Forum Home Forum Home > General Arcade Chat > Arcade Reports
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Leeds - Mill Hill Amusements

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superpacman1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leeds - Mill Hill Amusements
    Posted: 28 August 2009 at 3:49pm
Anyone on here know what happened to the Defender machine that the guy here had had lots of offers for?

The place itself is now closed, with no signs of life. In the 90's up until about '02 this place had the aforemention Defender, and quite a few other classic Jamma cabs.  Hell, it even appeared in an episode of ITV's A Touch of Frost.

I know about 3 years ago it was changed into one of those awful fruity machine exclusive places, which must have killed it (if it wasn't already dying), but did anyone on here eventually get to pick up the Defender machine?

Edited by superpacman1972
dsyde View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2009 at 5:44pm

I used to frequent this place, but have not been to Leeds for some time. I seem to remember a Pacman Cabaret too.

D

JOIN THE C.C.G Buying/Selling Group On Facebook, for anything Retro and Console Gaming.
dsyde View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2009 at 6:07pm

Also, not too far away from Mill Hill, a place known as Centre Four. Anyone remember of have pictures of that place? Spent many a Friday night in there. It had just about everything you could want. Bar, Laser Quest, Vids N Pins, Bowling, Pool.

Good Times

D

JOIN THE C.C.G Buying/Selling Group On Facebook, for anything Retro and Console Gaming.
Jase View Drop Down
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2009 at 9:51pm

Eyup Jools, how ya doin?

I bought that PacMan cabaret years ago for the nice sum of 60.

I went in and asked to speak to the manager in view of buying some machines off him. He asked which I was interested in, and I said the pac and Defender. He asked how much I was offering, and I told him the going rate, 50

He said, well the Defender's not for sale as it's his favourite game ever, but I could take the Pac with a duff monitor for 60. Bought it on the spot!

All it needed was a cap replacement and I played the crap out of it. Even got the BBC round to mine to film it for the series 'I Love The 80's'.

I sold it years later as I decided to restrict my collection to full size uprights - and yes I now have a full size PacMan cab!

Thinking back he also offered me an original Assault machine, and a couple of JAMMAs for the same price. Not my cup of tea though.

My GF used to go to Centre 4 loads too - she says it was top in there too, unfortunately I never experienced it

Jase

pmposse View Drop Down
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmposse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2010 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by dsyde dsyde wrote:

Also, not too far away from Mill Hill, a place known as Centre Four. Anyone remember of have pictures of that place? Spent many a Friday night in there. It had just about everything you could want. Bar, Laser Quest, Vids N Pins, Bowling, Pool.

Good Times

D

Yo, I loved that place, went there quite a bit I'm sad that it closed it did have a lot of cool stuff.

I also loved the fact that the laser quest was actually called 'The MegaZone'.

It had a wicked 6 player 3D space shooter with a massive projector screen, that was well doss.

MatteeP View Drop Down
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MatteeP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2010 at 11:50am
Hi to all, reading this post brought back some memories for me. The one Leeds arcade not mentioned though was the "starlight room" at the bottom of briggate. Nowdays it appears to be a sex shop (ive only seen it from the outside.....honest Wink). I used to frequent the starlight in 85 86 every saturday and as many week eves as possible. They had a few cabs over the years such as Gauntlet 1 then 2, supersprint, asteroids and im sure i can remember a xybots and a roadrunner in there. I think the fruit machines took over the arcade eventually and then it closed in the late 90s. Ah......happy memories of walking home because id spent my bus fare on games...again.LOL M.  found an old picture of the rooms in 79 at- http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?resourceIdentifier=2005119_20698183. im sorry im no good at links. Hope it works. Just out of interest i can see a space invader on the right of the window. Whats the other cab? If you can guess right please go to the sex shop to collect your prize in person.Shocked
dsyde View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2010 at 11:56am
Neat picture , I've blown it up a bit but as you can see it starts to lose a lot of quality. Can anyone ID the cab on  the left?

