Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade Technical and Restoration > Repair Logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Capcom Commando

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grobda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Capcom Commando
    Posted: 21 August 2011 at 2:03pm

As mentioned on another thread, thought I'd put it here too for posterity;

PCB had sprites missing, played blind, odd lines here and there looked like remainder of sprite data.

Checked schematics found 2 2114 'object rams' at 1A and 2A, output pins looked weak on scope. Replaced these rams and sprites came back, but missing alternate lines;

found another two pages of schematics for object control, and another 4 2114 rams (3H,4H,3J,4J) as mentioned on this repair log - http://www.jammarcade.net/?p=1260

swapped these and now the game works. decided to do them all, as its hard to determine which is causing the problem, plus if ones bad the rest might follow.

Edited by grobda - 21 August 2011 at 2:03pm
EQUITES View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EQUITES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2011 at 2:47pm
Cool, missing or partial sprites are usually down to RAM on the lower board on Commando, usually caused by overvoltage if more than one RAM is bad.  Great work and thanks for sharing.

Edited by Equites - 21 August 2011 at 2:49pm
Beaps View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beaps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2012 at 12:02am

My board also seems to have the same issue, are these the 2 chips you are taliking about on the top board?

You need a CoinOps 6 Xbox Console, ready to go, drop me a PM.
(.Y.) My YouTube Channel / Twitter - @Beaps73 (.Y.)
andyman View Drop Down
Thin Ice
Thin Ice
6 buttons, it's a fruity

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2012 at 12:17am
Nope, they're 74138's decoder logic
EQUITES View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EQUITES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2012 at 12:20am
...and the one above that is a multiplexer. You are looking for a 18 pinned IC, should be marked 2114.
Sheesh! - A word used to express mild annoyance or disappointment, as used by Kermit The Frog, a character on the children's television program "Sesame Street".
andyman View Drop Down
Thin Ice
Thin Ice
6 buttons, it's a fruity

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2012 at 12:21am
Haha, I saw two 138's
grobda View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grobda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2012 at 12:22am
All the 2114s mentioned are on the bottom board
Beaps View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beaps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2012 at 12:30am
Ok I will have another look, thanks
Beaps View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beaps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2012 at 1:00am
I think I got em. Are they an easy chip to find & replace?

grobda View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grobda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2012 at 9:50am
those are them, as mentioned before theres also a bank of them in the center-ish of the pcb. check the data i/o lines; a probe might tell you, a scope will tell you. i got my last lot of 2114s off ebay.

vib_ribbon View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vib_ribbon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2012 at 11:18am
can i ask a question specifically about weak signals?

can a probe indicate this kind of symptom? because sometimes when probing, the hi/lo LED displays a dimmer light than normal. is that considered a weak signal? and is that considered a fault on the IC or is there a reason for this?
Please don't sell me anymore stuff!
Games fixed: 001 (green beret) 002 (ikari warriors) 003 (victory road) 004 (sfz2) 005 (double dragon) 006 (final fight) 007 (sky shark) 008 (ninja turtles)
EQUITES View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EQUITES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2012 at 11:56am
Originally posted by vib_ribbon vib_ribbon wrote:

can i ask a question specifically about weak signals?

can a probe indicate this kind of symptom? because sometimes when probing, the hi/lo LED displays a dimmer light than normal. is that considered a weak signal? and is that considered a fault on the IC or is there a reason for this?

A probe is no good for testing RAMs in-circuit.  Pretty much all I use them for is to look for floating pins.  A scope will show you if the signal is clean or mashed, a probe will not.

The problem with RAMs is that they will go on and try to operate till the end, just not within spec anymore.
Sheesh! - A word used to express mild annoyance or disappointment, as used by Kermit The Frog, a character on the children's television program "Sesame Street".
EQUITES View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EQUITES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2012 at 11:58am
Originally posted by Beaps Beaps wrote:

Andys-Arcade has them in stock;

How is your soldering?
vib_ribbon View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vib_ribbon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2012 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by Equites Equites wrote:

A probe is no good for testing RAMs in-circuit.  Pretty much all I use them for is to look for floating pins.  A scope will show you if the signal is clean or mashed, a probe will not.

The problem with RAMs is that they will go on and try to operate till the end, just not within spec anymore.

thanks for that answer.

i looked a little further into dim lights.

Types of faults:

1.     Open output in driving gate:-

Symptom:- a loss of signal to all gates, Bad floating level, Logic probe light will be “dim”.

Please don't sell me anymore stuff!
Games fixed: 001 (green beret) 002 (ikari warriors) 003 (victory road) 004 (sfz2) 005 (double dragon) 006 (final fight) 007 (sky shark) 008 (ninja turtles)
Beaps View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beaps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2012 at 12:26pm

How is your soldering?

Thanks for this info mate.

How is your soldering? LOL 

Never done it before....Ouch 

EQUITES View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EQUITES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2012 at 12:28pm

How is your soldering?

Thanks for this info mate.

How is your soldering? LOL 

Never done it before....Ouch 

In that case I strongly recommend that you send the PCB to someone who can, or you WILL damage the PCB.
lhantz View Drop Down
High Score
High Score

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhantz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 6:32pm
This problem seems to happen a lot with Commando, I would recommend anyone wishing to purchase it, to consider the bootleg version
grobda View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grobda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by lhantz lhantz wrote:

This problem seems to happen a lot with Commando, I would recommend anyone wishing to purchase it, to consider the bootleg version

bootleg has the same problem
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic