Forum Home Forum Home > Start Here > Forum Rules
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trading Ethics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Lucky Geezer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjbaines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2012 at 10:52am
Originally posted by Runik Runik wrote:

What's the purpose of having rules then ? If the poster uses the section in a way that's not intended, and can knowingly lead to break the rules, to me that guy is as guilty as those sending PMs on the valuation section ...

I agree, they are.

The rules are to let people know that this isn't how it's meant to be used, but people don't always follow rules.  But this would happen a lot more if the rules didn't exist.

But you're right about one thing : there's currently no way to have a "make me an offer" topic Wink

Well this is the key issue. 
There's no such thing because site policy is that inviting offers is seen as bad, because newbies can get fleeced.

This is why for sale posts without a clear price get jumped on, because it's a way of inviting offers.

Wanted: Robotron CP+Sticks for Euro machine.
ZedEx48K View Drop Down
Game Over
Game Over

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZedEx48K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2012 at 11:14am
I also think this unfairly happened to someone in the wanted section, asked for a game and when someone said they had it another member basically stole that from under their nose..... Ouch
vib_ribbon View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vib_ribbon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2012 at 11:22am
RE: PM with offers.

I don't think you can stop it. If you look at the wider picture, just the fact that I have all my games listed on the database, anyone can come and make me an offer on any one of my games even though they are not listed as for sale. If they make me an offer that I can't refuse, then that's great for me obviously, but if I was to get a ton of silly offers on a regular basis, then of course that will get on my tits.

However, in the recent event where someone said, "Hang on, I made you an offer on that yesterday" when the game was still under the valuation section, I don't think the seller is obliged to consider this a valid offer because it wasn't for sale at the time.
Please don't sell me anymore stuff!
Games fixed: 001 (green beret) 002 (ikari warriors) 003 (victory road) 004 (sfz2) 005 (double dragon) 006 (final fight) 007 (sky shark) 008 (ninja turtles)
TheGecko View Drop Down
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheGecko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2012 at 11:53am
Originally posted by vib_ribbon vib_ribbon wrote:

However, in the recent event where someone said, "Hang on, I made you an offer on that yesterday" when the game was still under the valuation section, I don't think the seller is obliged to consider this a valid offer because it wasn't for sale at the time.

Problem is, some sellers may well consider it a valid offer, meaning it never actually reaches the For Sale section. Certainly, in my (brief) time here I've seen PCB's in the valuation section and I've thought 'I fancy that, I wonder if I should make an offer... oh right, I can't'. Problem is, I'll never know if someone else did through PM's, and the sale went through under the radar.

I'm not sure how it could be stopped, though. So not really helping much here, sorry Embarrassed
Looking for broken/repairable/untested PCB's : PM me!
vib_ribbon View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vib_ribbon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2012 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by TheGecko TheGecko wrote:

Problem is, some sellers may well consider it a valid offer, meaning it never actually reaches the For Sale section.

i don't have an answer neither. Cry But yes, they may well do, but they are not obliged to.

might be a case of self regulation for the sellers.
Please don't sell me anymore stuff!
Games fixed: 001 (green beret) 002 (ikari warriors) 003 (victory road) 004 (sfz2) 005 (double dragon) 006 (final fight) 007 (sky shark) 008 (ninja turtles)
subcon959 View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subcon959 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2012 at 2:29pm
I don't think there have been too many problems so far so it seems to work alright. The site is small enough for us to have fairly informal rules for now.
tb Lilley View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb Lilley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2012 at 1:43pm
I'm not sure I see the problem here. I can understand people getting a bit annoyed if they see something in valuations that they would like to buy, only for it to never come up for sale. But if you see someone asking for a valuation then offer one: "I value x at £y - because that is the price I would be prepared to pay today to buy one." Odds are if the price meets the seller's expectations then you'll get a PM ..
If you get a PM back saying `member z has offered me £x+1' - then report both buyer and seller.

Now, I don't know if that's against the rules or not - but it's probably better than what used to happen which was sellers not giving a price and instead using this place as an auction site (playing potential buyers off against each other in order to extract maximum cash return) - which I detest.
omarcus86 View Drop Down
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omarcus86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2012 at 11:13am
Looks straight forward
ZedEx48K View Drop Down
Game Over
Game Over

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZedEx48K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2012 at 11:18am
There was a valuation thread recently where PM's were sent even before a price was attained and then put for sale, but nothing became of the actions. 
dsyde View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2012 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by ZedEx48K ZedEx48K wrote:

There was a valuation thread recently where PM's were sent even before a price was attained and then put for sale, but nothing became of the actions. 

Dood all the staff here do the very best they can. It's a busy site and sometimes things get missed. If you spot something please always feel free to use the report function. This function emails ALL the staff straight away and will in most cases make sure something gets done about it.

D
Wanted:Ordyne, X Multiply, any CPS2 Phoenixed or not, Rainbow Islands, New Zealand Story, CPS 1 Anything
ZedEx48K View Drop Down
Game Over
Game Over

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZedEx48K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2012 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by dsyde dsyde wrote:

Dood all the staff here do the very best they can. It's a busy site and sometimes things get missed. If you spot something please always feel free to use the report function. This function emails ALL the staff straight away and will in most cases make sure something gets done about it.

D

I wasn't complaining about the admins, it was a thread where people were leaving 'I've PM'd you' posts even though they clearly know better., and while I am commenting about people doing it mailing about it feels like 'snitching to teacher' LOL
dsyde View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2012 at 8:26pm

D

I wasn't complaining about the admins, it was a thread where people were leaving 'I've PM'd you' posts even though they clearly know better., and while I am commenting about people doing it mailing about it feels like 'snitching to teacher' LOL

Just use the report button. All reports are confidential.
Wanted:Ordyne, X Multiply, any CPS2 Phoenixed or not, Rainbow Islands, New Zealand Story, CPS 1 Anything
ben76 View Drop Down
Official Porchy fan club member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ben76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2012 at 10:16pm

Please feel free to reply with comments. Our team wants to hear from you.

D
I just read that bit as "We're here to believe you" from Ghostbusters LOL
- Ben
I Porchy
river9999uk View Drop Down
Dev Team
Dev Team
A sledge hammer is a repair tool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote river9999uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2012 at 10:22pm
When your seeing trades...and they don't look good...how ya gonna call? ADMINBUSTERS!!! sorry could not resist it.
tb2000 View Drop Down
Not scared of LOPT's

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2012 at 11:43am
Originally posted by river9999uk river9999uk wrote:

When your seeing trades...and they don't look good...how ya gonna call? ADMINBUSTERS!!! sorry could not resist it.
LOL
Currently looking for: Ridge Racer PCB set (or Rom set), maybe a B+W game pcb of some sort :)
Arthursleep View Drop Down
Game Over
Game Over

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arthursleep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2012 at 6:11pm
What should I do IF I know another member is trying to push me out of an already settled deal?

Just for arguments sake, say that a deal had been struck and details swapped but then a third party muscles in and tries to null and void the deal? makes seller an offer to void the already done deal.

Should I just move on and accept it or is that considered reprehensibly bad forum etiquette?

This is just a "what if"...

Thanks

ZedEx48K View Drop Down
Game Over
Game Over

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZedEx48K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2012 at 6:16pm
Well I guess that would be our deal, aside from if it is, I would say you have 'virtually' shook hands on the deal, as you have said it is settled and would be crappy to let the other party down, the 3rd party if they know all this is just a cn*t! ;)

Edited by ZedEx48K - 03 July 2012 at 6:20pm
Arthursleep View Drop Down
Game Over
Game Over

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arthursleep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2012 at 6:26pm
No mate not our deal.

I did wonder if you would think that after I posted this. Sorry for confusion.
Mods: There are no problems between me and ZedEx48k
LukeWells View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen
Arcade UK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LukeWells Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2012 at 6:31pm
If someone is trying to be underhand then they should be shamed
dragonv480 View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragonv480 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2012 at 6:35pm
I think this is fairly straight forward...  If the person you have struck the deal with is genuine, anyone trying to gazump or interfere would be ineffectual in the attempt, so whilst it's not cricket, no harm done.

HOWEVER, if the gazumper WAS successful, then it shows the SELLER up to be unreliable, and they should be shamed alongside the gazumper IMHO.

All of that is assuming there is a genuine and verifyable audit trail of the intial agreement.  I'd hate people to be "shamed" on the basis of an accusation alone (would NOT happen here!!!)

Gaz Wilson, JAMMA+ Chief Idler
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/thehorsedentist
Got Horses? -
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
  Share Topic