MatteeP View Drop Down
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MatteeP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2010 at 12:02pm
Thanks Dsyde, thats a bit better. The cab seems to have a centipede type creature on the side but has a gun mounted on it. I dunno... Confused. Looks like im not gonna be able to claim my prize. DAM!Cry
Russ J View Drop Down
High Score
High Score

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Russ J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2012 at 11:43pm
I used to go into Mill Hill amusements as a kid but mainly it was the Starlight i preferred.Both arcades were owned by the same guy as far as i no.I remember the Starlight first getting their Pacman machine in it was impossible to get on it as it was that popular.

It was mainly video games in the shop window area and the fruit machines down either side of the arcade (i'm talking about the Starlight now) and fruit machines down each side of the place.The change 'cubicle' was in the middle of the place.They were the first place to get Dragons Lair in Leeds and it was the Cinamatronics version with the digital scoreboard.It was 30p a go and when you got so far through the game you had to put another 30p to continue (robbing gets LOL).The Starwars they had there was an upright and was played to death by me and my matesLOL...

The Defender machine that the Mill Hill had had a knackered 'Thrust' and 'Reverse' buttons and it was a prat to play,they must have had it set on the most difficult setting as i could just about reach 100,000 points on the thing (way below my highest score)
chowyunfatt View Drop Down
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chowyunfatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2012 at 10:27am
Originally posted by dsyde dsyde wrote:

Good Times

D

Used to go to Center Four every Monday night around 1993 to play Virtua Racing, Ridge Racer and Daytona link up with a couple of mates, was a right laugh.

Then the consoles came out that were better than arcade games and arcades started to die :(

Also used to go to Storey's in Leeds around 88 to 94 at least 3 times a week, loved that place before it became a fruit machine only place. Also the other arcade places in Leeds were Penny Arcade, a bit of a bump but good fun. Merrion Center Bowl, remember playing Road Runner in there LOL.

2ombieboy View Drop Down
Kill Screen
Kill Screen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ombieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2012 at 5:35pm
Is this the one near the shoping center that had the red and gold lettering on the sign?
Russ J View Drop Down
High Score
High Score

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Russ J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2012 at 7:50pm
Storeys is on Kirkgate just opposite the Market,

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=leeds&hl=en&ll=53.796247,-1.538622&spn=0.003257,0.010568&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=13.365941,43.286133&t=h&hnear=Leeds,+West+Yorkshire,+United+Kingdom&z=17&layer=c&cbll=53.796528,-1.539518&panoid=aJqBu5usBsfdj0-_5phNVg&cbp=12,206.31,,0,3.47

Never been into Storeys since it moved here,but it was originally on the corner of Duncan Street and Call Lane when it first opened in the mid 80's,

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=leeds&hl=en&ll=53.795911,-1.541026&spn=0.003257,0.010568&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=13.365941,43.286133&t=h&hnear=Leeds,+West+Yorkshire,+United+Kingdom&z=17&layer=c&cbll=53.795845,-1.540896&panoid=iIJIPcbuQOeompDcRb5fWQ&cbp=12,252.89,,0,1.98

When it was here the place was peppered with video games (well it was the late 80's Thumbs Up)

The original Penny Arcade was one of my arcade 'haunts' throughout the 80's as well.It was place were a lot of black guys used to hang out for some reason ?.It was in 'Bramley's Yard' next door to 'Big Lil's' nightclub,

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=leeds&hl=en&ll=53.79906,-1.541004&spn=0.003105,0.010568&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=13.365941,43.286133&t=h&hnear=Leeds,+West+Yorkshire,+United+Kingdom&layer=c&cbll=53.798967,-1.540933&panoid=RRdG7fUgKmxoBEcm1-8vtg&cbp=12,213.4,,0,7.31&z=17

Mill Hill amusements on Mill Hill near the City Square,

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=leeds&hl=en&ll=53.79546,-1.545632&spn=0.003131,0.010568&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=13.365941,43.286133&t=h&hnear=Leeds,+West+Yorkshire,+United+Kingdom&layer=c&cbll=53.79546,-1.545632&panoid=zn0IENP7kCy5Po9h9CMxgw&cbp=12,78.99,,0,2.83&z=17

And finishing off with the Starlight Room on Lower Briggate (which is now an 'adult' shop LOL)

