a couple of the bosses twice gave full health, few dropped red hearts by enemies for more full health.. the odd stop a bar when i was desperate.. avoided some enemies when i had low energy. picked up a shield upgrade from an enemy, (had to avoid a dropped heavy armour- ice skates, would have ruined the game). finally, i had a great stock of whirlwinds when i got to the pyramid, almost every hidden coin/bag of gold gave 68points. i must have lifted near 1000 gold from the pyramid!

i think its time for me to start playing this game on the dips on hard.. LOL

Edited by TheSharkfactor - 24 February 2012 at 10:34pm
ᘓ❗#?ᘒ❗
Don't think!... Feel
We can take this boat...
stevearcade View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen
6-Button Basher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevearcade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2012 at 10:36pm
Wow!
Put that in your PCB test rig and smoke it!
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2012 at 10:37pm
Wow that's some score, 4000 gold at the end must be close to the maximum in the game!
Well played sir Smile

Bubble Bobble Twin Galaxies Official Score 6,060,730, Rainbow Islands 9,999,990, Road Fighter 1,174,510.
Shark™ View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shark™ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2012 at 11:15pm
cheers!..
i wonder just how much more can be squeezed out it.. i remeber when i posted my highscore on youtube, a guy mailed me saying he had scored over 4million and could "woop" my as$.. now i know how he did it.. and i think i just wooped his as$ .. lol..
ᘓ❗#?ᘒ❗
Don't think!... Feel
We can take this boat...
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2012 at 6:17pm
Bit better, ended with a few more golds this time. Still up for a few more goes yet.
Doesn't matter how many runs through I have, always get some random things like big hearts dropped and thunder instead of whirlwinds dropped to affect the score at the end.

singy1uk View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote singy1uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2012 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by TheSharkfactor TheSharkfactor wrote:

i have absolutley destroyed this game..it will yield to me, this game is no match for thesharkfactor.

a straight game with no point pressing (no looping level12 to boost my score like those endurance testers on twin galaxies with the 24million+ socres)..

this is how i did it..

having punished the game before with legend upgrades (expensive and gold = points), the only way to better my score was to-- not spend so much..

80 boots 
40 shield
380 boots
150 armour

that was my total spend on equiptment. no legend armour.. thats over half a million points (over 540gold) saved on armour alone. only other things i bought was whirlwind magics and had three health stops.
killing a couple of the bosses twice gave full health, few dropped red hearts by enemies for more full health.. the odd stop a bar when i was desperate.. avoided some enemies when i had low energy. picked up a shield upgrade from an enemy, (had to avoid a dropped heavy armour- ice skates, would have ruined the game). finally, i had a great stock of whirlwinds when i got to the pyramid, almost every hidden coin/bag of gold gave 68points. i must have lifted near 1000 gold from the pyramid!

i think its time for me to start playing this game on the dips on hard.. LOL

That's a score and a half well done Thumbs Up 
same goes to olly too Thumbs Up

Mark.
Shark™ View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shark™ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2012 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by muddymusic muddymusic wrote:

Bit better, ended with a few more golds this time. Still up for a few more goes yet.
Doesn't matter how many runs through I have, always get some random things like big hearts dropped and thunder instead of whirlwinds dropped to affect the score at the end.

that is a top score.. you must have had about 2300 gold at the end(?).. well done..! give it a try without buying legend armounr.. tip: if you buy the 60 armour, an enemy will probably drop a 150 armour. potential saving of around 700 coins.. that would get you up to 3.8million for a start.

playing without legend armour is no big deal ive found.. projectiles take a full heart, bumps and scrapes with enemies take a quarter to half a heart.. no huge difference!

Edited by TheSharkfactor - 25 February 2012 at 8:59pm
ᘓ❗#?ᘒ❗
Don't think!... Feel
We can take this boat...
felgekarp View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote felgekarp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2012 at 12:38pm
chuckiepie View Drop Down
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckiepie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2012 at 5:00pm
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2012 at 9:57am
2 days to go and only 8 scores - get some more in chaps Smile

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
  Share Topic