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=leeds&hl=en&ll=53.794739,-1.542377&spn=0.003105,0.010568&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=13.365941,43.286133&t=h&hnear=Leeds,+West+Yorkshire,+United+Kingdom&layer=c&cbll=53.794726,-1.542382&panoid=waNCByfHzDC1p_GuVKkc8w&cbp=12,281.76,,0,2.79&z=17

Just remembered another place that had a few cabs in.It wasn't an actual arcade as such but an Indian Takeaway but like i say it had a nice collection of cabs in over the years (around 8 or 9 at a time as they did 'rotate' them with differant machines every once an a while.

It was called 'The Tandoori' at the time but did change its name to the 'Kohinoor' back end of the 80'S.The same Indian family owned the place all the time i used to go in,and one of their sons was a very good Defender player.I remember his initails he put up were 'Ish' on the high score chart.

Its about 80 yards up Lower Briggate to the Starlight on the same side of the road.Its next to the Viaduct pub,

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=leeds&hl=en&ll=53.795188,-1.542495&spn=0.003283,0.010568&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=13.365941,43.286133&t=h&hnear=Leeds,+West+Yorkshire,+United+Kingdom&layer=c&cbll=53.795014,-1.542472&panoid=TB-oK1ElIbloKnHCmGUyYg&cbp=12,256.27,,0,2.01&z=17

Edited by Russ J - 24 April 2012 at 8:01pm
Cabs...

Atari Starwars

and...

Currantly building a scratch Euro Robotron
MrFancyPants View Drop Down
Insert Coin
Insert Coin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrFancyPants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2013 at 9:12pm
Amazing where google brings you!
This thread brings back a few memories. I used to chuck a fair few 10ps into Gauntlet and Gauntlet II in '85 and '86 too. You would see the same faces week in week out and it did become a bit social.
Some definite weirdos hanging around ! I was always chuffed to bits to get a top 5 score, they never lasted long though.
Think the first time I went in there was '84. They had a Space Ace. But had many great games over the years...some have already been mentioned but they also had marble madness, roadblasters, return of the jedi, indiana jones.

I think when storeys opened they lost a fair bit of business as storeys had a much higher turnaround of new games. It went mad in there when SF2 arrived on the scene.
4 player main event they had was good fun; I think this was a conversion of the gauntlet 2 cab they had briefly. Also had xenophobe, operation wolf, twin tiger, truxton, ahh the memory has gone!

The indian place just up from starlight was an odd one, but even the strong aroma of curry wasn't enough to detract from a good collection of games! turbo, xevious, iron horse, and even mach3 at one point. 

Russ J View Drop Down
High Score
High Score

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Russ J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2013 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by MrFancyPants MrFancyPants wrote:

Amazing where google brings you!
This thread brings back a few memories. I used to chuck a fair few 10ps into Gauntlet and Gauntlet II in '85 and '86 too. You would see the same faces week in week out and it did become a bit social.
Some definite weirdos hanging around ! I was always chuffed to bits to get a top 5 score, they never lasted long though.
Think the first time I went in there was '84. They had a Space Ace. But had many great games over the years...some have already been mentioned but they also had marble madness, roadblasters, return of the jedi, indiana jones.

I think when storeys opened they lost a fair bit of business as storeys had a much higher turnaround of new games. It went mad in there when SF2 arrived on the scene.
4 player main event they had was good fun; I think this was a conversion of the gauntlet 2 cab they had briefly. Also had xenophobe, operation wolf, twin tiger, truxton, ahh the memory has gone!

The indian place just up from starlight was an odd one, but even the strong aroma of curry wasn't enough to detract from a good collection of games! turbo, xevious, iron horse, and even mach3 at one point. 

I'm guessing your a Leeds lad then ?

Sounds like you used to go into these arcade around the same time as me (I were around the late 70's to around 89' for me (Birds and nightclubs took overLOL)

The Indian takeaway was only one of 2 places I remember a Robotron cab was in Leeds (the other I knew about was in the cafeteria in the Leeds Collage Of Building on North Street,this would have been around the late 80's as I were on my Joinery apprenticeship by then)

When I were going into the Indian takeaway I remember the Xevious cab there and there were a few lads that were superb on that game,one was a black guy who put up his initials on the high score table as 'Gaf'....another good player was a lad called John who had very bright ginger hair (a mad looking guy who was a little older than me but was sound all the same)

I remember the Starlight getting the Return Of The Jedi cab in,the owner (he knew me and my mates by then) kept telling us that a new 'starwars' game was coming in soon...It was the first arcade to get a Jedi cab in Leeds (town center anyway)....I remember Marble Madness,Indian Jones,Roadrunner in there,the Gauntlet as well (which was straight in front of you when you walked through the door)

Edited by Russ J - 12 September 2013 at 9:40pm
Cabs...

Atari Starwars

and...

retro27 View Drop Down
Power Up
Power Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote retro27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2013 at 2:51pm
Wow great read. I can remmber when Starlight got Mortal Kombat and later Mortal Kombat 2.
I use to go there every day during my lunch break spending my lunch money playing them.
Good old Days..
Play the Past
mrgrissom View Drop Down
High Score
High Score

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrgrissom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2013 at 3:56pm
i know all those haunts,well played russ with google street maps.
would have done that my self if no one had.

mill hill was a kool place,first and only place i knew that had a full size super mario bros. arcade cab in it,not a play choice version.thats 1985 cause 1986 i bought a nes with it .
had some great cabs in there triple player championship sprint,being one of em.in the windows,if ya know what i mean  there was asteroids,star wars upright.

penny arcade was a true saturday joint for me with the likes of galaga 88.upright outrun.salamander,gradius,bionic commando.as u entered paperboy,720`.

storeys was my personal favourite. with r-type,section z,3 wonders.truxton,twin cobra,space harrier.mortal kombat was there although not a game for me.or the countless fruit machines they had.

the tandoori place was there also i was 13 and at high school.they had 3 cabs in there. gyruss,xevious and defender there was always this black kid on it he were shit hot at defender so never got a go.dinner time was always extended for me fook school.

starlight was also kool place with the likes of  gauntlet as mentioned soon as u walk in 4 player version..indiana jones ,gorf at back of gaunlet,sky kid,star wars return of jedi.loads more ive forgot about.

center four was a bit shitty my opinion the place was just a laser quest had a few cabs think they were mainly neo geo cabs..

but you are missing 4 more places.1 of em u needed to be friendly with the guy me and my mate where(not sexually mind)..

ill keep you guessing for awhile and ill up where they actually were.one is easy as its the merrion bowling centre.thats your only freebie.
and if your a serious leeds lad and gamer u should know where they were..

wanted.anything for free.
arcade boards prefered.
Defender1981 View Drop Down
Level Up
Level Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Defender1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2013 at 6:19pm
I played at most of the arcades in Leeds between 78 and 83, mill hill was my favourite and where I was the first to get 999,975 on Defender in 81, my tag was HTG.
Merrion Centre bowling alley was the first place I played Space Invaders in 78 and then Galaxians the following year, liked that place a lot.

Other places, 1980 playing Missile Command at Las Vegas amusements near the corn exchange, and my all time favourite place was Kebab House in Chapletown, now that's where the real Defender was played. Great memories.
Russ J View Drop Down
High Score
High Score

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Russ J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2013 at 10:14pm
The arcades (not cafes etc...) I remember from the 80's were...

The Starlight Rooms
The Original Penny Arcade
Mill Hill Amusements
Las Vegas Amusements (didn't go in there much as it was more of a fruit machine place,also they were nto keen on letting anyone in under the age of 16 for some reason)
Stories Amusements (when it first came to Leeds not where it is now)

There may have been a number of arcades out of the town center but I never knew of them...

The cafes,Bowling alleys etc... which had varous numbers of cabs in them were...

The Tandoori (they did have a Tron in there at one time and that is where I got my high score (clocked it at 1,000,000)

The Klondike Cafe (went in only the once and if you are a proper Leeds lad through and through
you'll no why LOL)

The Leeds Bowl (back of the Merrion Center)

L.A.Bowl (actually more of a 90's place tbh I assumed they had the odd cab or 2 in there but I never went in the place)

There was a cafe on North Street that had a Defender cab in there but can't remember the name of the cafe

Also another cafe on York Street (on the row where Bab's Tattoo shop was) they had a Defender cab in it...

Leeds University had a big cafeteria in it which had a few cabs in there (Dragons Lair and an upright Starwars are the ones I remember in there...)

There was also a cafe in the Cross Green area (opposite what used to be Cross Green high school and they had basement with a few cabs in as well (mainly bootlegs if I remember rightly,think they had a dedicated Carnival though...a 'certain' well known East End Park 'hard man's' parents owned
that cafe if I remember rightly as well...

There were a few cabs in the International Pool building as well upstairs...
Center Four...again never actually went in the place

Mrgrissom...I got my highest score on that very Space Harrier in Stories in 85' (was a standard 'upright' version) 32.000.000+ Thumbs Up

Also that Starwars upright in the Mill Hill my mate got his highest score on that (think it was some 31.000.000+ he was a chinese guy who put up the initials 'MMM' on the high score table)

Edited by Russ J - 13 September 2013 at 10:30pm
Cabs...

Atari Starwars

and...

mrgrissom View Drop Down
High Score
High Score

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrgrissom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2013 at 9:28am
uve picked up another place russ with klondike cafe.
yeah u didnt stay in there for very long.

there this one..like i said previously u needed to know the guy.
where the black shutter door is thats the entrance u went downstairs he had shed load of cabs,pool table in middle cabs all the way round it.some oldies too like.mr do,jungle jim,hunchback.space invaders to name a few.

also he had 4 cabs in door way on next pic blue doors next to regent. terra force, xevious,fire shark and another shmup but carnt remember what it was.

the actually clothes shop was the original game station before it moved over the road.small but good thats about 1991 very much the snes megadrive period.

the other was in side merrion centre right at back,it was a video library then was full of arcade cabs.opposite a guy who sold 2nd hand gear videos tvs,radios.had about 8 cabs on that spot.
carnt remember what games.probably amidar,carnival.

the other was 30 yards away in the cafe next to the joke shop.
4 cabs in it mr do,bomb jack (my high score would have been on it at some point roughly 750k GAZ)donkey kong and space invaders.

the only other i went to was at bradford inside the ice rink.place was full of cabs.tron,track and field,twin cobra.xevious.loads more.

this was all roughly between 1983-1991.

id love to know whats down there now.i reckon it would be such a kool place for us leeds lads to get an arcade back in there.

Edited by mrgrissom - 14 September 2013 at 9:31am
wanted.anything for free.
arcade boards prefered.
Russ J View Drop Down
High Score
High Score

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Russ J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2013 at 11:35pm
Ah I no exactly where that black shutter place is (actually I just passed that very place this evening as me & my wife went to the 'Cattle Grid' restaurent at the back of the Corn Exchange)....Tbh I never went in there but if it would have been 1991 then I'd stopped playing video games by then (I would have been 20 years of age...)

The original Games Station shop you mentioned (before it moved over the road) was once a cafe as well,the exterior was painted all in red and was called 'Gills Cafe',it was owned by an asian professional wrestler called Gill (who drove around in a beige coloured Merc)...They had a Robotron cab in there for a time as well (thats 3 Robotrons I remember now in Leeds,totally forgot about that one until you put up the photo)....

There was a small newspaper stand that sold sweets,crisps etc...just over the road at the side of Stories amusements (what used to be the Scotsman pub years ago),i knew the owner and the owners son (mother was called Shirley,the son was called Neil) they lived in Miggy....Neil was a good Defender player if I remember rightly......

Can't remember the cabs in the Merrion Center (I assume your on about the Merrion 'superstore' at the back on the Center,as thats the only joke shop I remember in there ?)...If yes you 'may' remember a shop opening in there that sold computer games (mainly Atari stuff for the 600xl,800xl,520st etc...) it was called 'ABC' computers and the owner was a guy called Mick...

Edited by Russ J - 14 September 2013 at 11:38pm
Cabs...

Atari Starwars

and...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic